Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electromechanical parking brake engaged while in DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electromechanical parking brake engaged while in DRIVE

Quick question - it there cause for concern when in "D" and having the electromechanical parking brake engaged while waiting at the intersection for the light to turn green? Does the brake tail lights remain lit just like if one had their foot on the brake pedal?

Sometimes, I like to take my foot on the brake pedal to rotate and stretch; just like I am able to do now with all my manual transmission cars when I am in neutral.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Quick question - it there cause for concern when in "D" and having the electromechanical parking brake engaged while waiting at the intersection for the light to turn green? Does the brake tail lights remain lit just like if one had their foot on the brake pedal?

Sometimes, I like to take my foot on the brake pedal to rotate and stretch; just like I am able to do now with all my manual transmission cars when I am in neutral.
I don't think the parking brake will engage while the car is in D.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you simply use the Audi hill-start assist?

Easy starting with no roll-back. The hill-start assist function helps you drive off on a hill. If you hold down the foot brake for a time when the vehicle is stationary, the brake pressure is retained for brief a moment after you release the brake pedal – relaxed starting on any hill or incline with no roll-back.

Stress-free hill-starting: the hill-start assist function provides assistance and safety for driving off on an incline. The advantage: as you change from the brake to the accelerator, the car remains stationary for long enough and – thanks to the system’s automatic braking intervention – you can easily pull away without rolling back. Hill-start assist is a particularly valuable feature in combination with a towing bracket.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyuni
I don't think the parking brake will engage while the car is in D.
It most definitely will. It's also the emergency brake as required on all cars. Just try it while you're rolling but be prepared for a very fast stop.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It most definitely will. It's also the emergency brake as required on all cars. Just try it while you're rolling but be prepared for a very fast stop.
That was what I thought when I drove the dealership demo car and was surprised I was able to take my foot off the brake pedal with the electro-mechanical brakes engaged.

Just wondering whether it creates a problem with the transmission later on. I could shift from Drive to Neutral to stretch my foot but using the electro-mechanical brakes seems a lot more convenient and auto disengage once I press on the gas pedal.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That was what I thought when I drove the dealership demo car and was surprised I was able to take my foot off the brake pedal with the electro-mechanical brakes engaged.

Just wondering whether it creates a problem with the transmission later on. I could shift from Drive to Neutral to stretch my foot but using the electro-mechanical brakes seems a lot more convenient and auto disengage once I press on the gas pedal.
The owner's manual, page 79, states that when stopping at a traffic signal or stopping in city traffic, the parking brake can be applied. The vehicle does not have to be held with the footbrake.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for checking and confirming.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

How about with an Automatic? I've been using it when I'm at a light. After going to a complete stop, I flick it on. Then it automatically disengages when I hit the gas, quite useful. Makes me wish I had auto hold, 2012 C250 has it and was useful.

Another way I do is after a complete stop and there is a vehicle infront of me, I flick on the ACC, it keeps the car stopped. I'm still unsure if the car starts accelerating from a complete stop after traffic started moving.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tested this last night: Engaging the electromechanical parking brake while in Drive does not activate the brake lights. Just something to keep in mind in traffic.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ptpro3
Tested this last night: Engaging the electromechanical parking brake while in Drive does not activate the brake lights. Just something to keep in mind in traffic.
Thanks for checking. Opens up options to possibly stretch my right foot while waiting at the light.

Quick Reply: Electromechanical parking brake engaged while in DRIVE