Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Bought the car on 10/4 so it's time to make some changes

Old 11-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apercele79
lol i put it back on before they bust me...i also have a European plate that I love the way it looks so i'm kinda picking my spots on when to put the american/european plate or simply go plateless
I live in LA also and haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in the past 15 years. In that time, I've gotten probably 15-20 missing front plate tickets (all while parked on the street). The tix are $25, but are fixit tix, so each time I just stop by a police station or the dmv, slap on a front plate with double stick tape, get the ticket stamped, and then pay $10 instead of the $25. IMO, the little bit of time and hassle and $150-200 over 15 years is a small price to pay to not have the front of my car uglified by a plate.

I'm also interested in doing the trim wrap though - can you post or pm me the price you paid?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=krick;24509680] IMO, the little bit of time and hassle and $150-200 over 15 years is a small price to pay to not have the front of my car uglified by a plate.QUOTE]

The illegality of your acts doesn't bother you? I can't imagine doing what you've done - sounds scummy and grave to me FWIW
Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=irenesbob;24509697]
Originally Posted by krick
IMO, the little bit of time and hassle and $150-200 over 15 years is a small price to pay to not have the front of my car uglified by a plate.QUOTE]

The illegality of your acts doesn't bother you? I can't imagine doing what you've done - sounds scummy and grave to me FWIW
Not in the least, and I have no idea what about it strikes you as being scummy or grave. Is it the mere fact that I blatantly disregard the law that requires front plates, or is it the fact that I "fix it" to reduce the fine, or both? If it's the first, then there's nothing I can really say about that as I don't believe that dogmatic adherence to laws, particularly those that have zero statistical basis, is particularly useful or beneficial to a civil society. I would be the first person to agree that complete and utter disregard for laws based on personal and individual assessment of the validity or efficacy of the law in question is a sure road to chaos, but I don't believe that my conduct in any way puts us, as a society, in jeopardy of sliding down that slippery slope. If you disagree with that, that's certainly your prerogative and far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise. If it's the latter, then perhaps (or perhaps not) it's worth noting that I make no effort to conceal my disregard of the law or to deceive anyone. I do not at any point claim that I had my front plate on when I received the ticket, nor do I claim at any point that the ticket was improperly given. I accept and assume the risk that I will receive a ticket for not bearing a front plate, and I don't complain when I do receive a ticket. Moreover, it's not as if the "fixing" of the ticket in any way insulates me from further prosecution. The second I remove the temporarily affixed front plate, I know and accept that I'm at risk to receive a further ticket and I'm fine with that.

As an academic aside, I do happen to feel that the front plate law is ridiculous - there is, as I understand it, zero statistical support for its existence. There is, to my knowledge, no evidence that in jurisdictions in which it is in effect there is any greater rate of vehicle identification than in jurisdictions in which no such requirement is in effect. By the same token, I happen to think it's outrageous and offensive that the fine for being at an expired meter for 1 minute is over 1000x the per minute cost of the meter, but when I do receive a parking ticket for an expired meter, I accept responsibility for it with the knowledge that I have no one to blame but myself.

If all of the above just reinforces your belief that I'm "scummy and grave", so be it - you're free to think as you please about my conduct and I'm free to think as I please about your beliefs, sensibilities, rationality and intelligence.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=krick;24509757]
Originally Posted by irenesbob

Not in the least, and I have no idea what about it strikes you as being scummy or grave. Is it the mere fact that I blatantly disregard the law that requires front plates, or is it the fact that I "fix it" to reduce the fine, or both? If it's the first, then there's nothing I can really say about that as I don't believe that dogmatic adherence to laws, particularly those that have zero statistical basis, is particularly useful or beneficial to a civil society. I would be the first person to agree that complete and utter disregard for laws based on personal and individual assessment of the validity or efficacy of the law in question is a sure road to chaos, but I don't believe that my conduct in any way puts us, as a society, in jeopardy of sliding down that slippery slope. If you disagree with that, that's certainly your prerogative and far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise. If it's the latter, then perhaps (or perhaps not) it's worth noting that I make no effort to conceal my disregard of the law or to deceive anyone. I do not at any point claim that I had my front plate on when I received the ticket, nor do I claim at any point that the ticket was improperly given. I accept and assume the risk that I will receive a ticket for not bearing a front plate, and I don't complain when I do receive a ticket. Moreover, it's not as if the "fixing" of the ticket in any way insulates me from further prosecution. The second I remove the temporarily affixed front plate, I know and accept that I'm at risk to receive a further ticket and I'm fine with that.

As an academic aside, I do happen to feel that the front plate law is ridiculous - there is, as I understand it, zero statistical support for its existence. There is, to my knowledge, no evidence that in jurisdictions in which it is in effect there is any greater rate of vehicle identification than in jurisdictions in which no such requirement is in effect. By the same token, I happen to think it's outrageous and offensive that the fine for being at an expired meter for 1 minute is over 1000x the per minute cost of the meter, but when I do receive a parking ticket for an expired meter, I accept responsibility for it with the knowledge that I have no one to blame but myself.

If all of the above just reinforces your belief that I'm "scummy and grave", so be it - you're free to think as you please about my conduct and I'm free to think as I please about your beliefs, sensibilities, rationality and intelligence.
You are such an outlaw and a rebel
Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zukbang
how much did you pay for the black wraps?
I think 400 or 450 for the front grill and window trims, i dont remember exactly. One of the 2
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Looks sharp!!! Congrats.
Where did you buy the DVD player setup and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
$250 for both dvd players and they come with 2 videogame dvds and joysticks (one for each headrest obviously) so my 5 yr old is happier than a pig in $hyt, she cant wait to hop in her carseat. Installation was $200. For people with black leather, these headrests are identical to our stocks, you cannot tell the diff one bit that they're aftermarket. Best 450 i spent!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by krick
I live in LA also and haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in the past 15 years. In that time, I've gotten probably 15-20 missing front plate tickets (all while parked on the street). The tix are $25, but are fixit tix, so each time I just stop by a police station or the dmv, slap on a front plate with double stick tape, get the ticket stamped, and then pay $10 instead of the $25. IMO, the little bit of time and hassle and $150-200 over 15 years is a small price to pay to not have the front of my car uglified by a plate.

I'm also interested in doing the trim wrap though - can you post or pm me the price you paid?
400-450 at this place called sticker city in sherman oaks. Check out their website and work, these guys are swamped they do stuff like this for the entire city
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Car looks awesome. Will you be painting the calipers in red, similar to the A4?

As for the front plate, we also have a front plate requirement in N.Y. and a discussion on the S5 forum, it seems lots of folks in California go without them. I'd like to keep my S5's front clean also but cops here will certainly stop me while rolling and I'd rather do without the hassle.
Besides, I have plates I'm kinda proud of...they have a back drop of the American flag and state: Veteran. Surely nicer than the pumpkin orange Empire State plates currently used in N.Y.
Awesome looking A6...Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I went 70 mph last night in a 65 mph zone! Clearly I'm going to hell.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Car looks awesome. Will you be painting the calipers in red, similar to the A4?

As for the front plate, we also have a front plate requirement in N.Y. and a discussion on the S5 forum, it seems lots of folks in California go without them. I'd like to keep my S5's front clean also but cops here will certainly stop me while rolling and I'd rather do without the hassle.
Besides, I have plates I'm kinda proud of...they have a back drop of the American flag and state: Veteran. Surely nicer than the pumpkin orange Empire State plates currently used in N.Y.
Awesome looking A6...Enjoy!
I'll def paint them red, just havent gotten around to doing it.
As far as NY, i lived in Queens 20 yrs, im way too familiar with those cops and how strict they are lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought the car on 10/4 so it's time to make some changes