Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Could this be a steering Issue Vag-Com solution???

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Could this be a steering Issue Vag-Com solution???

There is an 2013 A4 thread over at another forum whereby a few owners have reported a simple Vag-Com mod that has supposedly solved the electric steering slipping/wandering off centerline at speed. By unchecking a box in one of the Vag-Com modules, they claim it has eliminated this issue completely although it will not correct the "notchiness" issue others have reported.

Apparently, this check box option is possibly somehow related to the DSR/ESP electronics which control the car if traction is lost. I would be cautious about making this change although, so far at least, the reports appear to be very positive and provide a temporary fix until Audi comes up with something permanent.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...es-VAG-COM-Fix

I'm generally not too adventurous with this type of thing so if anyone is willing to try it, please report back here on your findings. If you have a Vag-Com, it is an easy change.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There is an 2013 A4 thread over at another forum whereby a few owners have reported a simple Vag-Com mod that has supposedly solved the electric steering slipping/wandering off centerline at speed. By unchecking a box in one of the Vag-Com modules, they claim it has eliminated this issue completely although it will not correct the "notchiness" issue others have reported.

Apparently, this check box option is possibly somehow related to the DSR/ESP electronics which control the car if traction is lost. I would be cautious about making this change although, so far at least, the reports appear to be very positive and provide a temporary fix until Audi comes up with something permanent.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...es-VAG-COM-Fix

I'm generally not too adventurous with this type of thing so if anyone is willing to try it, please report back here on your findings. If you have a Vag-Com, it is an easy change.
Took a crack at the suggested fix this morning on my A7 Prestige with ACC. Sorry to report that it immediately disabled ESP, TPMS, ACC, and produced copious amounts of DIS warnings / DTCs.

Re - checked the box and cleared the codes. Back to previous state. May apply to A4's. But apparently not the fix I think we we hoping for.

Last edited by BasicSlvr; 04-05-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Took a crack at the suggested fix this morning on my A7 Prestige with ACC. Sorry to report that it immediately disabled ESP, TPMS, ACC, and produced copious amounts of DIS warnings / DTCs.

Re - checked the box and cleared the codes. Back to previous state. May apply to A4's. But apparently not the fix I think we we hoping for.
Well, that's damn disappointing. I was hoping this would work as it has for at least four 2013 S4 owners so far. Strange that the systems are so different for the B8.5 and C7 in this case. I assume all you did was uncheck that "Driver Steering Recommendation" box in module 44, correct?

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-05-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, that's damn disappointing. I was hoping this would work as it has for at least four 2013 S4 owners so far. Strange that the systems are so different for the B8.5 and C7 in this case. I assume all you did was uncheck that "Driver Steering Recommendation" box in module 44, correct?
Yup, that's all I did. Warnings lit up like a Christmas tree at Macy's. There was no way I was going to drive to work with the car in that condition. Had to reset and clear the DTCs. But, I figured I'd give it a shot. Quite honestly, the "wheel turn" (all the way to left then right) reset has worked fine for me. The steering feels more dialed in now than it has over the past 12 months of ownership just by doing an occaisional wheel turn reset.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Yup, that's all I did. Warnings lit up like a Christmas tree at Macy's. There was no way I was going to drive to work with the car in that condition. Had to reset and clear the DTCs. But, I figured I'd give it a shot. Quite honestly, the "wheel turn" (all the way to left then right) reset has worked fine for me. The steering feels more dialed in now than it has over the past 12 months of ownership just by doing an occaisional wheel turn reset.
Slvr, some questions: do you do the wheel "reset" when the car is cold before you drive off or at other times - any idea if one time is better than another for "longevity of effectiveness"? How often do you do this - after the car starts exhibiting the "steering wander" issue or periodically when you think of it as a preemptive measure? (Kind of like priming a pump).
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will throw in my $.02 while Slvr is away as I have some trial and error with this.

do you do the wheel "reset" when the car is cold before you drive off or at other times
I do it both times. I typically reset once I start just to do it and not have to think about it. There are times I don't do it (forget) and if I am driving and feel the problem, at the next stop sign/light, I will do a quick reset. It does solve the problem during mid commute. Now I have noticed the problem pop up more on the cold days than warm. For me though I am just starting to get warm days so most of my tests are on cooler or cold days.

any idea if one time is better than another for "longevity of effectiveness"?
I personaly have not seen a difference. Once I "reset" rather it is at the initial start or mid drive, the reset lasts for that drive. Sometimes when I restart after an arrand, it is still "corrected" Sometimes it is back. I just know that the "reset" has never stopped for me during my commute I perfomed it on. Even if the SS engages.

How often do you do this - after the car starts exhibiting the "steering wander" issue or periodically when you think of it as a preemptive measure? (Kind of like priming a pump)
I usually restart to be safe every morning on my way to the office. I have to turn hard left to get out of my garage anyways, so I just do a quick hard right turn to "reset". When I leave the office I usually do a quick one as well. Otherwise I just do it on the fly when the problem kicks in.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Slvr, some questions: do you do the wheel "reset" when the car is cold before you drive off or at other times - any idea if one time is better than another for "longevity of effectiveness"? How often do you do this - after the car starts exhibiting the "steering wander" issue or periodically when you think of it as a preemptive measure? (Kind of like priming a pump).
Thanks.
It's more of a proactive / preventative approach for me. Do it when I get "inspired"cold or hot.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, guys. Too bad the reported B8.5 DSR "fix" was a dud for the C7.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I got a 2012 A4 2.0 Quattro. Discovered a problem with the steering wheel 3 days ago, while standing or driving straight the steering wheel seems to be stuck in the straight position, and it is very hard to turn either left or right. Tried to switch between the comfort or dynamic options and did not help, tried to turn off ASR and drive without it, seemes to solve the problem. Did the lock to lock position. Oh, the problem started with the weather getting colder after a whole week of plus 10 celsius.
hope I helped.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dimkasapog
Hi, I got a 2012 A4 2.0 Quattro. Discovered a problem with the steering wheel 3 days ago, while standing or driving straight the steering wheel seems to be stuck in the straight position, and it is very hard to turn either left or right. Tried to switch between the comfort or dynamic options and did not help, tried to turn off ASR and drive without it, seemes to solve the problem. Did the lock to lock position. Oh, the problem started with the weather getting colder after a whole week of plus 10 celsius.
hope I helped.
Thanks for reviving my 2 year old thread but it sounds like the issue you describe is something different from the OP which had to do with the wandering/pulling of the electric steering at highway speeds.
You should have it checked by the dealer as I've not seen your specific problem described.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could this be a steering Issue Vag-Com solution???