Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

First Scratch on the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Scratch on the car

I was washing my car this weekend and after drying it I was going over it with a quick detailer, and lo and behold.. I found 3 small scratches about 3/4" on top of the Audi Logo on the front grill.

They were not there prior to me washing the car, so somewhere in my washing I picked up a piece of dirt or something on my detailing brush!!.

I'm glad it's in a not to visable spot, but still pissed me off.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch!!

Try scratch remover. Many brands out there. Work well for superficial scratches.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Yup, scratch removers work well on surface clearcoat scratches. Mother's Scratch Remover has worked very well for me over the years. Also, I'd avoid using a detailing brush on or near the paint surfaces; IMO a microfiber wash glove is a better option.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I just had someone scrape my drivers side rear quarter panel evidently from pulling into a parking spot to the left of me at my office parking garage. Lot's of deep scratches, some into the paint and a very small dent/crease in the sheet metal just above the wheel well rim. I was just marveling at how this is one of the most strikingly beautiful automobiles I've ever owned, Oolong Grey and all, and now... its been deflowered. It's just sickening. I'm in the quandary now of body work and repainting vs. trying to buff out 70-80% of the scratches and just living with it. Don't know that this paint could ever be matched. Hard since I'm one of those nuts who tries to go 3 years without a scratch.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
Well, I just had someone scrape my drivers side rear quarter panel evidently from pulling into a parking spot to the left of me at my office parking garage. Lot's of deep scratches, some into the paint and a very small dent/crease in the sheet metal just above the wheel well rim. I was just marveling at how this is one of the most strikingly beautiful automobiles I've ever owned, Oolong Grey and all, and now... its been deflowered. It's just sickening. I'm in the quandary now of body work and repainting vs. trying to buff out 70-80% of the scratches and just living with it. Don't know that this paint could ever be matched. Hard since I'm one of those nuts who tries to go 3 years without a scratch.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I feel for you as I have been there - either by an accident which isn't that bad as the scratches and dings that were self inflicted (yes, me!!).

Be sure to get a highly recommended body shop and they will put that baby back to brand new. Only drawback - you will be out of your A6 for weeks.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
I guess first scratches are inevitable, but I feel for you (both) - it always leaves a pit in your stomach when you try so hard to keep the car nice.

I'm not sure which is worse - inflicting the first yourself, or finding the damage that someone else so rudely leaves behind without taking responsibility. If it left a dent, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that they knew they did it. Ticks me off just thinking about it.

For what its worth, I've been amazed at the work a quality body shop can do these days to match paint. Not long ago, it seams like metallic paints where IMPOSSIBLE to match, and looked like crap, especially under parking lot lights. I had to have some work done on my A4 (parking lot strike too, but at least the guy left a note). After it was done, I really could not find any visible differences between the factory paint and the repair job. It has held up for 13 years too. It isn't cheap, but if you were going to get the dent fixed, it would seem like the paint fix might be worth it. Good luck with whatever decision you make...

My first mark came courtesy of my wife... who (Ive got no better way to put this) carelessly dragged a suitcase out of the trunk, letting the wheels drag across the bumper. The marks are small, but I know they are there. Not surprisingly, she took offense when I called her on it. If you could see her car, you would immediately understand the tense exchange of words. Lets just say that my 15 year old A4 looks better than her 3 year old Venza. To her, a car is nothing beyond a means of transportation. I'm a bit more OCD than that. She is probably right. (Repeat mantra : I'm sorry dear, I was wrong, you were right, it is only a car)..

Cars are cheaper than divorces. Cars can be fixed or replaced.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
I guess first scratches are inevitable, but I feel for you (both) - it always leaves a pit in your stomach when you try so hard to keep the car nice.

I'm not sure which is worse - inflicting the first yourself, or finding the damage that someone else so rudely leaves behind without taking responsibility. If it left a dent, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that they knew they did it. Ticks me off just thinking about it.

For what its worth, I've been amazed at the work a quality body shop can do these days to match paint. Not long ago, it seams like metallic paints where IMPOSSIBLE to match, and looked like crap, especially under parking lot lights. I had to have some work done on my A4 (parking lot strike too, but at least the guy left a note). After it was done, I really could not find any visible differences between the factory paint and the repair job. It has held up for 13 years too. It isn't cheap, but if you were going to get the dent fixed, it would seem like the paint fix might be worth it. Good luck with whatever decision you make...

My first mark came courtesy of my wife... who (Ive got no better way to put this) carelessly dragged a suitcase out of the trunk, letting the wheels drag across the bumper. The marks are small, but I know they are there. Not surprisingly, she took offense when I called her on it. If you could see her car, you would immediately understand the tense exchange of words. Lets just say that my 15 year old A4 looks better than her 3 year old Venza. To her, a car is nothing beyond a means of transportation. I'm a bit more OCD than that. She is probably right. (Repeat mantra : I'm sorry dear, I was wrong, you were right, it is only a car)..

Cars are cheaper than divorces. Cars can be fixed or replaced.
I hear you loud and clear on that one. LOL
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Big bummer.
Reminds me of when I was loading a small table into the back seat of my 2 week old A4 and smacked it against the fender. Left a nice big *** dent. Needless to say, I was mortified and really pissed at myself. My wife kept away from me the rest of the day. (A wise decision on her part).

Don't buff it. Get it fixed by a reputable body shop. A few days, a small pile of of bucks and it will look good as new.
You'll be much happier and you won't have to look at it each time you walk up to the car.
Then park as far away from everyone as you possibly can.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I feel for you. I had someone hit my car with a shopping cart at a grocery store. My black box didn't pick up the angle, it was just behind the left front wheel. It is a small but deep dent. Not looking forward to getting it fixed.