Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Gap under armrest lid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap under armrest lid?

Is it normal for the armrest lid to stop about 3/4 of an inch short of being flush with the center console? There are 2 rubber stops along the top edge of the armrest that appear to be to cushion the lid against the center console, but I can't for the life of me get the lid to actually go down that far. I've tried opening the lid all the way to disengage the internal ratchet, but it doesn't appear to help.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that is normal, I don't care for it, gives a very unfinished look. People rave about Audi interior, I find it just ok. I find much of the interior looks and feels less than luxurious and just plain old utilitarian.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Almost every reviewer and owner would disagree with that assessment. Audi understands understated class and luxury.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Almost every reviewer and owner would disagree with that assessment. Audi understands understated class and luxury.
The interior has what I feel is an immediate appeal to a few things such as the beautiful natural wood but some things take time to notice like the real aluminum touches and burled *****. I do think the gap under the armrest appears like something unfinished and opens the contents to the view of passengers. For that reason I don't store anything in there
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I believe that is normal, I don't care for it, gives a very unfinished look. People rave about Audi interior, I find it just ok. I find much of the interior looks and feels less than luxurious and just plain old utilitarian.
"utilitarian".......uhhh that's the trademark of all real German cars. They can have plenty of luxury, but nothing will stand in the way of function over form.
If you want form over function, but Asian luxury cars.
If you want no function and no form buy 'Merican. (Come one! I had to say it, this is an Audi forum so probably nobody minds )

Last edited by directorguy7; 11-21-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by directorguy7
If you want no function and no form buy 'Merican. (Come one! I had to say it, this is an Audi forum so probably nobody minds )
Domestics aren't bad at all. The seats, steering wheel, shifter and Navi on my Caddy trumped every other car I've had, German or American (I won't touch the Jap crap). Compared to the Caddys Recaros, and thick Alcantara wheel and shifter, the stuff in the Audi and BMW are garbage. Plus, I like the touch screen navi way better then the spin and push controllers in the Germans.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

To me the A6’s front armrest is just that, an armrest. I am tall and I keep it pretty high up, so it never even occurred to me to consider or evaluate the armrest as a cover for the console. The tray that is atop the console under the armrest seems to me to be finished as an open tray and is not deep enough to hold things that require concealment. I have rented cars like Kia's and such that have the armrest that clearly functions as a lid for the console compartment, but those compartments were very deep and in some cases (older models) had ridges built in to hold CD's. The armrests on those cars were not height adjustable, so they appeared to me clearly a multi-use armrest/compartment cover. I see the A6 armrest as a single purpose thing: an armrest. But that is (as they say) just me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Domestics aren't bad at all. The seats, steering wheel, shifter and Navi on my Caddy trumped every other car I've had, German or American (I won't touch the Jap crap). Compared to the Caddys Recaros, and thick Alcantara wheel and shifter, the stuff in the Audi and BMW are garbage. Plus, I like the touch screen navi way better then the spin and push controllers in the Germans.
You feel very restraint in your comments. Please speak your mind as everyone here in AW will try to understand your point of view.

I, myself, buy German (and my old Infiniti FX35) cars for their well engineered engines. Check out Ward's 10 best to understand which import and domestic brands get kudos. Too bad their threshold is only for cars up to $60K for 2014 MY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines

FYI - I have owned 2 Mustang 5.0s, 1 GMC Envoy, 1 GMC Yukon and 1 Cadillac Escalade and a Nissan Maxima. Experience tells me my current decision is still sound.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 11-22-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

One guy's garbage is another guy's Ho Jo's, as they used to say. I don't see either Audi or BMW as having garbage interiors. That being said, I hope Caddy is getting better than it was not so many years ago when they were a total joke. The latest version of the CTS is getting some good reviews - I say "good for Caddy." One thing I really do not like on some Audi's is the diamond pattern of the S6 seats. That to me looks very 1980's Chrysler LeBaron.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoy seeing how American car makers are making huge progress lately especially after emerging from bankruptcy (GM in this instance). ATS and CTS are getting awesome reviews from reputable auto magazines, in particular the handling is getting top marks. That said, however, the Germans already established themselves as leaders in luxury auto-making long long time ago. They have been and still are the leaders and the benchmark as far as the mass production luxury auto manufacturing is concerned. Experience and reputation if you will do matter. You can overhaul the entire production process and drastically improve quality control but you cannot gain the goodwill in one or two years. That my friend takes long time. The real quality needs to be demonstrated consistently over a number of generations of the vehicles. Germans did it and Cady not yet but hopefully it will sometime in the future.

Quick Reply: Gap under armrest lid?