Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

"hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?

Okay this is going to probably be impossible to describe on the forum, but maybe somebody else has had this problem and can help. I have an intermittent problem that I don't know how to replicate to show the dealership. There is this sound that I notice when stopped or moving slowly that sounds kind of like the sound a wine glass makes if you rub your finger around the rim. It last for 3 seconds or so stops and then happens randomly again. It sounds like its from the engine or dash area. It happens when moving or not so its not the brakes. Any ideas, has this happened to anyone and what was the solution?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinDaytona
It happens when moving or not so its not the brakes.
That sentence is a little confusing, but do you hear it right when you let go of the brake, like without acceleration when the gear is at D?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
That sentence is a little confusing, but do you hear it right when you let go of the brake, like without acceleration when the gear is at D?
While in drive it can start and stop while at a stop light, without taking my foot off the brake. It can happen while coasting and not touching the brakes and it can happen while braking. It seems to not be related to them at all.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check for anything loose in the car, wheel wells and such. Then note the wind speed of that day and direction when the sound happens. I think the noise could be coming in like that, a friend had a problem with weird noise, it was the wind passing under the wheel well.

I can't imagine it being a problem with the rubber insulation and such, being such a new car.

Problem is, with such noises, it's hard to really pinpoint because they easily bounce. So it's possible it's coming from behind you, but bouncing on your front windshield.

When I had my mustang I had a noise right after I let go off the break, it was almost like brake wear...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. Finally someone else heard it. We have a new 2012 Q7 with the 3.0T engine. When it's cold, we hear a high pitch ringing noise (not that loud). It goes away after 20 seconds or so. It won't ring again for the rest of the day. It has a metallic ring to it. I wonder if it's the super charger whining before it gets lubed with warm engine oil?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay this is going to probably be impossible to describe on the forum, but maybe somebody else has had this problem and can help. I have an intermittent problem that I don't know how to replicate to show the dealership. There is this sound that I notice when stopped or moving slowly that sounds kind of like the sound a wine glass makes if you rub your finger around the rim. It last for 3 seconds or so stops and then happens randomly again. It sounds like its from the engine or dash area. It happens when moving or not so its not the brakes. Any ideas, has this happened to anyone and what was the solution?
I believe I heard a similar noise the other day. It's turned hot here in LA and I drove the car for an extended period of time, when I started hearing the noise you describe coming from the engine or wheel well. I was concerned I had inadvertently hit something and my wheel was damaged or a something in the well was loose. Everything checked out and heard it briefly yesterday but nothing since. Like yours, I only heard at a idle or when going below 20 mph or so in stop and go traffic.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm hearing similar. For me, it's definitely a "hooooo" noise that sounds like a train horn from really far away. I believe it happens all the time but can only be hear at low speeds.

At first, I thought it was really a train but after hearing it more, I think it's coming from the A/C on a hot day.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Speedmaster
I'm hearing similar. For me, it's definitely a "hooooo" noise that sounds like a train horn from really far away. I believe it happens all the time but can only be hear at low speeds.

At first, I thought it was really a train but after hearing it more, I think it's coming from the A/C on a hot day.
I think the A/C is a good thought. Maybe its something cycling on and off. Distant Train Horn is a VERY good description!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

The next time it happens, quickly turn off the A/C and see if the noise goes away. I'll do the same.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sure this isn't it, but I'll mention it anyway ... I heard a similar type of sound (but not really coming from the dash area), and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. Then it dawned on me that I only heard it when I had the ventilated seat cooler on.

Turns out the motor for the cooled seats makes a sound exactly like what you're describing, and you only can hear it at slow speeds, etc. -- i.e., when other noise doesn't drown it out.

Like I said, probably not at all what you're talking about ... but maybe this will help someone else who's wondering about this other "hooo" sound.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: "hooo" noise from engine or dash. What is it?