Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Driving to Vegas :) Couple of ??s

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving to Vegas :) Couple of ??s

Taking the A6 on its first road trip from Den to Vegas (I-70W>I-15S). Approx. 12 hour drive.

5,000 Maintenance Completed in March after a Dec 2013 delivery. At that same time also had the 20in Pirelli shoes put on. We're at about 7.5k miles now.

Do we need to do anything specific before taking the car out on a road trip?

Any concerns with driving on the 20s for ~750 miles each way?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fill the tank, plug in radar detector and put your foot down.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what your concern is, but from what you've said your trip should be no problem at all. I have 20-inch Michelin's on my A6, and recently drove back and forth from NV to Memphis at 700+miles/day with no problems. Every so often I look at the Oil Level (in the MMI) but it is always right near full. At 70-75mph I averaged 28mpg.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your car will be fine, just stay away from Roulette!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Fill the tank, plug in radar detector and put your foot down.
Great advice.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the cold tire pressures before you depart. As a guide, refer to the manual's recommendation for regular load or the door label for max load.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check tires and oil before the trip. Then bring a quart of oil and the jumper cable just in case, and you'll be fine.

If extra cautious, bring a first aid kit, flashlight, fire extinguisher, reflective vest, a few power bars and bottled water.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't see your concern. Radar/laser detector is a good idea. Heck, I drove coast to coast several times in my early 20s and it kind of grows on you. Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default We're back! Trip Report

Thanks for all the info and advice. We're back now. The car did amazing! We did have one hiccup that I'll chalk up to human error, details below.

We left Denver at 7:11am after gassing up at a local gas station... highway is less than a mile from the station. When we hopped on the freeway, we did not get off (needed gas, really bad) until Salina, UT... that’s 475 miles... 6.5 hours after first getting on the highway. Now the scary part was that between Green River, UT and Salina, UT there is a stretch of 106 miles where there are no services (i.e. Gas stations)... when we hit this point we were at 145 miles left to the gallon. Not the best decision, but my husband was confident we could make it so we kept going. There was a point where we got down to more miles left to the nearest gas station than what was registered as gas mileage remaining. Not cool. I was not happy with him at this point and was very nervous… Not a way to start a vaca. Lesson learned. We cruised along and the gas mileage was pretty steady and climbed back up a few times. So we made it. Filled up in Salina and made it all the way to Vegas.

About 200 miles outside of Vegas the temperature registered 116 degrees! It was blazing hot. You'd never know how hot it was inside the car. We hit the Vegas area around 5:45pm, so the drive took just under 11hours. We headed straight to a touch less car wash. Washed the car/bugs off and then headed to check in to Mandalay. Valet = full. Such BS. Anyhow we self-parked . The parking garage felt like it was 150 degrees. We check in, dropped or bags off, rested, showered, and then got up to head out to go visit family. We get to the car, start it and pull it out noticed the MIL light is on. Too late to call local Audi dealership at this point, so we drove it to my Mother in laws house. After looking at the the manual we decided to unscrewed the gas cap and placed it back on securely. Light stayed on that night. Next morning (Friday) we wake up, made an appointment with Audi to have it checked out. I will say I wasn't thrilled with the Customer Service at one particular Audi Service department. No shuttle available to take us back to the hotel, no loaners available, no guarantee that they could actually scan the car before Monday... well we were scheduled to head out Monday early AM. Anyhow, when we went to the car Saturday afternoon to take it to the dealership, the light was off. Yay!!! So no interruption in our vacation and we'd still have our own car to get around as we pleased.

We topped off gas Saturday evening while out and about so that we could hit the road first thing Monday AM. We made it all the way to Salina, UT again before stopping to top off. At that time 180 miles was what was registered as remaining gas. We stopped again in Glenwood Springs and topped off again so that we wouldn’t have to worry about gassing up for the rest of the week here in the city. There was terrible weather (rain, lightening) all through the mountains Vail, Aspen, etc. Pretty scary with the splash back of other cars, but we made it. Coming back took us about 12.5 hours... longer than it took going.

That’s all I got, thanks again everyone for easing my mind heading into our first road trip with the A6. It did great.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice recap... The A6 is such a pleasure to drive on long troops. What kind of gas mileage did you get... Car report versus actual?

Quick Reply: Driving to Vegas :) Couple of ??s