Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Do you replace the transmission fluid filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do this yet? We have a 12 2.0 A6 with 36k miles that have had since day one and want to keep for a long time so I want to get this done. I am thinking of taking to dealer for this service, any idea on costs? Also some Audi dealer tell me the fluid is lifetime and they wont touch it and others say it it is serviceable??

Car has no warranty and no issues since new.... dont want to create issues by doing this service if its pointless.....

Just recently I paid $500 to have the transmission fluid of my C63 changed....after the change only thing I noticed was my wallet being lighter. I have a 06 330i with 153k miles that shifts smooth as butter that I want to do the transmission fluid change on as well. I am just worried doing these services might cause issues to come up and end up being a PITA.

Last edited by 335i; 12-16-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. My thanks to those who posted excellent thoughts and suggested actions. I'm a new Audi owner and had not yet realized there is no service recommended for the automatic transmission.

My instinct is to change the fluid and filters at around 50k - 60k miles. I don't believe atf is good for a lifetime because it's being constantly degraded by heat and introduction of tiny particles from wear of clutches and mechanical parts. I don't like the idea of waiting until 120k miles because that could remove deposits or stir up accumulated particles as some mentioned.

First I'll have to talk with Audi dealers and my local private German car mechanic who is knowledgeable and fastidious to see if anyone knows how to change the fluid and filters and seems competent.

Bullying a dealership tech who has never done the job into servicing the transmission would probably not be a good idea. I've read here in this forum that my Q5 has an Aisin transmission. Aisins are great transmissions but they use different fluids than other brands. I don't want to demand my transmission is serviced and have a tech use whatever they have in stock.

This is a valuable thread. It made me aware of something I need to learn about.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my 2004 X3 also said its a "lifetime" fluid but got it changed at 100k. no issue at all and it was shifting smooth. (sold the car at 120k miles)

I think 100k is a good time to change the so called "lifetime" fluid. I am probably going to just do a drain and fill, not too concern about the filter.

I might do the drain and fill 2x to get more fluid exchanged (without removing the pan etc.) Just too much trouble, and the dealership want like $1000 for the job with filters LOL (I can do a few drain and fill with that kind of $$)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think changing the filter and putting in new fluid is a good idea. I would not do a flush as this is what could cause a particle to clog up an orifice.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll do my 3rd change next month.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad this thread was brought back up. I bit the bullet and changed the fluid & filter in my 8spd about 2 months ago. Really wasn't a bad process to do myself and I posted a thread about it here some where.

I will say that the fluid and filter I took out really didn't look bad, but I can't say when/if the fluid was or wasn't changed by the previous owner.

Car is still running great and shifting great at 165k now.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Calimus
Glad this thread was brought back up. I bit the bullet and changed the fluid & filter in my 8spd about 2 months ago. Really wasn't a bad process to do myself and I posted a thread about it here some where.

I will say that the fluid and filter I took out really didn't look bad, but I can't say when/if the fluid was or wasn't changed by the previous owner.

Car is still running great and shifting great at 165k now.
How many miles were on it when you did the service? Mine is currently at 114k and figured it would be a good idea. Did you reset adaptions? Which filter and fluid did you end up going with?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2014 A6 TDI changed the transmission fluid in the ZF at 65,000 along with the filter and the differentials as well. On my 2002 A4 1.8T CVT I have changed the fluid at least every 50,000 miles, the car now has 300,000 on it and no issues with the trans. If you don't change the CVT you will feel it start to shudder under acceleration, generally new fluid makes that go away. No way would the CVT have lasted for 300,000 without the fluid changes. ZF actually suggests changing the 8 speed every 65 to 85 thousand miles, more often if you track the car. There was a post on one of the forums where the owner had contacted ZF and gotten that information. No way is it a lifetime fluid. Only do a drain and fill with the filter change, never do a flush. My dealer argued with me about changing it but did after I insisted and showed him the documentation from ZF. On my 1976 Dodge Van with Chrysler I changed it every 30 to 50K along with the filter and that transmission is still good at 368,000 miles as well. On my Honda I change it every 30,000 ( no filter and no pan to drop on that one just drain and fill, takes 3 times to get it mostly changed). That trans is still good at 209,000 miles as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi davidglt66,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definitely changing the fluid and filter this time around, probably move to the 3x3 after this filter change. My main concern is will this require an adaption reset. If so, I'll need to take it in for this service seeing as I don't have VCDS.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No adaptation needed for the fluid and filter change on the 8spd ZF, Drop fluid, replace filter, replace fluid, warm trans up, go through the procedure (Putting trans in neutral to pump the fluid) and top off fluid and done.

Found the DIY I posted, here you go - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...speed-2919359/

Quick Reply: Do you replace the transmission fluid filter?