Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Can I add side assist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add side assist?

Ok, I fell in love with my GF's Q5 mirrors which tell the driver that a car is approaching. Can that be added to a C7 A6? if so, has anyone done it? Does it have to be an Audi modification or is there a good 3rd party solution?

Last edited by SamLV; 11-05-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Ipad autoincorrect
Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It could be added but it might be cheaper to spend the money on a down payment for one with it.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hardly use mine because I actually look in my mirrors
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forza1976
I hardly use mine because I actually look in my mirrors
I leave mine ON all the time for extra safety. If the "warning light is NOT on" I can safely change lanes quickly if I need/want to. The light keeps me from having to lean forward to check my blind spot in the mirrors. And also if I see a car in my mirror, but the light comes on, it means that car is approaching too fast for me to safely change lanes--a nice safety feature.

Last edited by dicktahoe; 11-06-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't turn it off, I just ignore it! Perhaps you should adjust your mirrors correctly so you don't have to "lean forward" to check your blind spot. Just a thought
Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't turn it off, I just ignore it! Perhaps you should adjust your mirrors correctly so you don't have to "lean forward" to check your blind spot. Just a thought
For me, I've always found it helpful to adjust my side-mirrors so I can just see the back edge of my car on each side--this adjustment creates a blind spot if a car in the next lane is up close.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder or to lean forward to safely change lanes.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

+1

I follow the SAE guide that is the same as the AARP teaches in its "safe old farts" driving course (of course they don't call it that, but that's what we are lol). I didn't learn much else from the course but do enjoy the insurance discount it offers in NYS.

I like Side Assist, but never use it to make driving decisions; I see it as confirmation. My eyes, the mirrors and my neck are the main source of information about what is coming and what to do next.

Ditto in a way for the backup cam, but that does offer a lot of help in places you cant see without getting out and walking back there! A foot-high residual steel post where there is no fence any more, for example.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
For me, I've always found it helpful to adjust my side-mirrors so I can just see the back edge of my car on each side--this adjustment creates a blind spot if a car in the next lane is up close.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder or to lean forward to safely change lanes.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors.
I hear ya, I do exactly as the SAE's suggested approach but have been doing it for some time now. I agree it is very disorienting for others who drive my car (namely my wife) so I do understand your point of view.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Recently I started a thread about false blind spot warnings. Since I learned from a member here how to properly adjust my mirrors, it doesn't phase me anymore. I can't believe I drove for almost 30 years with my mirrors so far out of whack!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I tried the correct way...

And couldn't get used to it. Also, I back out of a tight detached garage from which I cannot back strait out (because the house is in the way). So the typical position of the side view mirrors helps me make sure that I am clear on both sides as I exit the garage, turn around the back corner of my house and drive down the driveway which is right next to the house. If I had the 360 camera maybe I could use that instead.

Quick Reply: Can I add side assist?