Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

C7 Audi oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
a) @tenspeed - you have ALL the coolest pictures! {Bows down}
Thanks Richard! I like saving pictures for reference. It might have something to do with my 26 years at Kodak.

If I was removing a belly pan for any reason, I would stow it in the garage rafters. It might save the cost of buying another one for any reason including trade in time.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
a)
I'm afraid you may have bought the wrong car because the belly pan is by NO MEANS the least intuitive design point on an Audi
You got that right. Take the cup holders for example. They are not properly sized for today's drink cups, can easily puncture paper or styro cups and spilled fluid can leak down into the console wiring. I'm considering ripping out the entire console and sending it to Audi's engineers. Although, I might just keep it in my garage rafters.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You got that right. Take the cup holders for example. They are not properly sized for today's drink cups, can easily puncture paper or styro cups and spilled fluid can leak down into the console wiring. I'm considering ripping out the entire console and sending it to Audi's engineers. Although, I might just keep it in my garage rafters.
Chick fil A styrofoam cup = Cup holders full of sticky soda. I'll only make that mistake once. I'd love to get my hands on the person who designed the cup holders.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, based on all the feedbacks here, I realized I bought the wrong car. The belly pan is not the only thing I will throw away. Yes, the stupid cup holders…thanks, guys! I will use my chain saw and cut off the entire console and give it back to the Audi engineers…hahaaa. Anything else? How about the brake dust? I hear lots of complaints. No, I don’t want to be a whimp and just replace brake pads. Ok, I will cut off the entire brake system with my chain saw, removing the master cylinder, hoses, calipers and all brake parts and deliver to the Audi engineers for re-design. Please don’t be shy to let me know anything else that needs to be removed from my car. Yes, everything that is poorly designed must go…hahaaaa..
Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidoodle
Please don’t be shy to let me know anything else that needs to be removed from my car. Yes, everything that is poorly designed must go…hahaaaa..
Since you asked, the driver?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the 3.0T engine on the A6 have a physical oil dipstick? Anyone tried to see if an oil extractor would work well? Some engines are better set up for this than others.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It does not come from the factory with a dipstick. But the tube is there to put one in and it might (should) work with an oil extractor. I always worry about leaving the worst part of the oil sitting in the bottom of the pan, and not cleaning any shavings off of the drain plug when I use these devices.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audidoodle
Yes, based on all the feedbacks here, I realized I bought the wrong car. The belly pan is not the only thing I will throw away. Yes, the stupid cup holders…thanks, guys! I will use my chain saw and cut off the entire console and give it back to the Audi engineers…hahaaa. Anything else? How about the brake dust? I hear lots of complaints. No, I don’t want to be a whimp and just replace brake pads. Ok, I will cut off the entire brake system with my chain saw, removing the master cylinder, hoses, calipers and all brake parts and deliver to the Audi engineers for re-design. Please don’t be shy to let me know anything else that needs to be removed from my car. Yes, everything that is poorly designed must go…hahaaaa..
If I were you I would just Jack up the Radiator Cap and run a new Ferrari under it!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to order an oil dip stick from your dealer. I did just for back up to what is reported via the MMI. At my 35 K service the service department did not extract all the oil out but did put in the total amount of oil required for the change resulting in an extra quart of oil. Now this will not show up via the MMI but will with a dip stick.

I have replaced the oil using an oil extractor without any issues. In both cases it sucked out a little more than 7 qts. of oil. It is a heck of a lot easier changing the oil using an oil extractor than using the oil pan drain hole.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Following up on helpful post #9 which says:

7) 8 mm Spline (12 point thingy for big screws in belly pan- got from NAPA)

Beware: I found 4 screws require a 10 mm spline. The 8 mm spline does not work.

Quick Reply: C7 Audi oil change DIY