Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Panel

Last week someone hit my passenger folding mirror and now it seems off track or off spring. Before I invest in a new one I wanted to investigate it to see if I could fix it. I tried to remove the mirror but there is a plastic housing I cannot remove with removing the entire mirror. Does anyone know how to remove the mirror? I think I have to remove the entire door panel but I dont know how. I tried but it never feels loose enough to remove. Any help would be appreciated - THX!!
Old 05-12-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

IknowHuhA6 has a thread with panels and mirror details.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rofit-2883746/
Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I will update Post 104 of top view retrofit to point to this location for more detailed information. Noticed I hadn't given enough detail on removing door trim.

A plastic trim wedge removal kit is essential so you don't risk gouging pain with screwdrivers. Plastic connectors shown in red ovals. I definitely recommend buying some plastic door clips to have ready in the event some of these break so you can have them ready. All I can do is give you better chance for success but please note I do not assume any responsibility for you damaging your door panel and related pieces.

Also important to note, the two piece clip will require special tool or skills to remove the piece that stays attached to the door by pressing inward on sides under the clip, to disengage and remove that piece. Then you can reattach that to the other part left on door trim, and the door panel (two piece clip) presses on like the other clips. This of cousrse after you try to slide the top portion back into place before pressing the edges of the door panel back into place.

FIRST, remove wood trim to gain access to two screws. Note the yellow hook so you need to start prying piece off from opposite side of that to angle piece out and disengage that plastic hook. If you start from side closest to that yellow area you will force and break that clip and possibly the trim piece.

I can't remember exact location of the bolts under the trim panel but circled general area in green. Once trim is removed you'll see them easily. Start from

Second, look underneath and push up with your finger on the lower yellow marked area. You will see a square indentation marking the spot to push up on. This will unlock a two-piece clip and you will hear the click.

Now you can proceed to separate clips from door with plastic trim tool. These will take some force so try to get as close to the clip as possible and force these to separate. Sometimes they break and sometimes they remain reusable.

Once done with above, note upper yellow circle. This piece sits in a channel so the door panel needs to push up to disengage this piece from where it sits in.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Door Panel-imag0971.jpg   Door Panel-imag0972.jpg   Door Panel-105mc-3.jpg   Door Panel-imag0970.jpg  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 05-15-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks I was looking for this... here are where the screws are:
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
thanks I was looking for this... here are where the screws are:
Thanks for that. i was going off memory and forgot the third location of the screw, so I'll update my photo posted. Middle location is below the speaker grille that needs to be removed to access. I added photo of that in my previous post if it helps.

Much appreciated. = )

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 05-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Thanks for that. i was going off memory and forgot the third location of the screw, so I'll update my photo posted.

Much appreciated. = )
no no, thank you i was looking just for what you posted today.

One question:

"Also important to note, the two piece clip will require special tool or skills to remove the piece that stays attached to the door by pressing inward on sides under the clip, to disengage and remove that piece. Then you can reattach that to the other part left on door trim, and the door panel (two piece clip) presses on like the other clips. This of cousrse after you try to slide the top portion back into place before pressing the edges of the door panel back into place."

The two piece clip, where is this located? Bottom Yellow? and when you say pressing inward on sides under the clip, is this when it is mounted and you can pull the skin off a bit to do this or?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no no, thank you i was looking just for what you posted today.

One question:

"Also important to note, the two piece clip will require special tool or skills to remove the piece that stays attached to the door by pressing inward on sides under the clip, to disengage and remove that piece. Then you can reattach that to the other part left on door trim, and the door panel (two piece clip) presses on like the other clips. This of course after you try to slide the top portion back into place before pressing the edges of the door panel back into place."

The two piece clip, where is this located? Bottom Yellow? and when you say pressing inward on sides under the clip, is this when it is mounted and you can pull the skin off a bit to do this or?
I didn't take close-up of this piece so hope this helps. The clip is barely visible in this photo. You can see in yellow arrow pointing to rubber seal that you need to get underneath, to push simultaneously in direction of red arrows. Something very thin and strong enough to push in will disengage and allow this clip to be removed. I struggled but successful when I used two very thin short screwdrivers for each side, and for second side I used wire cutters but this damaged that clip. Which is why I say it's good to have extra clips purchased just in case. You need a thin but strong enough blade to push in underneath the clip.

Once clip is removed, if still in good condition reattach to door panel, or discard if too damaged and use new clip.
Attached Thumbnails Door Panel-105mc-1a.jpg  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 05-15-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the material on the door vinyl or leather? Wondering what I should use to clean it.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
I didn't take close-up of this piece so hope this helps. The clip is barely visible in this photo. You can see in yellow arrow pointing to rubber seal that you need to get underneath, to push simultaneously in direction of red arrows. Something very thin and strong enough to push in will disengage and allow this clip to be removed. I struggled but successful when I used two very thin short screwdrivers for each side, and for second side I used wire cutters but this damaged that clip. Which is why I say it's good to have extra clips purchased just in case. You need a thin but strong enough blade to push in underneath the clip.

Once clip is removed, if still in good condition reattach to door panel, or discard if too damaged and use new clip.
thanks! I will update the thread once i remove the skin!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greencat
Is the material on the door vinyl or leather? Wondering what I should use to clean it.
That's a great question but I can't help with. I myself am looking for a good recommendation for cleaning the door and seats. For now I'm using a general spray from auto parts store and a leather cleaner for seats hoping it doesn't damage over time.

thanks! I will update the thread once i remove the skin!
Yes please do if you could, and if you could post picture of back of clip and two pieces next to each other that would be really helpful to others, since I forgot to do that.

You will have to disconnect three or four cable connectors and the door handle lock release cable to fully disengage.

Be very observant of how door handle cable is routed and connected as you could end up with slack on reinstallation causing lever to pull kind of weird when put back together.