Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Are we talking headlights or the DRLs during the day? I don't feel the DRLs in the daytime are distracting. If in the Auto switch position, the headlights will only come on during the day if the wipers are activated and at night (with the DRL output reduced). I leave my DRLs on full time and the headlights in the auto position. This also activates the all weather/turning lights when rounding a corner at slow speed if equipped. Nothing to touch, nothing to remember - I just drive.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And some people paint their taillamps black, effectively rendering taillamps in inclement weather useless, and brake lights similar.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steveracer
And some people paint their taillamps black, effectively rendering taillamps in inclement weather useless, and brake lights similar.
If done properly, light reduction is minimal. Our LEDs are still brighter than the antiquated halogens, even with them tinted and the halogens not.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by steveracer
I agree but there is no end to the lunacy of some people. At least the insurance companies like people who tint their tail-lights - they will refuse to pay collision damage and medical expenses if you are involved in a collision where your modified car is deemed to be a contributing factor in reduced visibility.

Conclusion is that ridiculous "blacked out tail lights" mod, that some people think looks cool, can end up costing you your house and every other asset that you now own.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Are we talking headlights or the DRLs during the day? I don't feel the DRLs in the daytime are distracting. If in the Auto switch position, the headlights will only come on during the day if the wipers are activated and at night (with the DRL output reduced). I leave my DRLs on full time and the headlights in the auto position. This also activates the all weather/turning lights when rounding a corner at slow speed if equipped. Nothing to touch, nothing to remember - I just drive.
Originally I was talking about DRLs in the daytime. But now I'm talking about headlights during the daytime. When I drive, I leave my lights **** on auto. Since I have the DRLs disengaged, only my headlights go on when it's dark. Plus my instrument cluster stays backlit.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_L
If done properly, light reduction is minimal. Our LEDs are still brighter than the antiquated halogens, even with them tinted and the halogens not.
You destroy the reflective capability of the lenses when the lights are off, thus degrading safety for others. Aside from being a DOT violation, its also stupid. But, that's MO.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
You destroy the reflective capability of the lenses when the lights are off, thus degrading safety for others. Aside from being a DOT violation, its also stupid. But, that's MO.
No you don't. The lights will still reflect. That why I said "when done properly". The proper way to do it is to mix a small amount of black in with a lot of clear. The tint is made with tiny droplets of black suspended in the clear. Since its not a uniform coat, the lenses can still reflect. This ain't the old days when people did it with Niteshadez. Its 2014. We've gotten better at doing **** like this. Some cars come with factory tinted tails.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike_L; 03-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Some cars come with factory tinted tails.
But any factory tint still maintains the statutory luminous output required by the DOT specifications, aftermarket tints rarely compensate for this and the reduced output is illegal, dangerous and a license for the insurance companies to deny your claim. Besides, it's an easily identifiable change that denotes that the driver lacks the common sense to not reduce his and other peoples safety.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A definite problem seen more often than ever

[QUOTE=DeerHunter;24553964]Speaking as a Canadian, I fully support our DRL law. I am, however, frustrated by the half-baked nature of the regulation. Only the front of the car is required to be illuminated, which is fine on the face of it. The problem occurs because some manufacturers don't think things through and they fully illuminate the dash lights at all times. Consequently, brain-dead idiots, seeing a splash of light in front of the car and the lit-up dash, assume their lights are on and merrily drive at night, in the rain, through a snow storm, with no tail lights.

For safety reasons DRL's and tail lights should be set by all automobile mfgs to illuminate simultaneously and be on at all times day and night. The number of cars I see at dusk and during the night driving with no tail lights seems to be on the increase. Some of these drivers are definitely in la la land. I almost ran one down at night on the Tappan Zee bridge so I got in back of her and kept flashing my lights to wake her up for her own good as well as others and she proceeds to come to a dead stop in the middle of the bridge. I guess she thought I was a police car so that did no good and I certainly won't attempt to do that again. She had her front DLR's on by the way. Unfortunately many people just don't realize that some makes of cars do not have tail lights that work along with the front DLR's and as said, have an illuminated dash that makes these people forget they did not put on their headlight/tailights.
This is getting to be a real safety hazard.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=auditron;24554612]
Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Speaking as a Canadian, I fully support our DRL law. I am, however, frustrated by the half-baked nature of the regulation. Only the front of the car is required to be illuminated, which is fine on the face of it. The problem occurs because some manufacturers don't think things through and they fully illuminate the dash lights at all times. Consequently, brain-dead idiots, seeing a splash of light in front of the car and the lit-up dash, assume their lights are on and merrily drive at night, in the rain, through a snow storm, with no tail lights.

For safety reasons DRL's and tail lights should be set by all automobile mfgs to illuminate simultaneously and be on at all times day and night. The number of cars I see at dusk and during the night driving with no tail lights seems to be on the increase. Some of these drivers are definitely in la la land. I almost ran one down at night on the Tappan Zee bridge so I got in back of her and kept flashing my lights to wake her up for her own good as well as others and she proceeds to come to a dead stop in the middle of the bridge. I guess she thought I was a police car so that did no good and I certainly won't attempt to do that again. She had her front DLR's on by the way. Unfortunately many people just don't realize that some makes of cars do not have tail lights that work along with the front DLR's and as said, have an illuminated dash that makes these people forget they did not put on their headlight/tailights.
This is getting to be a real safety hazard.
I have experienced the same issues and agree with you 100% but that would only address future vehicles. Still need to address the current situation were to many drivers are oblivious to how there car lights function. I do not have an answer that would be satisfactory to all current drivers. My solution would remove many drivers from the street but that would not get through any state or federal legislation at this time in our history.

Quick Reply: DRLs On or Off? That is the questions.