Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Epiphany

Originally Posted by ko_audi
Got it; sounds like a pretty similar situation then, after all, aside from my intervening service appointment as the possible 'x-factor.' In any case, I'm a happy camper now!
I anxiously await a steering epiphany! ;-)

LIY
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Was it pretty easy for your dealer to revert it back to the original steering wheel software version?

My dealer updated my A7's software and the dynamic mode has become what was the comfort mode. I never had problems with my steering and am definitely hoping they can revert it back.

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I got the Steering update and hated it. I really lightened up the steering. Fortunately, I have a great Service Advisor and he got my steering software reverted to the original.

The original software has a nice stiff feeling to it and really makes the driving enjoyable. I have never had any issues with it, never experienced the notchiness others have mentioned.

The new software is so light, that I could steer with 1 finger and for me anyway completely ruined the driving experience. I tried living with it for a week before my service dept switched me back to the original software.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note I was reading a review of the Infiniti Q something and as they talked about the oddness of the electronic steering they noted that the car had a recall for problems with steering in cold weather. Just found it interesting.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking how much I liked the steering on my 2014 A6 TDI and decided to search the forum on this topic. Two hours and 22 pages of posts later I've learned a lot of you have had the opposite experience. I had my doubts about electromechanical steering, having read reviews on Audi's and BMW's. But I really like the light feel at low speeds and the way it firms up at higher speeds. The car tracks beautifully on the highway: no notchiness, no wandering, very easy to keep the car pointed in the desired direction, even in crosswinds. I get a very centered feel requiring minimal steering corrections which translates into a more pleasant, less fatiguing drive. I usually use "auto" or sometimes "comfort," but haven't noticed a great deal of difference between the two. I haven't used dynamic much but will experiment more when I next get on a stretch of winding roads. My car was delivered 3/2014 and probably came with all the latest software updates so I have not experienced the before and after steering feel so often described in this thread. My previous car, a 2003 BMW 530i, was highly regarded in the steering, handling areas and I would say the A6 has far lighter steering in the parking lot and only slightly lighter on the highway and it is easier to keep centered than the Bimmer which would be easily buffeted by crosswinds. I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and hope nothing changes for the worse.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You are definitely in the minority.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You are definitely in the minority.
Yes, at least among the posters to this thread. Your comments indicate you are fairly pleased with the results of the steering software update. What I haven't figured out from reading this thread, aside from the gripes about changes to steering feel, is whether the notchiness, wandering, pulling, etc., correlate only to cars like yours with "driver assist?" I am assuming "driver assist" includes "active lane assist", with extra sensors and actuators to do the steering. I was regretting not ordering this $2800 option but not any more.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have active lane assist and others have reported it makes no difference either way. I'm still not entirely pleased with the electric steering. Although less than before the update, it still wanders more than it should. I never had the "notchiness" issue.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just want to clarify, when they say 'pulling/wondering' is this like an out of alignment feel?

Last edited by krazyhabu; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am wondering how the steering in our A6's relates to or compares to the steering in the S3. I have read several reviews of the S3 that mention great steering as one of the things they like about the car. Perhaps the S3 has a newer version that will eventually migrate to the A6?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New Steering fix

Took my 2013 S4 in for the steering issue after the firmware done. Tech said a new bulletin was issued to replace defective steering column. After one day of driving it appears my problem has been fixed. Steering feels noticeably better with no alignment or knotty issue or slippage. Done at audi exchange in highland park. I was skeptical but worked.

Quick Reply: Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available