Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ceramic Coating on NEW A6 in Nardo Gray

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating on NEW A6 in Nardo Gray

Hey guys,

I'm likely to pick-up an 18 A6 Comp in Nardo Gray that sitting in the showroom of our Audi dealer -- assuming reasonable pricing/trade on my BMW -- this afternoon. I'm curious if anyone has experimented with the ceramic coating available these days and has comments as to whether they make any sense. Given this car is sitting in a showroom now, taking it to the detail shop immediately after picking it up for the coating would be ideal.

Waste of money? Good preventative measure?

I'm trading my 2008 335xi and hope to keep the A6 for a similarly long haul..
Old 01-09-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I say do it from all the info I have read about it!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Webber
Hey guys,

I'm likely to pick-up an 18 A6 Comp in Nardo Gray that sitting in the showroom of our Audi dealer -- assuming reasonable pricing/trade on my BMW -- this afternoon. I'm curious if anyone has experimented with the ceramic coating available these days and has comments as to whether they make any sense. Given this car is sitting in a showroom now, taking it to the detail shop immediately after picking it up for the coating would be ideal.

Waste of money? Good preventative measure?

I'm trading my 2008 335xi and hope to keep the A6 for a similarly long haul..
Who are you thinking of using? I'm in the SW suburbs and thinking having the prep and ceramic coating applied.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Who are you thinking of using? I'm in the SW suburbs and thinking having the prep and ceramic coating applied.
My thinking has only progressed far enough to investigate whether it makes sense... My local carwash/detail shop just started offering the treatment; and, I've been curious whether it's any good. The manager there showed me his SUV a couple months ago - it was their test vehicle. I'll go have a look next time I'm in there.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my opinion ceramic coating is worth it. I have had black cars in the past without coating and with ceramic coating since new. Given the similar maintenance on my part, the one with coating held up a lot better over the years (less visible fine scratches and virtually no waterspots). Of course it doesn't mean no maintenance, you still have to clean up bird poops fast, otherwise it is still going to etch through the coating and to the paint.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's worth it if it's your daily and you don't like to maintain your car. I use sio2 (McKee's hydro blue) after each wash and it's amazing how hydrophobic the paint is vs waxes/sealants. I use regular carnauba and chem guys VO7 quick detailer on my gt350 since it's not a daily. The waxes/sealants give the paint more depth and shine vs a ceramic coating (from my exp) but they don't shed water as well and definitely doesn't last as long.

One thing you may want to consider is a clear bra on the front bumper and hood. The paint will get destroyed without it and a ceramic coating will not prevent it, If you simply want the affects of a ceramic coating just seal the paint with a good wax or synthetic and maintain with sio2.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you do a clear bra do the rear bumper too. I regret not doing the out side and top edge of the rear bumper.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
If you do a clear bra do the rear bumper too. I regret not doing the out side and top edge of the rear bumper.
Plus 1
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Recommendations on Chicago Area Installers of Ceramic Coatings

I am planning to put a ceramic coating on my 2017 A8L. I need recommendations from fellow Audi owners on the best coating and the best installers in the NW suburbs.

The installer closest to me is quoting about $1100 for Opti Coat Pro and about $1500 for the Opti Coat Pro+. Both prices are for coating the exterior painted areas and include the paint prep. Does this sound reasonable?

What quotes have you received for similar work in the Chicago area?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Prices, on average, seem about right if the wheels are included. The extra Plus coat will add an improved shine to the Pro coating. Also check out Ceramic Pro. I've had both Opti-Coat and CP done over the years and I find the Ceramic Pro to be more glossy.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating on NEW A6 in Nardo Gray