Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

The Bose Stereo. Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love crappy audio.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
You're not going to be unsatisfied with the BOSE, I think it lacks output, I'm trying to see if I can raise the max volume through the internal settings, but I don't have my car yet I'm going nuts. I'm quite happy with the base it puts out, but I was surprised it didn't have it's own sub adjustment.

I hope the updates some were talking about will improve a few things.
Agree re: the sub adjustment. The loaner i had with the basic system last week had the sub adjustment and it made all the difference. Be cautious with the update. See post just above for details.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by das2.7t
I did the same update last week and have the same result. See my post about it here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2834906&page=2

I'm not taking mine back until late next week. If you take yours back first, please let me know what they say. Likely, they'll say it is an isolated issue so you can point them to this thread as confirmation that it is not.
I am going to take it in sometime next week.... Will let you know how it goes. I will most probably tell them to revert back to my old approved firmware rather than making them fix this one.

Its not officially out so it isn't their fault either.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guys, I think be careful with forcing your dealer to do an update!! If something works don't fix it!!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sat in a S6- Didnt get to drive it as it was sold..

However, b&o is just out of this world....i am so glad i got it!!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by noah123
Guys, I think be careful with forcing your dealer to do an update!! If something works don't fix it!!
Are you sprinkling salt on my wound
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Archieafroz
Hey Guys, So i have a 2012 A6 Prestige and after reading through this post couple of times last few days, I went my dealer and told them that I wanted the following update. HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

The dealer got back to me saying that this version is not in circulation yet and there is no TSB out for my car. He did mention that there was a version out there somewhere in the Audi's database and if i wanted, I could have it. I was excited and told him to update my system with HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

Got my car back today and this is the problem I have with this update:

1. As soon as I sat in the car, the volume was really low, I went up to 20 scale and I sounded better. I could hear the same thing at 13 scale earlier
2. Went into sound settings and noticed my dials were all at the highest level. The bass, treble were all at max. I never keep them at max.
3. I decided to change the fader and balance and this is where I thought to myself, "I should have never doe this update".

What i noticed is, if i bring the fader all the way to the front, I hear the sound in the middle of my car. If i bring it all the way in the back, I hear the music all the way in the front and only on the driver side.

The whole thing is messed up. I have to go back to the dealer and revert back to my old firmware.

This is just a heads-up to all that are thinking of getting this update. It might work for (like few people) and not work for few (Like me )
Originally Posted by das2.7t
I did the same update last week and have the same result. See my post about it here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2834906&page=2

I'm not taking mine back until late next week. If you take yours back first, please let me know what they say. Likely, they'll say it is an isolated issue so you can point them to this thread as confirmation that it is not.
I took mine in today. It was a pretty funny expeirience. When I called yesterday and described the symptoms, they asked me to swing by this morning to "instruct me on the use of" the system I have had for 11 months. First tech sits in the car and pulls up the sound settings. He mentionns that it sounds fine without noticing that he has to push the volume setting to 20+ to get any real volume. Then he looked at the balance/fader and got his first clue as it was adjusted far left and down just to get some semblance of a balanced sound distribution. He fiddled around with it for a few minutes, called a couple of other techs over, tried the settings for various media (same result) and, at my direction, placed a call via bluetooth (sound comes from far back and is very hollow) then pronounced that "something is very wrong here". I said "you thought I was a whacko, right" and he told me that they get over 100 requests for service on "broken" sound systems per month and only one or two per year end up being an actual problem. It's so bad that they don't even start a service ticket on the car when the calls come in, they just have the person swing by and show them what they are doing wrong. I suggested that while not a pervasive issue, it is not isolated as I knew of at least one other that had the same issue.

The tech said he'd check with Audi but since the MMI upgrade was published so recently, it is unlikely that there is much of a fix history for them to research. He asked how desperate I was to get my car back pronto and I said to take their time and get it right. Apparantly, there are some kudos to be had for the dealer service shop that details a problem first and works with the corp technicians, whether they be software, hardware, engine, trans, suspension, etc... engineers, to find the resolution.

I listened in on the techs as they started to discuss the issue amongst themselves. It looks like the MMI software controls just about everything electronic in the car. In the case of the sound system, they were talking about the sound "routing" that takes place from the amp to the speakers. They talked about a unified amp across the models (for example, the Bose amp across the entire line, from A3 to Q7, is the same) but the MMI software maps that sound to the various speaker configurations in the various models. That's interesting, if I heard and understood correctly. Maybe that's why simply replacing the amp in the hopes of getting better sound might be a non-starter. Maybe that's why there is no subwoofer control on the Bose systems. I'd guess the entry-level sound system speakers are powered by the internal amp of the base radio and that is well integrated with the MMI software to offer that level of control whereas the Bose amp is not as tightly integrated or lacks that basic capability altogether. If so, the Audi sound engineering team did a poor job of sourcing the Bose product or did a poor job of providing a detailed specification to their provider. IT 101; provide a poor specification, get a poor result.

Sorry for the mindless blathering. I'll give an update when I get the car back.

Last edited by das2.7t; 10-19-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

First time post.

I have a 2011 Q7 Bose. I am having a problem with what seems like something between the amp and the speakers. I am essentially missing a sound component. In other words, when I listen to certain songs, I am missing an instrument or instruments (most often one of the guitar channels). I brought this to the attention of the dealership about six months ago and they said that they replaced a speaker. Didn't work. I have tried to find some guitar driven songs where even a dance music person can see that something is missing in the output.

The song 'December' by Collective Soul was one where the intro guitar is barely audible at any level.

I was hoping that my issue isn't unique.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Score8
Hi,

First time post.

I have a 2011 Q7 Bose. I am having a problem with what seems like something between the amp and the speakers. I am essentially missing a sound component. In other words, when I listen to certain songs, I am missing an instrument or instruments (most often one of the guitar channels). I brought this to the attention of the dealership about six months ago and they said that they replaced a speaker. Didn't work. I have tried to find some guitar driven songs where even a dance music person can see that something is missing in the output.

The song 'December' by Collective Soul was one where the intro guitar is barely audible at any level.

I was hoping that my issue isn't unique.
Were you listening to HD radio? If so, I had the same problem. Read this thread for my reply https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826861

My Bose is so much better across the board! All sources sound better, better bass response, volume, and overall sound.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notorious Tech
Were you listening to HD radio? If so, I had the same problem. Read this thread for my reply https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826861

My Bose is so much better across the board! All sources sound better, better bass response, volume, and overall sound.
Folks, I posted my experience in this thread as well. I just did a 500 mile trip and the Bose is night and day better. For the post that had problems after the upgrade I'm wondering if it didn't load correctly. After the upgrade, you can only select all, front, or back focus positions, no more driver. I like it best on "all". Bass, separation, and sound quality sound like a different system to me. I'm actually happy with the radio now.

It's out there and it works imop, insist that your service dept. does the upgrade. Takes about two hours.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Notorious Tech
That's very strange, fader and balance work perfectly in my car (it's set just aft and to the right of center), bass is at about 1:00, treble is at 12:00, and surround is at 2:00. Focus is set to all and Audiopilot is on.

And that's with HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5
I just updated to R7015_2 and the balance/fade settings are all jacked. When the settings are in the middle, the sound goes to the back and the front has no sound. Moving the circle to the front produces a fuller sound in the car. Left and right settings don't balance and it plays on both sides. At least the sound is better than before, but still crap.

Quick Reply: The Bose Stereo. Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love crappy audio.