Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Full LED Headlights - US spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by das2.7t
Surprisingly, no. ...... pretty savvy stuff.
Sure is!

I can confirm that when it is foggy, you can see cars in the distance via the IR long before you can see them visually through the fog if it is especially dense.
We don't get much fog in the Finger Lakes but we do get ten feet of snow annually. The same features would hold true when visibility is limited. Driveway snow plows and deer are more dangerous than other cars.

One other interesting geek thing since I am a meteorologist: When it is dark and partly or fully cloudy out, you can see warm advection clouds in the sky via the IR display even though you can't see anything in the dark sky with your naked eye.
Not being a meteorologist, I'll have to google what a advection cloud is. I'll take a guess that it has to do with a formation formed by heat and/or convection.

Along those lines, it was a clear cold night in western New York last night. I looked at the full moon and there was a huge, faint ring around it. I don't think that I had ever seen that before - at least I don't remember one.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have full LED's. They do produce great light and are cool looking. However, I am 99% sure they are not "smart" in any way. No movement, range extension based on speed, etc... Just nice bright light. The "fog" lights, just turn on the cornering LEDs. not very high tech. Not sure what the fog lights do on the rear of the car. The cornering LEd's go on when signaling and turning, then fade off after the turn is complete. They don't move at all just shoot light sideways.

Get innovation to avoid Deer...
Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the US Spec full LEDs. Tonight, when I turned on the car, I noticed that they actually lower then rise after the car starts... I didn't think they were supposed to do that ? Has anyone else seen this?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

The US spec LED lights do move up and down when you start the car to calibrate and adjust to keep the lights level. I believe they are set to the maximum allowable throw for US regulations.

For the Fog lights in the rear:
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just thought I would post this to show the cornering light location on the LEDs
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AutobahnA6
I have the US Spec full LEDs. Tonight, when I turned on the car, I noticed that they actually lower then rise after the car starts... I didn't think they were supposed to do that ? Has anyone else seen this?
Yes, I've said that a couple times. They are self-leveling, but only apparently if you have the light switch set to "Auto".
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Sure is!
Not being a meteorologist, I'll have to google what a advection cloud is. I'll take a guess that it has to do with a formation formed by heat and/or convection.

Along those lines, it was a clear cold night in western New York last night. I looked at the full moon and there was a huge, faint ring around it. I don't think that I had ever seen that before - at least I don't remember one.
Essentially, advection is a fancy word for movement. In the example above, there was a warm front moving warmer air aloft, making the long flat, sideways moving clouds (like stratus or cirrus) associated with that regime. Cold air advection typically creates upward moving, bulbous clouds (cumulous, etc...) typical of a summertime thunderstorm.

When you see a ring around the moon like that, it usually means there is a storm on the way. The effect is from ice crystals very high up in the atmosphere (thin cirrus clouds) moving in in advance of a storm and moonlight being refracted by those crystals. Typically, the more the ring contracts, the closer the storm is.

It's cool that we can now see some of this phenomena with the technology in the car.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by das2.7t
It's cool that we can now see some of this phenomena with the technology in the car.
Yeah, that moon roof is something, Eh?