Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Does Audi consider the A7 more sporty than the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My wife may not be coiffed or Armani clad but she does drive our A6. Sometimes, when I let her.
(Actually, for some reason that she can't really explain to me, she prefers driving her low mileage '02 allroad).
Sounds like a sensible gal if you ask me
Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in canada atleast i think A7s are not selling as well. Every dealer i visited was pushing A7s with heavy discounts.

For me personally i find the A7 not so attractive, it is the same engine and very similar interior as the A6 but weight 200lbs more and costs about 15ish k more.

Sportsbacks have their market i suppose, but not my thing. I rather get an avant over the A7 for space.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

In snowy areas the thought of a heavy hatch with 8" of snow on it might deter me. I find the smaller trunk lid of my A6 easier to deal with and less likely to allow snow to fall into the cargo area and let icy air blasts into the passenger compartment.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the A7 is a decent looking car, but so is the A6.

It is interesting how a number of auto manufacturers have embraced the four door coupe, which in itself is an interesting phenomenon. BMW and Mercedes have approached it as a slinky, sexy version of a normal four door sedan. But to create this styling, tradeoffs in functionality are made, for example, constrained rear seat headroom. The BMW 6-series is kind of a strange car. It's big and heavy, but doesn't have the passenger or cargo room normally associated with such a big and heavy car. I considered a 6-series during my car shopping, and was left wondering why anyone would want such a big and heavy car without the main benefits of a big and heavy car. It's a little too much form over function for my tastes.

Other auto manufacturers have decided to incorporate a hatchback into their four door coupe design, which makes sense since the sloped rear design of a four door coupe often results in a very narrow trunk opening if you don't add a hatchback.

Porsche decided not to compromise the rear seat headroom, but this resulted in a design that is frequently derided for the humpback shape in the rear. The Panamera has other issues. It's a very big and heavy car relative to the amount of actual space in the passenger and cargo area. It weighs about 4,500 lbs, about the same as a Cayenne, but you can't fit two suitcases in the cargo area.

Tesla and Audi decided to compromise rear seat headroom, and their shapes are more attractive.

Because of the battery, the Tesla Model S has a very low center of gravity and feels very planted. But the A7 has that additional weight in the roof, and despite trying to lower the A7, it still feels heavy up there like a station wagon (though not nearly as bad). I don't want to exaggerate this. I think the A7 is a very good riding car. It's just slightly disadvantaged compared to the sedan, so it strikes me as odd that the disadvantaged design is being treated as more sexy and sported by Audi, but I guess it makes sense since the sexy design implied the sloped roof, which implied the hatch back, which implied the heavier weight in the roof.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the classic 69 & 70 mustang fastback design so much that I owned (4) Mach I's growing up. So I wrestled between the fastback/sportsroof look of A7 and the sleeper sedan look of car I previously drove.
I really like the A7 front end more than A6, but didn't care for the rear of the A7 with wing down. I prefer constant wing or upward sweep on the back of the car.

My personal preference has always been the "sleeper look", and I'm used to driving 4-door sedans for the convenience of passengers and other luggage in rear seats. Plus cops usually chase after faster sportier cars than faster sedans in my many shameless experiences.

The motorized A7 Hatch seems to be a big selling point for anybody that does major shopping. But I passed on it because larger rear glass area meant heavier car, and increased weak point for vandalism. The rear slope of A7 seemed to make car too large and less styled for my preference.

The CEO at my job has an A7, and after parking next to him I was reasured the A6 was the right decision for me. The A7 is awesome, but lacks the top view feature and ultimately felt more of a larger boat than the A6. Even though my car didn't come with top view feature, I'm hoping to add-on very soon as part of custom project. These are just my opinions so nobody panic! Just stating my preference for what it's worth.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porksoda
Here in canada atleast i think A7s are not selling as well. Every dealer i visited was pushing A7s with heavy discounts.

For me personally i find the A7 not so attractive, it is the same engine and very similar interior as the A6 but weight 200lbs more and costs about 15ish k more.

Sportsbacks have their market i suppose, but not my thing. I rather get an avant over the A7 for space.
Hmm...don't know why but this car continues to get accolades every time some auto journalist kind gets their hands on one!

Even perfect strangers, mostly of the male species give us A/S7 drivers the thumbs up wherever, whenever.

Go figure, but please don't hate it anymore....heheh.
Here's another - check this one out:

The 2016 Audi A7 is a beautiful beast of a car - Houston Chronicle