Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

had an A6 TDI loaner today

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you would calculate the cost benefit of a Hyundai Sonata vs. an Audi A6 TDI
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by mike-nd
Perhaps you would calculate the cost benefit of a Hyundai Sonata vs. an Audi A6 TDI
The pain and suffering number associated with the Sonata would be too difficult to calculate.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

I too had the opportunity to drive a TDI loaner for a hundred miles this week as my car was serviced. Some observations from the premium plus model TDI with 2k miles:

As the car pulled up I noticed immediately the raspiness of the diesel. It wasn't loud but sounded unrefined from outside the car. I was ready for that. Entering the premium plus felt very familar until I went to the climate control. Someone please tell me that you dont need to manually adjust both the driver and passenger temp to keep both sides running the same! I couldnt find a way to keep it in auto mode for temp on both sides without doing so.
The car had the optional 19" wheels which were slightly more compliant but noticeably less glued to the road as compared to my 20" wheel package. Highway noise was similar to the 20s however the humming from the stock Pirellis on my car was (thankfully) missing in the loaner.

As i moved away from my first stop light and gave it full throttle it felt for an instant as if the car wanted to rip the drive shafts from the wheels as the torque quickly built up---what a rush! First thought was "I could quickly grow to love the diesel " On the highway at 70mph and giving it full throttle made the car move along well but it certainly didn't have the effortless and seemingly endless pull of the 3.0. It wasn't slow but you can certainly feel the difference as you get in to highway speeds. No noticeable lag from a stop just a smooth power delivery with the transmission moving through the gears better than my own car.
Using the mileage display which I reset before my trip showed that the commute of mixed stop and go along with some nice 65 mph cruising returned 33 mpg.

I could certainly make the switch to this car if it had options I have-what a great combination of luxury and performance with the benefit of great mileage.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
I too had the opportunity to drive a TDI loaner for a hundred miles this week as my car was serviced. Some observations from the premium plus model TDI with 2k miles:

As the car pulled up I noticed immediately the raspiness of the diesel. It wasn't loud but sounded unrefined from outside the car. I was ready for that. Entering the premium plus felt very familar until I went to the climate control. Someone please tell me that you dont need to manually adjust both the driver and passenger temp to keep both sides running the same! I couldnt find a way to keep it in auto mode for temp on both sides without doing so.
The car had the optional 19" wheels which were slightly more compliant but noticeably less glued to the road as compared to my 20" wheel package. Highway noise was similar to the 20s however the humming from the stock Pirellis on my car was (thankfully) missing in the loaner.

As i moved away from my first stop light and gave it full throttle it felt for an instant as if the car wanted to rip the drive shafts from the wheels as the torque quickly built up---what a rush! First thought was "I could quickly grow to love the diesel " On the highway at 70mph and giving it full throttle made the car move along well but it certainly didn't have the effortless and seemingly endless pull of the 3.0. It wasn't slow but you can certainly feel the difference as you get in to highway speeds. No noticeable lag from a stop just a smooth power delivery with the transmission moving through the gears better than my own car.
Using the mileage display which I reset before my trip showed that the commute of mixed stop and go along with some nice 65 mph cruising returned 33 mpg.

I could certainly make the switch to this car if it had options I have-what a great combination of luxury and performance with the benefit of great mileage.
Very curious how you managed to have 19" less glued to the road?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by iBetterDoNow
Very curious how you managed to have 19" less glued to the road?
I have 20's on my car and as compared to those there is a noticeable difference in handling.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Drove past my local Exxon station this morning and diesel was $3.99 and Premium was $4.25 per gallon. So the diesel was actually cheaper.

The EPA combined MPG number for the 3.0T is 22MPG, or 19.3 cents per mile.

The EPA combined MPG number for the TDI is 29 MPG, or 13.7 cents per mile.

As a result, the TDI is 5.6 cents per mile less expensive to operate.

The 2015 TDI costs $2,400 more than a comparable 3.0T. With the fuel savings of 5.6 cents per mile, the additional cost of the 2015 TDI will be recovered in 42,857 miles. The 2014 TDI has an additional Audi incentive of $1,500 over and above what was offered on the 3.0T, bringing the price difference down to $900. As a result of the smaller delta, with the fuel savings of 5.6 cents per mile the additional cost of the 2014 TDI will be recovered in 16,071 miles.

I also just checked Edmunds and when comparing two identically equipped 2014 Premium Plus A6 cars, one with the 3.0T and the other with the TDI, the trade in value on the TDI is $2,686 higher, which is even more than the additional cost when upgrading to the 2014 TDI. As a result, you really recover the additional cost of the TDI as soon as you buy the car. In fact, you make nearly $1,800 when they hand you the keys to a 2014 TDI.

So if you have the finances to spend a few extra bucks up front, you can get better acceleration to 60, faster time in the quarter mile, and help the environment. So it is a winner for everyone involved.
Well calculated! As usual - it is hard to argue with numbers.
One more significant cost advantage of the TDI is the time saved by needing fewer stops at the gas station. What is your time worth? Let's assume $60/h or $120/h then a typical 10 minute stop to pull in to a gas station, fill up, exit etc. is worth $10 or $20 or more and this starts to add quickly. (See post of the guy with the S550 and his complaints about frequent stops to fill-up.)