Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Extended Warranties, Bad Experience, What are our options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the cure all, but dealing with Audi when you have a problem is way easier than a third party company, especially when you own 3 current Audi's and have been with them since '06 and have had many previous Audi vehicles. Paying their own finance people, AKA them, a large sum of money should matter in your favor too. It's the policy's starting at the in service date and miles that gets to me. I said that before, didn't I.....
Old 08-10-2020, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Bob,
No doubt an insurer of any kind is going to chase a good profit - why would they want to be in business otherwise?. My feeling is why pay for something that is more likely to benefit the provider than me if I can afford the repair? (Especially when the coverage exclusions are onerous) I guess my philosophy is I insure if a total loss would cripple me financially.For that reason I have medical, life, auto liability and homeowners insurance, most with a hefty deductible to keep the premium costs down. I don't purchase insurance policies on anything else, i.e. appliances and car "extended warranties". Instead I self insure on these and "bank" the costs against less than probable repair events that would exceed those extra policy costs. After owning over 40 vehicles in my many old fart years, I haven't lost yet. (The only exception I've made on my last four new Audis is Audi Care doing the original warranty period. After doing a financial comparison against dealer service costs, I determined it' a no-lose deal).

Jeff,
I'm with you. It's getting crazy with all the fancy mechanical and electronic stuff they are jamming into cars these days. I can see some of the obvious safety improvements such as anti-lock brakes, ASR, etc. What I could likely live without is 90% of the MMI functions. A radio would do it. Cars with radar, lane departure and many other driver assist features - more like flying an F-35 than a car.
I sometimes pine for the days of my '61 VW, '62 Ford Falcon, '68 Impala and '62 Austin Healy Sprite. I remember the fanciest add-ons I got were chrome reverse wheels for the impala and a wood shift **** for my Sprite. Those fake leather steering wheel wraps were slick too.

Tanket,
Sometimes but not always. Audi can be difficult too.. Seems the Audi people who deal with service support don't always care how many Audis you have owned. Been there, done that.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-11-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:46 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bob,
No doubt an insurer of any kind is going to chase a good profit - why would they want to be in business otherwise?. My feeling is why pay for something that is more likely to benefit the provider than me if I can afford the repair? (Especially when the coverage exclusions are onerous) I guess my philosophy is I insure if a total loss would cripple me financially.For that reason I have medical, life, auto liability and homeowners insurance, most with a hefty deductible to keep the premium costs down. I don't purchase insurance policies on anything else, i.e. appliances and car "extended warranties". Instead I self insure on these and "bank" the costs against less than probable repair events that would exceed those extra policy costs. After owning over 40 vehicles in my many old fart years, I haven't lost yet. (The only exception I've made on my last four new Audis is Audi Care doing the original warranty period. After doing a financial comparison against dealer service costs, I determined it' a no-lose deal).

Jeff,
I'm with you. It's getting crazy with all the fancy mechanical and electronic stuff they are jamming into cars these days. I can see some of the obvious safety improvements such as anti-lock brakes, ASR, etc. What I could likely live without is 90% of the MMI functions. A radio would do it. Cars with radar, lane departure and many other driver assist features - more like flying an F-35 than a car.
I sometimes pine for the days of my '61 VW, '62 Ford Falcon, '68 Impala and '62 Austin Healy Sprite. I remember the fanciest add-ons I got were chrome reverse wheels for the impala and a wood shift **** for my Sprite. Those fake leather steering wheel wraps were slick too.

Tanket,
Sometimes but not always. Audi can be difficult too.. Seems the Audi people who deal with service support don't always care how many Audis you have owned. Been there, done that.
you had a '62 A-H Spite Mark 2?
Old 08-11-2020, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
you had a '62 A-H Spite Mark 2?
Actually I had to check. It was a '65. Not sure about a version.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:55 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a Mk3. I had a red '62 Mk2 back in the day. My first car buy, in '64 whilst in the USAF. Easiest machine I ever wrenched. Paid $1,440 for it.1098 cc 56 hp at 5500 rpm and 62 lbf·ft at 3250 rpm. 45-47 mpg.. It was a death trap but it was very cool in spite of this. Had a set of seat belts too.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanket
You keep making the same point...can't you get over that some, like me didn't read the whole exclusions page?? No one said that they hid it......we're talking about the exclusions themselves, how they use them to deny claims and what plan might be better.
You didn't read the exclusions page and now you are pissed about what's on the exclusions page?
Old 08-13-2020, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by campilobaxter
You didn't read the exclusions page and now you are pissed about what's on the exclusions page?

Old 08-13-2020, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Liners
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by campilobaxter
Old 08-13-2020, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Guys, let's give the OP a break. I'm sure we have all taken someone else's word for something and then regretted it. A cursory read might not have set off as many alarm bells as a thorough lawyer-like read. I would not have expected to find as many escape hatches in the fine print as I did when I spent some quality time with the exclusions that were posted.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties, Bad Experience, What are our options?