Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Front Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Plate Holder

I live in Wisconsin where a front plate is unfortunately required to mess up the clean lines of the grille. I bought my car in Michigan (no front plate) so a holder wasn't mounted but they gave me the holder shown below.

The problem is it doesn't seem to fit. Before I cut new notches in the sides and drill holes in the grille I thought I'd seek advice for a better solution.

Has anybody used rare earth magnets? If I could take the cover off the top of the grille and put a magnet behind the plastic grille and one in front then there might be enough force to hold the plate with no holder and no holes in the grille.

Has anybody modified this holder to fit and can show a photo of how they mounted it?

(Top photo is how it doesn't quite match up. Bottom photo is back side of the plate holder provided by dealer.)
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just move somewhere that doesn't have front plates.

Problem solved.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem in Illinois. The my car was purchased in Illinois, but was originally ordered by a Tennesee dealer. It took awhile for my selling dealer to sort things out. There are several front plate brackets listed in the parts book. After two were ordered and both were wrong, the dealer took a bracket off a car in stock and put it on my car. I was still a bit dubious as it required the dealer to drill four holes in the grill to mount the bracket. It was the same on other cars on stock. Not Audis finest design detail.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have the plate holder upside down. Flip it over. It is designed so that it blocks the bottom part of the grille.

Jim
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help but I'm not getting it. Partly because I don't want to drill holes until I'm absolutely certain I'm not making a mistake.

I'm sure you're right but it doesn't seem to want to fit at all in this position. I would think the holes would be centered in the flat black areas. Maybe I need to trim the sides first so they're not blocking.

This is ridiculous. Can anybody take a close up photo of how it's supposed to fit?
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know I can help here. I just picked up my 2014 A6 Prestige 2 weeks ago and encountered the same issue where the bracket was not already on the car. The bottom line is that your dealer gave you the wrong part. The proper part is Gloss Black and the cutouts align with the ridges in the front grill entirely. It is true that you have to screw it in with self-tapping screws (I was incredulous about this also, but confirmed it with other cars on the lot). When I get home this evening, I can send you the right part number. I was a bit upset, though, because the dealer charged $200 for it (but I then validated the cost on a parts site on the web).
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK. I found the link to a web site that has the actual official part (I googled the part number from my invoice from the dealer, which is 4G0-807-285-J-T94). Here is the link - I hope this helps:

http://www.partsvp.com/products/BRAC...52dT94%29.html
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not making a mistake, that is the wrong part. It should be the same gloss black as the grill.

The real holder does have a centering tab on the back.

I will post a picture tonight.

Originally Posted by stevemac00
Thanks for the help but I'm not getting it. Partly because I don't want to drill holes until I'm absolutely certain I'm not making a mistake.

I'm sure you're right but it doesn't seem to want to fit at all in this position. I would think the holes would be centered in the flat black areas. Maybe I need to trim the sides first so they're not blocking.

This is ridiculous. Can anybody take a close up photo of how it's supposed to fit?

Last edited by manishaudi; 10-11-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely different part number (and different price).
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anybody modified this holder to fit and can show a photo of how they mounted it?

(Top photo is how it doesn't quite match up. Bottom photo is back side of the plate holder provided by dealer.)[/quote]

It should look like this.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front Plate Holder