Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DIY Oil Change Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change Help

So the only Audi dealer within 3 hours of my home just lost their certification from Audi and can no longer sell or maintain the brand...

That said, I'd like to do my own oil changes and have on all my other vehicles for years. The question I've got is how to do this on a 2012 A6. I've heard about people using vacuum pumps, which sounds good. Any model names for these pumps so I can buy one, or things I should look out for? I know I've got to get the right spec oil. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I plan on DIY oil changes and found out that the MityVac 7201 extractor is the tool to get. It holds all the oil and you don't need to pour the oil out. Flip the valve and pump the oil into your recycle jugs.

Here's a BIN on eBay for $85 - shop around and you might find it for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MityVac-8-8-...2cb6e0&vxp=mtr

You also need an oil filter wrench. I see several on eBay but they have different amount of points (14/15/16). I'll wait until I get my car or check one out at the dealer before I purchase one.

As for oil, there are several threads on the site that list the oils that comply. Do a search.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As Tenspeed said, the MityVac 7201 is best. I bought one and and just did my own oil chanage at 10K. Just make sure the oil is warm to keep it easily flowable. Stick one end of the siphon tube down the oil dipstick tube (search other threads for picts and location, easy to spot once you know where to look), pump the 7201 a few times and away you go. No mess ! I also bought the 36 mm oil filter housing socket to help unscrew the oil filter housing cap (not necessary, but a nice fit instead of a using regular socket). Suck out the oil first then open the oil filter housing to remove the filter cartridge. No gushing oil from the filter housing as some warnings mention (maybe on A4's). When I did it the filter and housing cap were attached and came out as one piece when unscrewed. Also, the filter cartridge requires a good "tug" to unseat from the housing, so don't be shy. Push on the new filter cartridge, install the new o-ring on the housing cap(one came with my Mann filter came with 2 o-rings, use the thicker one that matches the original) and you're good to go. I also bought an oil dipstick to make sure I have the correct oil level before starting back up (in addition to that in the MMI readout). I used Mobil 1 0-40W as per the oil selection chart (again, searchable). Good luck. It was by far the easiest oil change I ever did - could have done it in my best clothes in about 15-20 minutes. I'll be dong every other oil change since Audicare takes care of the next one. I'm just not comfortable going 15k between oil changes as AudiCare does.
The following users liked this post:
Agostino Visale (04-23-2020)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
I'll be dong every other oil change since Audicare takes care of the next one. I'm just not comfortable going 15k between oil changes as AudiCare does.
Isn't the interval 10K miles?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Isn't the interval 10K miles?
You're right. I was thinking since my 1st complimentary one was a 5k, then the AudiCare's at 15, 25, 35, etc. Too early this AM. I'm not comfortable with 10K intervals (another mistake I mentioned in the post), so I'll be doing my own at 5K in between the AudiCare ones. Gosh, I need more sleep after the weekend! Glad to see someone's awake. Sorry for the mixup.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As Tenspeed said, the MityVac 7201 is best. I bought one and and just did my own oil chanage at 10K. Just make sure the oil is warm to keep it easily flowable. Stick one end of the siphon tube down the oil dipstick tube (search other threads for picts and location, easy to spot once you know where to look), pump the 7201 a few times and away you go. No mess ! I also bought the 36 mm oil filter housing socket to help unscrew the oil filter housing cap (not necessary, but a nice fit instead of a using regular socket). Suck out the oil first then open the oil filter housing to remove the filter cartridge. No gushing oil from the filter housing as some warnings mention (maybe on A4's). When I did it the filter and housing cap were attached and came out as one piece when unscrewed. Also, the filter cartridge requires a good "tug" to unseat from the housing, so don't be shy. Push on the new filter cartridge, install the new o-ring on the housing cap(one came with my Mann filter came with 2 o-rings, use the thicker one that matches the original) and you're good to go. I also bought an oil dipstick to make sure I have the correct oil level before starting back up (in addition to that in the MMI readout). I used Mobil 1 0-40W as per the oil selection chart (again, searchable). Good luck. It was by far the easiest oil change I ever did - could have done it in my best clothes in about 15-20 minutes. I'll be dong every other oil change since Audicare takes care of the next one. I'm just not comfortable going 15k between oil changes as AudiCare does.
wow, impressive...i need to do the same....is the oil filter on the top?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. The oil filter and housing are on the top near the back of the drivers side engine. There's a picture in a previous thread somewhere.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SSA6 and others - Thanks for the responses! I'm going to buy the mityvac and give it a shot. I'm still torqued (no pun) that my dealer is no longer certified by Audi. I'll save some $$ anyway without paying $250 for an oil change. I'm also trying to get refunded on the Audi Care package I bought with the car since driving three hours to a dealer for service is not very convenient. Enough of the rant, sorry
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arrived1
So the only Audi dealer within 3 hours of my home just lost their certification from Audi and can no longer sell or maintain the brand...

That said, I'd like to do my own oil changes and have on all my other vehicles for years. The question I've got is how to do this on a 2012 A6. I've heard about people using vacuum pumps, which sounds good. Any model names for these pumps so I can buy one, or things I should look out for? I know I've got to get the right spec oil. Any help would be appreciated.
I just changed my oil the old fashioned way. Took out the little panel under the front end and the drain plug is right there.