Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

"hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaf
I have the same sound and really only notice it when stopped. I think it is AC related and have turned the AC off when I hear it and it stops immediately. I did not notice it until recently. I am coming up on the 15k service and will post if the dealer has a solution.
Did your dealer find a solution? I still have the "tea kettle" whistle even after the AC blower got replaced. It's not as loud, but it's still there.

I also have a single "knocking" noise every time I accelerate from stop. I'm afraid I got a lemon...

BTW, I have a 2013 3.0 Prestige.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I too have a single knock on take off. Take offs seem botched to me and the shift from first to second is not as smooth as the others. I drove a 2.0 A6 loaner and that behaved normally. Someone mentioned a TSB that may apply to this condition in another post. Let me know if you bring it in and what is done. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard something from near the base of the windshield when I was idling at a stop light which was a combination of a whistling wind rushing noise, a hoo/hum like an A/C compressor or the large radiator fan, and a gurgling noise like the A/C gas.

I normally leave my climate control on Auto and 74F (A/C runs yearround in Florida), but I tried switching the airflow to the face level vents only. I could hear the vent near the base of the windshield close, and the noise went away. Then, even when I switched back to Auto, the noise did not come back, and I'm pretty sure the windshield vent remained closed.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
I heard something from near the base of the windshield when I was idling at a stop light which was a combination of a whistling wind rushing noise, a hoo/hum like an A/C compressor or the large radiator fan, and a gurgling noise like the A/C gas.

I normally leave my climate control on Auto and 74F (A/C runs yearround in Florida), but I tried switching the airflow to the face level vents only. I could hear the vent near the base of the windshield close, and the noise went away. Then, even when I switched back to Auto, the noise did not come back, and I'm pretty sure the windshield vent remained closed.
I'll try your suggestion. When you paid 60k+ for a car, you don't expect "workarounds" for something so trivial as an AC...