Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google Earth on MMI

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Earth on MMI

I have a question about what shows up on my Nav screen vs reality. I have Google as my source but a road that is finished still shows not. This is a 4 lane road that has been completed for a couple years and is in a developed area between 2 interstates and fronting a college campus.

What I'd like to know is does Google load maps on a regular basis such that this road should be shown as complete or is there some kind of updating I have to have done?

When I look a Google on my desktop it is correct but the car doesn't show what it should be. What am I missing?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Google is just an overlay, the map comes from the hard disk in your car and is pretty old.
The dealer can update the map for you for around $500, but they are still 6-9 mo behind.
I use Google's WAZE for navigation most of the time.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

google owns waze?

so the google map is not the same map that loads on our phones google map satellite view?

it cant just be stored on the cars hard drive because then the google view would work with or without audi connect(internet)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't confuse the Google Earth in your car with the internal map. As mentioned, Google Earth is simply a photo overlay equal to what Google Map shows in the Earth view on your phone or cpmputer - is is not a map though in the car. The internal map data in the MMI is static and can only be updated by the dealer. The nav map data is provided by NavTeq, not Google, in a MY2013 A6.

Keep in mind that the Earth (satellite) view is only updated infrequently by Google whereas their POI data, which is used by Audi Connect for Google online destination searches, is updated much more often..
Old 04-15-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it, so there could be a visible "new" street on the overlay but not yet on the internal map on the cars hard drive.

It wont know that road is there.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by f_399
Got it, so there could be a visible "new" street on the overlay but not yet on the internal map on the cars hard drive.

It wont know that road is there.
Exactly. Since the newer street and address data isn't in the internal map, you can't use the nav to set an address destination. You can however, use the map pointer to set the spot to navigate to the location (since the street doesn't exist in the map data, it will say something like the destination is not on a public street" or some such). But you would have to know where the address and street is located first. If it's a POI like a business using online Google search, you can usually navigate to it as well. It will get you close.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

how often does release updated to NAV maps.

do they update for free under warranty .

if so, be sure to do all the updates before the warranty ends
Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2016 models update auto automatically. But the predecessors need paid updates from your dealer.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Annual U.S. Nav updates for MY2012-2015 C7s run about $400 and are only avaialable to be installed by the dealer. They are not covered under warranty.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
2016 models update auto automatically. But the predecessors need paid updates from your dealer.
2016 models don't update automatically, but are owner updateable either by initiating the update over the LTE connection which takes several days or downloading it to an SD card on your computer from my.audi.com and then doing an update from the SD card taking several hours. Also only the first few updates are free. I believe it's 6 updates, but it could be less. They push out an update every 6 months, so you essentially get free map updates for the first 3 years, but after that you have to pay for it, too. It's better than the predecessors, but still not a straight forward process and not free forever. One of the issue with doing the update from the SD card is that you have to periodically start the engine to make sure the battery doesn't run out of juice.

Quick Reply: Google Earth on MMI