Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Auto start/stop

Old 12-08-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Auto start/stop

I am still learning new things about my 2016 A6. It seems odd to me that when auto stop/start was engaged and I was stopped as at a traffic light (the green “A” lit) when I undid the seat belt (so I could wiggle to be able to get my wallet out of my jeans) the engine shut off. I then had to put the car in P and restart it using the start button.
I tried the same thing when auto start/stop was not engaged and the engine stayed running when I undid the seat belt. Is this normal?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am still learning new things about my 2016 A6. It seems odd to me that when auto stop/start was engaged and I was stopped as at a traffic light (the green “A” lit) when I undid the seat belt (so I could wiggle to be able to get my wallet out of my jeans) the engine shut off. I then had to put the car in P and restart it using the start button.
I tried the same thing when auto start/stop was not engaged and the engine stayed running when I undid the seat belt. Is this normal?
It's hard to use the idea of "normal" with this awful feature. Ours stopped the engine twice in the first week during stop and go traffic and refused to restart. It flashed a message saying a manual restart was needed....put in Park, hit ignition button again, reengaged Drive, all while on a local interstate at rush hour...freaked my wife out, who was driving. The dealer had no diagnosis. Tried to get a buy-back from Audi. Finally had the feature permanently killed....a well-earned fate for that dreaded technology. Suggest you do the same.

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-08-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob

Yeah I just recently picked up my A6 and have been reading thru the user manual. Look thru pages 72-73. It mentions the seatbelt needing to be fastened or the engine will shut off.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricckky
Yeah I just recently picked up my A6 and have been reading thru the user manual. Look thru pages 72-73. It mentions the seatbelt needing to be fastened or the engine will shut off.
Thanks. I have been poring through it as well but must have missed it.
I hope I don't have any problems with the start stop system as others have reported. I think it is providing better mpg and importantly it is at stand still that emissions really affect air quality and need to be controlled.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
It's hard to use the idea of "normal" with this awful feature. Ours stopped the engine twice in the first week during stop and go traffic and refused to restart. It flashed a message saying a manual restart was needed....put in Park, hit ignition button again, reengaged Drive, all while on a local interstate at rush hour...freaked my wife out, who was driving. The dealer had no diagnosis. Tried to get a buy-back from Audi. Finally had the feature permanently killed....a well-earned fate for that dreaded technology. Suggest you do the same.
How did you get this awful feature permanently killed?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-A6
Through the shared wisdom of our moderator and this community.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24712479

Once you get to the right screen, the only actual change is setting the "20" to "16", save and done. It's never activated again and the LED indicating "off" is permanently lit. A blessing.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-A6
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Through the shared wisdom of our moderator and this community.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24712479

Once you get to the right screen, the only actual change is setting the "20" to "16", save and done. It's never activated again and the LED indicating "off" is permanently lit. A blessing.
Just to clarify, the mod in the linked thread requires a Ross-Tech VCDS cable and their Vag-Com software running on a PC laptop or Mac with Windows emulator.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2016 A6 Atlanta Auto/Stop Feature Default Off

Does anyone have a vagcom person to contact in Atlanta so I can get the auto/stop feature defaulted to off.

Also any other recommended changes while I'm getting this done.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the auto shut off feature but I do sometimes turn it off when conditions dictate. Most of our traffic signals are a fairly long duration so I feel that it is doing its job and is saving me gas and the environment pollution. It can get less than useful where you are waiting to turn behind 16 cars and you move up one car at a time and stop for a second or two so the engine stops and starts at every move in the line. That is when I would defeat it.
The systems usefulness is greatly dependent on conditions and traffic but having the defeat button or VCDS to invert the functionality of the switch allows for most peoples requirements.

Last edited by DB22; 12-10-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WAudiA6
Does anyone have a vagcom person to contact in Atlanta so I can get the auto/stop feature defaulted to off.

Also any other recommended changes while I'm getting this done.

Thanks
Most Audi/VW indy repair shops would likely have one. Or you could invest in your own as it's a very useful tool that will serve you well now and with future Audis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto start/stop