Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

CPO car with summer tires in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO car with summer tires in Maryland

I bought my Audi A6 in the summer and didn't pay that much attention to the tires (my bad). I liked CPO because I shouldn't have to put much money into the car at least for a while.

However, no where did they state that I should plan on switching out my summer tires before winter. I have Pirelli P Zero's. So I'm a bit ticked off.

I'm going to let my dealer know. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Does it snow in MD during a typical winter?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that I something you can blame the dealer, unless you specifically asked if it had all season tires.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular P Zeros? If so you have a problem.

"P Zero tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from 100 years of Pirelli motorsport experience and developed for the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and high performance luxury sedans. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, the P Zero lineup also includes select replacement tire sizes. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I know it gets below 45 deg. in Maryland. Doubt the dealer is going to do much about it.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Does it snow in MD during a typical winter?
Yes it snows. Our Average is around 20 inches. It isn't unusual to get a foot of snow and get below zero.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, regular P Zeros. We can get below 0 degrees. I too doubt the dealer will do anything so I may just be venting....

Still should have told me.

Originally Posted by shadowcar
Regular P Zeros? If so you have a problem.

"P Zero tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from 100 years of Pirelli motorsport experience and developed for the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and high performance luxury sedans. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, the P Zero lineup also includes select replacement tire sizes. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I know it gets below 45 deg. in Maryland. Doubt the dealer is going to do much about it.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

MD, your best bet would be to check for a pkg (wheels + tires) someone is selling in the Classifieds section. There's quite a bit there and likely something will pop up that you can use.

I know it snows there and you guys have had some serious issues in the past couple years. I also believe you can have winter seasons where there's nothing or it melts within 12 hrs.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm sure it is in the fine print/ disclaimer somewhere when you bought the car. However I do feel they should give you a heads up as well when you buy a car with summer tires.
Although I'm sure they said nothing to this LaFerrari buyer too...because well you should just know....
Brand new summer tires + 50ishº weather + 950HP RWD + probably inexperience driver = bad things.

Last edited by gk1; 11-13-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

For all that's holy, certainly don't skimp on tires! They are the only intended contact your car has with the outside world! Look for some Michelin XIce xi3 for the best combination of snow/ice/cold and dry handling replacements for your above-45 degree summer tires. When the summers wear out, consider Conti DWS06 or for more performance, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 so you can use them more of the year, until the actual snow starts, after it just gets cold.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-13-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sportstick
For all that's holy, certainly don't skimp on tires! They are the only intended contact your car has with the outside world! Look for some Michelin XIce xi3 for the best combination of snow/ice/cold and dry handling replacements for your above-45 degree summer tires. When the summers wear out, consider Conti DWS06 or for more performance, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 so you can use them more of the year, until the actual snow starts, after it just gets cold.
+1 for Michelin AS3, a very nice comfortable, quiet all-season tire.

Quick Reply: CPO car with summer tires in Maryland