Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

The CVT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The CVT Thread

Wanted to start a thread for discussing anything about the CVT, so we don't feel like the red headed step child of the A6 family lol!

The price point that Audi chose in the low $40ks is amazing for a large German luxury sedan. $2,200 cheaper than the 2.0T quattro with 8-speed, and a whopping $8,200 cheaper than the 3.0T.

It gets great mileage, especially in city driving:
2.0T CVT: 25/33
2.0T quattro: 20/30
3.0T: 18/27
S6: 17/27

I will update my personal mileage after I've driven some more. City is in the mid-20s but highway I can only get about 30. It seems my A/C is sucking down 1/8 gal/h here in Florida.

The multi-plate clutch does take some getting used to. I found that if you treat it like a manual clutch it works well. That is, don't mess around while the clutch is engaging. Definitely don't lift off the gas abruptly while it is engaging. If it were a manual, you would probably stall. In the CVT it's a recipe for jerkiness. Make a smooth but light push on the gas pedal at first until it engages so you don't burn it out, and then once underway you can add more power. But then there's the turbo boost you need to watch out for lol! Also like a manual, think ahead and don't try to creep forward bit by bit such as in traffic. Each start probably wears out the clutch a tiny bit.

With this technique, I found the CVT to be great for cruising and relaxed driving. Smoothly onto the gas to start and just keep the pressure steady until you're up to speed, which seems to happen before you know it because there's no drama or gear changes. Just smooth, effortless acceleration. Smooth during braking too, because I found that most modern automatics now have engine braking while in Drive and more torque-converter lock up for better fuel economy, but it's now harder to be smooth with the downshifts.

So anyone is welcome to discuss anything and everything, good or bad, about the CVT in this thread!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck. Living in the Northeast with snowy winters, $2,200 for Quattro seems like a real steal; couldn't do without it. The 2.0 Quattro is a lot quicker than the CVT 0-60 to boot. Still, I get the economy thing and in sunny FLA who needs a snow crawler?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to drive a CVT. I'm just enough of a traditionalist that I really wanted the 8 speed gearbox, but open minded enough to want to give the CVT a try (maybe as a loaner when my car is in for service).

I believe my mind takes audible cues from the tranny that just would not be there on a CVT (I kind of intuitively know how fast I'm going for example).

I would have thought your mileage would have been better... on a recent long drive, I was getting 29mpg as calculated by the DIS, and about 28 by my calculations (Miles/Gals). Most of that drive was between 75/80 mph. 33 is not as dramatic of a difference as I would have expected, but I'm sure conditions are a significant variable (speed, altitude, wind, etc).

I think it would be interesting to see a comparison of mileage for the 2.0 CVT, 2.0 8 speed, and the 3.0 8 speed). at various average speeds. Perhaps not the purpose of your thread, but I do think it would be educational - might show which drivetrain is best fit for various types of general driving conditions - for example back in 2009 (when I first looked at a hybrid) I did not understand that hybrids are actually BEST fit with a high percentage of in-town driving - the mileage differential compresses at highway speeds, and in some cars even crosses (traditional car will get better mileage at speed).
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the current A6 CVT the same transmission as in my 2008 A4 CVT?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
I would have thought your mileage would have been better... on a recent long drive, I was getting 29mpg as calculated by the DIS, and about 28 by my calculations (Miles/Gals). Most of that drive was between 75/80 mph. 33 is not as dramatic of a difference as I would have expected, but I'm sure conditions are a significant variable (speed, altitude, wind, etc).

I think it would be interesting to see a comparison of mileage for the 2.0 CVT, 2.0 8 speed, and the 3.0 8 speed). at various average speeds. Perhaps not the purpose of your thread, but I do think it would be educational - might show which drivetrain is best fit for various types of general driving conditions - for example back in 2009 (when I first looked at a hybrid) I did not understand that hybrids are actually BEST fit with a high percentage of in-town driving - the mileage differential compresses at highway speeds, and in some cars even crosses (traditional car will get better mileage at speed).
Discussing mileage would be great. I only have about 700 miles on my CVT, but I did go on a long drive over the weekend. With cruise set at 75 mph, flat and straight highway at sea level, fairly windy but I did drive both directions in the same day, A/C on for most of the year in Florida (temps still in the 80Fs now), but I still could not get much over 30 mpg on the display. I think it is about 1 mpg higher than calculated at fill up, but I've only done 1 tank and the display was reset at a different time. If I slow down to around 65 mph or even lower, I can get better, but that goes for every car including the 8 speeds.

The CVT did do very well in city driving however. I haven't done more controlled tests yet, but trying to account for all factors, I'd say mid-20s is still about right. I can even get it to about 32 mpg with some hypermiling techniques like coasting up to and timing traffic lights.

I've pretty much gotten the start off technique down smooth, so now it's just a very dull roar at the start, then quiet with the engine at 1600 rpm for a few seconds while I get up to speed (45 mph), with no gear changes to be felt. I feel like my car is perfect for limo duty. So smooth and it's black as well!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
The multi-plate clutch does take some getting used to. I found that if you treat it like a manual clutch it works well. That is, don't mess around while the clutch is engaging. Definitely don't lift off the gas abruptly while it is engaging.
I'd assumed the CVT had a torque converter - the dealer confirmed this was the case on my previous 2009 model CVT.

My 12 model does seem to pick up MUCH better than the previous model from standing start though and this model doesn't tend to creep the same. I'd just assumed that's what 7 extra PS' got me!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Diogenes
This I'm not sure about. They may have made small improvements. Or maybe not...
Originally Posted by fysmd
I'd assumed the CVT had a torque converter - the dealer confirmed this was the case on my previous 2009 model CVT.

My 12 model does seem to pick up MUCH better than the previous model from standing start though and this model doesn't tend to creep the same. I'd just assumed that's what 7 extra PS' got me!
The Audi CVT has always used a multiplate clutch, not a torque converter. That's why I never trust the dealer for technical information. In my opinion, they will say just about anything to make you happy or make a sale.

I'm going to be gentle on my CVT, especially from a standing start, just like I would for a manual transmission and clutch. Most of the problems with the CVT seem to be from clutch failure or contamination of the transmission fluid (probably from being too hard on the clutch).

For the 2.0 L 4 cyl turbo engine that is ubiquitous in many Audi and VW cars, Audi versions starting in 2009 added variable valve lift, which gave a big bump in torque from 207 to 258 lb-ft and a small bump in power from 200 to 211 hp.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got my CVT yesterday so I can only share some first impressions. I'm no gearhead but I'd echo newmoon's comments - there's almost zero creep on this car when you let off the brake and that will take some getting used to. That said, once you're underway going from 35 to say 60 is a lot of fun.

I traded in my 2001 A4 2.8 quattro for the new A6 so I'll share my observations after I finally get to drive the thing for a while. Unfortunately work is getting in the way of my play time this week.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Diogenes
No, the C7 A6 has a completely new CVT
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My CVT was replaced at 5K service

The original thread is at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826889

Basically if I held the steering wheel off center (left or right) and drove slowly off of a complete stop, I heard a noise coming from the drivetrain, almost like a whine or a grinding sound..

Dealer thought the following to be the culprits and remedied in the following order:
  1. Tires - Rotated - No effect
  2. Brakes - Replaced Rotors and pads - No effect
  3. Axles - Replaced axles - No effect
  4. Suspension - Lubricated where possible - No effect
  5. CVT - Replaced - Noise gone
It turned out to be the final drive assembly part of the CVT. The invoice to Audi was well in excess of $8K - obviously picked up by Audi in full....

So test your cars as well and if need be, take them in!

Quick Reply: The CVT Thread