Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Comparing the B8 S4 to C7 A6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing the B8 S4 to C7 A6?

Anyone come from a B8 S4 before your 2012 A6?
What were the high points, low points, between them?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have, though there was a gap between the two. It's surprising just how close these two feel to drive despite the difference in size and if I were to be completely honest with you I reackon it's the A6 which feels the more composed in the corners with slightly more available grip.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S4 was a beast in quickness. A6 is tops in refinement. The engine is very responsive, just not as much as the s4. I would take the a6 though all the way.
Gadgets, build, put the a6 on top.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wonder how the C7 with the Stasis ECU would compare. I came from a 2010 S5. I was shocked with the A6 especially how smooth the acceleration is.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found the B8 S4 quicker in the turns with the sports differential and 19 inch rims vs. the C7 A6 with 20 inch sport package. Also, the extra 20 hp does make a difference in "seat of the pants" acceleration but the DSG is slightly rough in low speeds. I found the A6 accelerates more smoothly with the 8 speed auto and more quieter at highway speeds (due to the higher 8th gear). Also, better fuel economy in the A6.

The S4 sports seats with full nappa leather defintely more comfortable and rich feeling vs. the cheap looking milano leather non-sport seats available on the A6 (unfortunately, the sports seats or comfort seats not available in North America, yet).

A6 interior and tech gadgets defintely beats the S4.

Overall, I like both cars for different reasons but I do miss my S4 but needed a larger back seat room.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomagster
Wonder how the C7 with the Stasis ECU would compare. I came from a 2010 S5. I was shocked with the A6 especially how smooth the acceleration is.
I'm considering getting the APR Tune to find out. I came from a 2010 S4.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am making this very same decision right now. The new C7 refinement and similar powertrain make this at least worth exploring.

An S6 with a manual and a higher-output 3.0 TFSI would make this a simple decision for me. ANY Avant would have me, S4 or A6. Even with the 8 speed auto and softer suspension, I am leaning towards a Premium Plus A6 with 18" sport suspension and cold weather package.

I drove a Premium Plus 6MT 2012 S4 last Saturday. Very sweet automobile. And yet at 37, with a 5 and 6 year old, living in a cold city (Brookline, MA), I just see more utility in the A6. It still seems like a driver's car, just a little more subdued with a larger interior and great technology. Yes, I would much rather shift for myself.

I went to the dealer to have a hard look at buying a particular S4 they had on the lot, and I found myself spending a lot of time at the end admiring the C7 A6s. I guess this is one of the final steps in me turning into my father.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I were in your shoes I would either A) Buy the A6 or B) Wait to see if there is a facelifted S4 that comes out next year, ala similar to how the S5 got a refresh upcoming.

Even with that being said...the A6 will still likely have more "tech goodies" until a new generation S4 comes out.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sitting here at my desk I have decided on the A6. When I was relaxing last night having a beer, my non-family-man self reemerged and wanted the S4. I need a little more time on this I guess.

Here's an idea that would really endear the hardcore consumer to Audi: Allow for some unique configuring of U.S.-bound cars via the European Delivery program.

VW is no cheapskate when it comes to special projects (e.g. Bugatti). The argument for not bringing a particular engine/body type/trim line is often more about the cost of dealer support and cannibalization than crashing a few Avant shells for certification (if that's even necessary).

With the German assembly line such a plug-and-play operation these days, why not serve two ends and get some great loyalty for the company? Allow the Audi hardcore to order an A6 Avant or similar for Euro Delivery. Make it explicit if something Avant-specific breaks, the customer is paying for freight from the supplier (e.g. liftgate strut, etc). The model must be available in other markets for the configuration to be allowed, and it must meet U.S. requirements as configured.

As VW has gotten more interested in volume and profit in North America, this would be a great way to get "special" models to the kernel of customers that have always hung around these brands for their special products.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm afraid you're preaching to the choir. There has been a lot of disappointment on these boards sharing your sentiment.

Quick Reply: Comparing the B8 S4 to C7 A6?