Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

"hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did somebody check the A/C? (turning on and off)

Again:
It worked for me so I want to see if everybody has the same issue (we may need a "massive" complain)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only noticed a loud noise when the kids turn the AC down to lowest setting and it tends to turn on and off up front (where windshield meet the dash). Do you have the 4 zone AC with rear controls?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have turned the AC off when I hear the noise and then it makes the sound for a few seconds and stops. It seems silent after that but gets so hot in Florida I turn it back on. So it might very well be AC related. It really doesn't sound vent related, the sound really sounds like it is coming from the engine area.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinDaytona
I have turned the AC off when I hear the noise and then it makes the sound for a few seconds and stops. It seems silent after that but gets so hot in Florida I turn it back on. So it might very well be AC related. It really doesn't sound vent related, the sound really sounds like it is coming from the engine area.
Correct

Not the fan (vent) but the A/C compressor
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found a solution?

I cannot believe that Audi hasn't found a solution for this.

Has anybody talked to Audi dealers about this issue?
Summer is back so the A/C noise is back and very annoying
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haven't checked the forum in a while - but this noise finally got to me. Glad I'm not crazy. I think I've traced it to my steering wheel. Seriously - I can replicated the noise most of the time by turning the wheel. I usually only hear it at low speeds while turning or even standing still, but turning the wheel. It's not all the time but I think it's only when the wheel is being turned. Haven't taken to the dealer as it stopped for about a month (or I just stopped noticing it) but it slapped me in the face on Sunday and I'm thinking it's time. Can anyone else replicate? When u hear it and then it stops...turn your wheel again...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's definitely the AC. I was experiencing the whistling noise and turning off the AC makes it go away. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the AC blower behind the glove box. After it was replaced, I thought I heard the "hoooing" again but compared to the high pitch whistling I was experienced, it's much better. I tried closing the AC vent in the glove and I think that might have also helped but only time will tell...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's definitely the AC. I was experiencing the whistling noise and turning off the AC makes it go away. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the AC blower behind the glove box. After it was replaced, I thought I heard the "hoooing" again but compared to the high pitch whistling I experienced, it's much better. I tried closing the AC vent in the glove and I think that might have also helped but only time will tell...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have heard this. It happens only when I am stopped, and when it is hot out. I have the Climate Control on auto all the time, and it uses the AC during winter as well and didn't hear it. I am 99% sure it is something with the AC cycling. Anyone know if the MMI screen has a fan in it, or just passive cooling?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same sound and really only notice it when stopped. I think it is AC related and have turned the AC off when I hear it and it stops immediately. I did not notice it until recently. I am coming up on the 15k service and will post if the dealer has a solution.

Quick Reply: "hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?