Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Getting a '12 Prestige.. questions about sport pkg

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a '12 Prestige.. questions about sport pkg

Hi all.. the time has come to sell (well trade actually) my '07 Daytona Gray A6 S Line.. I love the car, and really don't want to part with it, but I just found out that 3 years ago, the dealer set fire to the engine block while cleaning carbon build up. They never told me, the fire alarms went off due to the extinguisher and the local FD recorded the VIN.

So the dealer will give me full trade value for the car...

My questions are about the sport pkg. My '07 has the S Line package that has the sports suspension. I love the lowered look, but it is harsh in the winter around here in New England on the frost heaves.

I've test driven a few '12s and put the ride system into Dynamic mode; but those cars didn't have the sports package.

I know the sports package for '12 lowers the car a bit, but is it a different suspension as well? Could I get a more comfortable ride in the winter by putting the ride system into Comfort mode, despite having the sports package?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WNT2FLY
I know the sports package for '12 lowers the car a bit, but is it a different suspension as well? Could I get a more comfortable ride in the winter by putting the ride system into Comfort mode, despite having the sports package?
I don't know if the A6 has a different suspension when equipped with the sport suspension. I haven't heard it mentioned by anyone.

I do know that only the S6 has the adjustable suspension in the USA. Changing modes has no effect on the spring rate or ride height of the USA A6/A7's.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I don't know if the A6 has a different suspension when equipped with the sport suspension. I haven't heard it mentioned by anyone.
Yes, different suspension setup - per Audi: "Sport suspension calibration".

To the OP, I'm also in New England and have had the sport suspension on my '10 and '14 A6's and have found the ride firm, but not harsh, regardless of road conditions - could be the suspension on your '07 has deteriorated a little with age/miles.

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I do know that only the S6 has the adjustable suspension in the USA. Changing modes has no effect on the spring rate or ride height of the USA A6/A7's.
Correct, the car adjustments only affect the steering, engine response (shift points) and seatbelt tensioning.

Last edited by audi40; 07-27-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Yes, different suspension setup - per Audi: "Sport suspension calibration"

Correct, the car adjustments only effect the steering and engine/throttle response (and seatbelt tensioning).
Interesting, maybe the placebo effect, but the suspension felt completely different when moving the car setup to "comfort" from "dynamic"...
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting, maybe the placebo effect, but the suspension felt completely different when moving the car setup to "comfort" from "dynamic"...
Most definitely was your imagination. Adjustable suspension is offered on the C7 A6/A7 in ROW only and C7 S6/S7 everywhere. Check audiusa.com - you won't see it mentioned anywhere in the features or specs.

Note that tires and wheel size will make a difference in ride. I'm in New England as well so I went with the 19" Sport as I felt it was a good compromise between ride and handling. Very happy with the result, especially after dumping the Pirelli P-Zeros for Bridgestone RS970 ultra high performance all seasons.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

snagitseven,
Thanks for the input.. I'd like to find a Prestige w/sport in my price range and color combos, but around here in NE they are few and far between. I may just turn over the title of my '07, take the check and continue my search. I've got 5 dealers looking for prestige's for me, and the one that screwed up my '07 has one, but i'm not convinced on price (phantom black/nougat, 37k miles, innovation pkg & LED lights). My price is just under $45k.. i think i can do better. considering innovation is not really needed...
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Try searching the internet yourself. I'll bet you'll do better than the dealer in finding one. Also, a private sale will be less expensive than what you'll be able to negotiate through a dealer. The only drawback of a private purchase would not being able to get a CPO warranty (which will add about $2K+ to the cost of the car from a dealer).
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Try searching the internet yourself. I'll bet you'll do better than the dealer in finding one. Also, a private sale will be less expensive than what you'll be able to negotiate through a dealer. The only drawback of a private purchase would not being able to get a CPO warranty (which will add about $2K+ to the cost of the car from a dealer).
Been doing that for the past 3 weeks now.. slim pickin's when it comes to prestige trim.. We always go for CPO..
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing that for the past 3 weeks now.. slim pickin's when it comes to prestige trim.. We always go for CPO..
Ira has a real good price on a 12 Prestige although no sport package on it.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueAllroad
Ira has a real good price on a 12 Prestige although no sport package on it.
Yah saw that one. I really want nougat and wood trim though.

Quick Reply: Getting a '12 Prestige.. questions about sport pkg