Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 C7 Trunk closing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 C7 Trunk closing.

Hi All

Have a A6 (C7) bought new in November 2011. I find that I cannot close the Trunk (boot in the UK) on the first attempt. I need to close it shut with a little force, otherwise the trunk does not take the latch. Anyone experience this problem. Fault or a design flaw ? Grateful for any thoughts.

(2.0tdi S line Multitronic,Saloon. Ibis).
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audihorizon
Hi All

Have a A6 (C7) bought new in November 2011. I find that I cannot close the Trunk (boot in the UK) on the first attempt. I need to close it shut with a little force, otherwise the trunk does not take the latch. Anyone experience this problem. Fault or a design flaw ? Grateful for any thoughts.

I started this thread yesterday. It is an inexpensive solution to the problem.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2821511

I reference a part available in the US. There may be an equivalent in the UK.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audihorizon
Hi All

I don't have much to add other than I have the same problem with my 3 week old A6. If I use normal force, the trunk will occasionally (I'd say 1/4 of the time) not close and require me to use stronger force the second time around. I don't think it has anything to do with how and what you use to close it but I could be wrong.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It could be that the rubber seal is stiff. It might loosen up or get squashed down over time.

Mention it next time you go in for service, they might be able to adjust the latch.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I don't think it has anything to do with how and what you use to close it but I could be wrong.
No, you're not wrong. I have seen this and it appears to be related to how the car is locked. The trunk can have different options for locking set in the MMI than the doors. If I have the car locked and I open the trunk, closure feels differently than if I have the entire car unlocked or I open it using the switch in the driver's door.

I guess you could screw around with the settings/options until you track down what it is, not worth it to me.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
It could be that the rubber seal is stiff. It might loosen up or get squashed down over time.

Mention it next time you go in for service, they might be able to adjust the latch.
My list so far of issues to be addressed at first service:

Trunk rubber seal
Driver side door rattle (most likely LED strip)
MMI screen occasionally not deploying
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have that problem with the front doors, half of the time it doesnt close tight. I have to slam it and I really dont like doing that. Audi should have put in a soft close for the A6's front doors like the A8.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can opt for soft door close on the A6. I suspect you don't have that option outside europe though.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetinder
You can opt for soft door close on the A6. I suspect you don't have that option outside europe though.
The soft close option is mentioned in the USA A6 owner's manual as optional equipment, but I suspect that's a mistake unless they plan a delayed introduction.

On our new A6, the door insulation on the front edge lip of the left rear door was loose and had gotten bent into an odd shape; you might check yours to see if that's causing problems.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I started this thread yesterday. It is an inexpensive solution to the problem.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2821511

I reference a part available in the US. There may be an equivalent in the UK.
Been trying with no avail to get the lap timer menu to show up in my DIS, I heard that 2012's can't enable this feature, is this true? I saw your sig noted that you have lap timer on and your car is a 2012, how did you get it to work? (i have the option enabled in VAG)

Quick Reply: Audi A6 C7 Trunk closing.