Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

HELP PLEASE

Old 02-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Maverick61 I like your curt way of telling me to sod off simply because I refuse to agree with you.

Honestly, who buys a car and then complains about their little problems? It's SOFTWARE RELATED. I get really annoyed at people who buy cars for the tech rather than the machine it's supposed to be, because deep down, that tech is there to polish the turd underneath.

However, when you niggle and fuss about the most minute of tech, you really are skirting the issue and reaching far too high.

The simple fact is that you can look at the Audi as a glorified VW. Or you can admire some virtues of the Audi that make it so much better than a VW and the competition.

People that like to point out the smallest edge case as a QA analyst really have no clue what's really going on behind the scenes. In OP's scenario, 50% may be an actual issue, the remaining 50% is all in the head. Therefore, it's a corner case. NOBODY can help OP with that.

In addition, nobody here cares enough to help. Your solution of complaining more doesn't help. I offered real help. The solution is to wait it out and be patient. Don't jump to conclusions and don't over analyze.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just to mention the flip side of the coin, not everyone is unhappy with the electric steering update. For those, who have had the excessive off-center wandering (i.e. me) or those experiencing the reported, sometimes dangerous "notching" of the steering wheel (where there seems to be a detent of sorts before the steering takes effect), this update should mostly solve those issues. For those who prefer using the steering Comfort mode with its lesser effort, the update has no noticeable negative consequences. It's all a matter of preference and priorities if one needs a resolution to the previously mentioned steering issues.
I am actually in both camps. I started experiencing the problems before the update of the car wandering and notching. Since the update the steering is more accurate and the car stays on center but the lightness is terrible in my opinion. I haven't really heard anyone 'liking' the new lightness of the steering, especially in dynamic mode, but it is more important for the original problems to be fixed.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I am actually in both camps. I started experiencing the problems before the update of the car wandering and notching. Since the update the steering is more accurate and the car stays on center but the lightness is terrible in my opinion. I haven't really heard anyone 'liking' the new lightness of the steering, especially in dynamic mode, but it is more important for the original problems to be fixed.
I didn't have a major problem with the update until the weather got cold this winter. At that point, it was very difficult to keep the car on-center on the highway with the steering in Dynamic mode. I actually thought the steering was better (though noticeably lighter) immediately post-update.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

in2dwww - I am not even going to bother dignifying your latest comments with any further response
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Banned

For a yankee, you have a nice backhand. Thank the lord. Bless your heart. Peace is upon us! Praise jesus. Amen.

Originally Posted by Maverick61
in2dwww - I am not even going to bother dignifying your latest comments with any further response
Old 03-01-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe there are two things at play here.

First, there apparently were enough complaints about the electric steering, especially the potentially scary notching issue, that Audi felt it was necessary to do the update automatically when brought in for service. They must have also decided not to make it a safety recall which perhaps they felt would draw too much negative attention. No way to know their motivations for this, of course.

Second, I have a feeling that while they may have been aware of the Dynamic steering effort consequences, they could not maintain the same characteristics with the update as before due to limitations of the current electromechanical design. In other words, they couldn't make it work the way many owners would have preferred while at the same time solving the other potential driveability issues.

I'm guessing, since Audi felt it was safety related, they felt that automatically doing the update was the lesser of two evils from their perspective. Unfortunately, that always results in making some people unhappy. They could have made the update available only upon request by an owner but again, if they felt it was safety related, chose not to do so.

Maybe in the future they'll figure out a way to eliminate the compromises in the existing hardware/software. If it requires newly designed steering components, however, covering existing cars under warranty will be a tough (and expensive) pill for them to swallow. We'll just have to wait and see if A) there are enough owners complaining and if so, B) if it's even possible with the existing models' design.
I would like to suggest we stop arguing about this topic and read the above as the most "well reasoned" response in this thread.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

This thread is now closed due to devolving into rambling, argumentative, irrelevant dissertations that serve no further, useful purpose to other AW members. (Feel free to continue any back and forth through PM).

Search this Thread