Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

C7 "Hidden" Gems List

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Its hard not to love AW when threads like this appear.... I think I have read each on of these at one time or another, but having them in one place is very nice. Snagit, thanks for taking the time to summarize these... Hope you can find some cheap ink for your keyboard.
Not sure if this qualifies as a gem, but...

The other day I was sitting in the car doing some work with the VAG. I noticed that when I was sitting in the car with the ignition off, at some point the A/C (or fan) would come on. At first I panicked thinking I messed something up by playing around with the VAG, but then we tried it in my buddy's A6 and it did the same thing. I haven't looked it up yet, but I guess it might be some sort of safety feature that circulates the air if the car is closed up and it senses some sort of movement inside?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Not sure if this qualifies as a gem, but...

The other day I was sitting in the car doing some work with the VAG. I noticed that when I was sitting in the car with the ignition off, at some point the A/C (or fan) would come on. At first I panicked thinking I messed something up by playing around with the VAG, but then we tried it in my buddy's A6 and it did the same thing. I haven't looked it up yet, but I guess it might be some sort of safety feature that circulates the air if the car is closed up and it senses some sort of movement inside?
Did cold air come out of vents? It would be strange for a turned off car to run A/C or internal fan for no reason. One thing was noted in the manual is that the engine fan may come on after the car is off, to cool down the engine. That's normal. My previous BMW 330xi would do that as well, after it was driven for a long time and needed a cool-down.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar11
You can also tap down on the shifter as if you're going into S mode (but it doesn't put you in S mode) to quickly get back to Auto mode (at least in mine it works that way).
You're absolutely right. I knew that but forgot to include it with the paddle shifter "gem". Also, when you pull down on the console shifter from the paddle manual mode, it remembers the last Auto mode, D or S, that you were in before you hit a paddle.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven

One thing I haven't been able to reproduce is the car locking after a period of time on it's own after turning it off and walking away. My '09 A4 did that.
Update:

I've just been playing with this and discovered that if you lock the car, then unlock it without entering the vehicle, it will auto-lock after a minute or so without regard to the key's range. It will not auto-lock if you just exit the car and walk away without locking it. Interesting design change by Audi. As I wrote above, my A4 would lock itself after awhile, also no matter how far away the key.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about we keep the thread going with a list of hidden gems we WISH we had or could find! I'll start:

- A phone button on the steering wheel to hang up a phone call while in NAV mode (instead of having to first switch to telephone mode and then punch the MMI ****)

- A way to have the MMI retain station presets after you shut the car off vs. the full list of stations

- Radio station buttons with a tactile feel and don't require taking your eyes off the road to look down at the center console to change a station

- For those of us with Prestige package, a steering wheel that comes down into memory setting place EVERY time you start the car (vs. just intermittently)

- More back seat leg room and a place for a middle passenger to put their legs

- Telematics with a live operator (like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and every other luxury car brand has)

- A split screen NAV screen that let's you see what's playing on the radio/SAT at the same time as the navigation screen (like BMW's do)

- More side to side back and leg bolstering in the front seats to hold you more securely in tight corners

- The ability to feed destinations from Google Maps to your NAV without having to pay extra for it (like BMW)

OK, OK, I'll stop now. I'm just in a pissy mood for some reason, lol. As my daughter would say, these are #firstworldproblems. I do love the car actually...

Anyone else want to add to the list?

Last edited by Gator Neil; 06-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
How about we keep the thread going with a list of hidden gems we WISH we had or could find! I'll start:

- A phone button on the steering wheel to hang up a phone call while in NAV mode (instead of having to first switch to telephone mode and then punch the MMI ****)

- A way to have the MMI retain station presets after you shut the car off vs. the full list of stations

- Radio station buttons with a tactile feel and don't require taking your eyes off the road to look down at the center console to change a station

- For those of us with Prestige package, a steering wheel that comes down into memory setting place EVERY time you start the car (vs. just intermittently)

- More back seat leg room and a place for a middle passenger to put their legs

- Telematics with a live operator (like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and every other luxury car brand has)

- A split screen NAV screen that let's you see what's playing on the radio/SAT at the same time as the navigation screen (like BMW's do)

- More side to side back and leg bolstering in the front seats to hold you more securely in tight corners

- The ability to feed destinations from Google Maps to your NAV without having to pay extra for it (like BMW)

OK, OK, I'll stop now. I'm just in a pissy mood for some reason, lol. As my daughter would say, these are #firstworldproblems. I do love the car actually...

Anyone else want to add to the list?
I have a wish, NO Rattles.....for a car this expensive i have had it back to the dealer 4 times for rattles in the front doors, finally they fixed the passenger side one with the help of a Tech bulletin but now have to get drivers door done. Love the car but I hate rattles and a car this pricey should not have any.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
I guess you missed my request we not go into couldas, shouldas and complaints in this thread but stick to the hidden gems that already exist.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gemunji
I have a wish, NO Rattles.
Could we please stick to the topic of "Hidden Gems" here as I requested?
There are plenty of other threads to discuss complaints or shortcomings.
Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've not seen this in my nav. Are you in the U.S.? If so, what is your MMI version?
Yes I am in the US (San Diego).
Perhaps you have not given it a destination that has a street view (not everything does just yet )

Right now I am traveling, but when I get back on Fri I can check the MMI version.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could we please stick to the topic of "Hidden Gems" here as I requested?
There are plenty of other threads to discuss complaints or shortcomings.
Thanks.
+1,000 please! Thanks!

Quick Reply: C7 "Hidden" Gems List