Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

C7 Audi oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Here is a link to a DIY on the 3.0L V6 in a A4. There may be differences but it hits all the basic parts. Read all the way through first. There seems to be different drain plugs and tools to remove them.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24026371

Take some pictures of what you found and write a DIY for the C7 folks.
Thank you, TenSpeed. I saw your post after I completed my oil change but it was very easy after i removed that silly belly pan. I did a write-up a few minutes ago and posted above. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidoodle
Your element filter comes with 2 gaskets, use the bigger one to match the old one. Torque filter housing to 25 Nm, no specs on the drain plug, so I used the same.
You were very close with the drain plug torque. I looked it up in the Quick Reference and the specs say 30 Nm. 26 Nm should be fine since the drain plug has only been out one time.

Thank you, TenSpeed. I saw your post after I completed my oil change but it was very easy after i removed that silly belly pan. I did a write-up a few minutes ago and posted above. Thanks again!
Thanks for the write up. I'm sure others will find it useful for years to come.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks again, TenSpeed. 30 Nm it is for the drain plug torque. I will re-torque. Now that the belly pan has been removed, I can reach the drain plug without even raising the car...so easy.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just FYI, the belly pan is there for airflow management more than protection (though I'm sure it serves both purposes). My C5 belly pan is a PITA and the longest part of an oil change, but my advice would be to suck it up and keep the thing on there when you're not wrenching!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, Richard Solomon I am fully aware the belly pan is there to reduce drag coefficient (very very little) besides protection. But it is poorly design to have 3 different types of screws and that many screws to fasten that piece of garbage. And to use M8 Spline (12 point screw) is ridiculous and stupid..normal Phllips screw is fine. I will inform the dealer when I throw that belly pan away so Audi engineers can get the message.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have read about others cutting an access hole in the pan for oil changes.

Name:  airflow_zpsf33e046c.jpg
Views: 7443
Size:  175.7 KB
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why the pan is there! Good idea to leave it in place. Great illustration.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

"Poorly design(ed)", "piece of garbage", "ridiculous and stupid" and letting them know the pan will be thrown away. I'm sure this messaging to Audi engineers will be carefully considered.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hahaaa...you guys crack me up. Yes, nice CFD simulation I know. It makes a diff if you're racing at 200 mph to keep drag down but it has very little effect for daily driving. I also don't like the pan collecting little pebbles and debris. On second thought, I wont 't throw that belly pan away but I will give it to the dealer as a special gift...hahaa. He can keep it for good and send it to the Audi engineers...
Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am fully aware the belly pan is there to reduce drag coefficient
a) drag is not the only reason for airflow management
b) I'm afraid you may have bought the wrong car because the belly pan is by NO MEANS the least intuitive design point on an Audi
c) it may be difficult to claim "it just fell off" when AoA denies a warranty claim due to lack of belly pan (or whatever long German name it really has) due to aforementioned plethora of diverse fasteners!

@tenspeed - you have ALL the coolest pictures! {Bows down}

Quick Reply: C7 Audi oil change DIY