Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

The Bose Stereo. Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love crappy audio.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westchesterrick
Incidentally, the MMI version on my car at the moment is

HN+R_US_AU_P0487.

It is NOT HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5 that was mentioned several times by the others.
You'll see in my sig that I too have a 2012 A6 Prestige, and I was one of the ones who reported the MMI update to HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5. I just had the service performed about a month ago.
My HD radio sounds MUCH better, as does FM, Sirius, and AMI (tested it all this morning).

Here's the thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826861
Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

You know depending on the time stamp when each of these cars were made things could be different....

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Notorious Tech
You'll see in my sig that I too have a 2012 A6 Prestige, and I was one of the ones who reported the MMI update to HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5. I just had the service performed about a month ago.
My HD radio sounds MUCH better, as does FM, Sirius, and AMI (tested it all this morning).

Here's the thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826861

So, hope restored, maybe? I'm planning to bring mine in for an interim checkup + oil change at 10k miles next month (or December); will see what -- if anything -- they can do for me then.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm having a custom sub enclosure built that will fill the crevice on the right side of the trunk with an 8" Alpine Type-R sub. It should sit almost flush with the right side of the trunk and will be carpeted to match. It will be fed by an Alpine MRX-M55 amp that accepts speaker level input.

The stock sub will be removed (the space used as a port) and the rear deck dynamat-ed.

I'll lose that space that I've never used and the power point I only just realized was there. I hope to gain enough low-end to make the rest of the Bose system livable.

I'll let everyone know how this goes.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiantEli
I'm having a custom sub enclosure built that will fill the crevice on the right side of the trunk with an 8" Alpine Type-R sub. It should sit almost flush with the right side of the trunk and will be carpeted to match. It will be fed by an Alpine MRX-M55 amp that accepts speaker level input.

The stock sub will be removed (the space used as a port) and the rear deck dynamat-ed.

I'll lose that space that I've never used and the power point I only just realized was there. I hope to gain enough low-end to make the rest of the Bose system livable.

I'll let everyone know how this goes.
Awesome stuff. I can't wait to hear how this goes.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Guys, So i have a 2012 A6 Prestige and after reading through this post couple of times last few days, I went my dealer and told them that I wanted the following update. HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

The dealer got back to me saying that this version is not in circulation yet and there is no TSB out for my car. He did mention that there was a version out there somewhere in the Audi's database and if i wanted, I could have it. I was excited and told him to update my system with HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

Got my car back today and this is the problem I have with this update:

1. As soon as I sat in the car, the volume was really low, I went up to 20 scale and I sounded better. I could hear the same thing at 13 scale earlier
2. Went into sound settings and noticed my dials were all at the highest level. The bass, treble were all at max. I never keep them at max.
3. I decided to change the fader and balance and this is where I thought to myself, "I should have never doe this update".

What i noticed is, if i bring the fader all the way to the front, I hear the sound in the middle of my car. If i bring it all the way in the back, I hear the music all the way in the front and only on the driver side.

The whole thing is messed up. I have to go back to the dealer and revert back to my old firmware.

This is just a heads-up to all that are thinking of getting this update. It might work for (like few people) and not work for few (Like me )
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Archieafroz
Hey Guys, So i have a 2012 A6 Prestige and after reading through this post couple of times last few days, I went my dealer and told them that I wanted the following update. HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

The dealer got back to me saying that this version is not in circulation yet and there is no TSB out for my car. He did mention that there was a version out there somewhere in the Audi's database and if i wanted, I could have it. I was excited and told him to update my system with HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

1. As soon as I sat in the car, the volume was really low, I went up to 20 scale and I sounded better. I could hear the same thing at 13 scale earlier
2. Went into sound settings and noticed my dials were all at the highest level. The bass, treble were all at max. I never keep them at max.
3. I decided to change the fader and balance and this is where I thought to myself, "I should have never doe this update".

What i noticed is, if i bring the fader all the way to the front, I hear the sound in the middle of my car. If i bring it all the way in the back, I hear the music all the way in the front and only on the driver side.

The whole thing is messed up. I have to go back to the dealer and revert back to my old firmware.

This is just a heads-up to all that are thinking of getting this update. It might work for (like few people) and not work for few (Like me )
That's very strange, fader and balance work perfectly in my car (it's set just aft and to the right of center), bass is at about 1:00, treble is at 12:00, and surround is at 2:00. Focus is set to all and Audiopilot is on.

And that's with HN+R_US_AU_K0566_5

Last edited by Notorious Tech; 10-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
I drove a 2013 P+, which had the standard system.

I have to say, it was even more lacking. No definition, very stale music. I listen to techno and there is alot of moments where it's just synth which reaches a climax then hit with the base hard... Well it wasn't as exciting with the Standard system.

Honestly, I was happy to come back to my Bose... like the lesser of two bad things.
I am professional DJ and I found the standard system extremely poor. To listen to any music even when the car is parked you have to turn it up about half vol level.

I am getting BOSE (NO B&O option in 2.0T) If I need to upgrade sub I will be happy to do so but I don't think I can settle for standard system. It's simply crap.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotch A6
I am professional DJ and I found the standard system extremely poor. To listen to any music even when the car is parked you have to turn it up about half vol level.

I am getting BOSE (NO B&O option in 2.0T) If I need to upgrade sub I will be happy to do so but I don't think I can settle for standard system. It's simply crap.
You're not going to be unsatisfied with the BOSE, I think it lacks output, I'm trying to see if I can raise the max volume through the internal settings, but I don't have my car yet I'm going nuts. I'm quite happy with the base it puts out, but I was surprised it didn't have it's own sub adjustment.

I hope the updates some were talking about will improve a few things.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Archieafroz

I did the same update last week and have the same result. See my post about it here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2834906&page=2

I'm not taking mine back until late next week. If you take yours back first, please let me know what they say. Likely, they'll say it is an isolated issue so you can point them to this thread as confirmation that it is not.

Quick Reply: The Bose Stereo. Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love crappy audio.