Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trip Planning

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Planning

I traded in my 2004 A6 and bought a 2013 A6-PP. My question is on navigation with google maps with Audi Connect.

I've not yet mastered the interface and found it quite tedious. I was traveling from Michigan to Wisconsin around Chicago the south end of the lake. I selected all options and it gave me three different routes but none were using the I-294 bypass. I found this strange as the 294 bypass is so much faster.

I tried to enter a stopover on I-294 to coerce it that route but I-294 is not a listed street.

My only recourse was to use the cross hairs and set a stopover waypoint. It was nearly impossible to move the cross hairs to the interstate but was finally successful.

I guess I can use another GPS but what a disappointment as I really like Google Maps and I despise having something else tacked onto the dash.

What I'd really like is to do is trip planning on google other software and just export a GPX file to SD and pop in the dash. Does anyone know if this can be done and what I need to do it?

If not, how do you get a bunch of waypoints (or custom POI) into the MMI. I suppose I could create phone entries of addresses and import but that sounds absurd. Any other ideas?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am still figuring this out. I hope Audi works closer with Google in future versions. I would love to no have to rely on myaudi web site, but instead have the Audi connect to my Google account and pull everything I need, Calendar, contacts, and any trips I plan. There is so much they can put into this to make it a home run that I think would put them way ahead of everyone else. The myaudi portion is a mess, I can't get contacts I have in myaudi to load to my telephone directory on the MMI. My MMI went bezerk and doubled all my entries one day I had to unpair my phone, delete the directory and re-pair.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemac00
What I'd really like is to do is trip planning on google other software and just export a GPX file to SD and pop in the dash. Does anyone know if this can be done and what I need to do it?

If not, how do you get a bunch of waypoints (or custom POI) into the MMI. I suppose I could create phone entries of addresses and import but that sounds absurd. Any other ideas?
You can't import GPX files to the MMI Nav but you don't have to manually create intermediate destinations in the Directory. Assuming you have Audi Connect enabled, the next best thing is to create an account online in myAudi (https://my.audiusa.com/). Then, you can go to Google Map online and "send to car" some waypoint destinations from there. You can then navigate to them in the car Nav>Online Destinations either one at a time or you can use them to create a route and save it for later if you wish. If you haven't set up myAudi, it's explained in detail in the MMI manual and on the myAudi website.

(Note that some Firefox users, including me, have had some difficulty managing the myAudi destinations (editing, deleting and creating) on the website; I use Safari for this site which works fine).

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
The myaudi portion is a mess, I can't get contacts I have in myaudi to load to my telephone directory on the MMI.
Where are you seeing in myAudi that it has the ability to download contacts to the phone directory?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Where are you seeing in myAudi that it has the ability to download contacts to the phone directory?
Not sure exactly what he's trying to do but I seem to remember that once the destination is "Sent to car" and selected in the MMI, like any other destination, the address can be renamed and saved to the directory or a favorite (but only once it's downloaded to the car). Perhaps he's having trouble sending destinations to or from myAudi.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

snagitseven, thank you for the valuable information.

I was confused because it doesn't seem to work from the new google maps but when I selected "classic maps" it worked as in the myaudiconnect instructions. Still seems behind garmin base camp or other apps where you can set up routes and waypoints but this is better than I was expecting.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Is there a youtube video about this? I've seen multiple stopover and "save route" options when I played with the MMI but I have no idea what the "online" options are.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just go to https://my.audiusa.com and get http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11...Resolution.pdf
which is very good about step-by-step instructions with photos.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stevemac00
snagitseven, thank you for the valuable information.

I was confused because it doesn't seem to work from the new google maps but when I selected "classic maps" it worked as in the myaudiconnect instructions. Still seems behind garmin base camp or other apps where you can set up routes and waypoints but this is better than I was expecting.
Yah, the new and "improved" Google Maps beta doesn't yet support "Send to Car" yet. A lot of noise on the internet about this. Hopefully soon. If they do away with that feature, all of us Audi Connect/myAudi owners will be screwed for the loss of this valuable feature (and other brands for that matter).
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you go into the MMI and the Telephone it has option to import contacts from Audi Connect, but never does anything, says it is connecting and then nothing is imported.

Quick Reply: Trip Planning