Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the blind spot view very limited on Audi's? What is your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
...Between the driver side window and the driver side back window there is an panel. On the Audi this is about 3 inches wider than my current cars. So what was happening at me, when I turned my head I had no view to the driver side back window because It was blocked by the side paneling between the two windows...
Sounds like you're describing the B-pillar:

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(automobile)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(automobile)[/URL

Last edited by GoinAudiMyMind; 08-18-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
Hi, Thanks for everyone's help on the forum. I have pretty much finalized my car. Was test driving the car for the second time today and noticed that when turning your head to check the blind spot, on the driver's side, there is very limited view to the blind spot.

Took some measurements afterwards and the side panel b/t the windows is a 3-4 inches bigger than my current cars I am used to driving (acura rsx and Nissan Altima). It really limited by blind spot. I really wasn't thinking at all about getting the Driver Assisstance Package, but after driving the car today it felt like it was almost necessary. The car is going to be for my wife and feels very unsafe without it. What are other people's view on this or am I over reacting?

Btw the final car config is going to be:

1. Going for Brilliant Black with Black interior, fine grain ash trim and black headliner.
2. 19" sports package (opted for 19" because of the smoother ride, better handling and safer wheels with less blow outs, not the best looks but going for safety).
3. Full LED lights with Drls (costs a little extra, but when spending $60, worth the 1.4K extra in looks)
4. Driver's assistance package...wasn't thinking of getting it, but after seeing the limited view in the blind spot when turing your head, thought I needed it.

BTW saw these aftermarket wheels that looked much better than stock. Anyone tried them?

http://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-w...Fe1_QgodPGMA4Q
Nice Config

As others have said, just get the side assist which is a $500 option on certain models or may be included in the prestige model

As to the wheels, well the first thing came up when I clicked on the link was a warning from some of my software saying that site has a poor / dangerous reputation. I rarely get that - so I would avoid that site.

I too did not like the look of the OEM 19" wheels so I swapped them for a nice set of Avant Garde wheels which you can see in my sig pic

http://avantgardewheels.com/wheels.php

I would also check out VMR wheels in the same price range

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels.html

both are very reputable brands at a decent price
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
In my experience, with properly adjusted side mirrors, there is no such thing as a blind spot on any car.

I have always adjusted my side mirrors so that an object that leaves the interior edge of a side mirror becomes immediately visible in the rear view.

I have never understood why people would adjust side mirrors so that they can see the side of their own car? I adjust mine to point much wider than that.

I never have to check over a shoulder for any lane changes. EVER. On any car I've ever driven.
+1
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the Audi's Side Assist to be too conservative. It's blinking those lights even when you can safely change lanes. I understand that lawyers rule the world and Audi doesn't want to get sued, but in urban traffic, I'd never be able to switch lanes, if relied purely on Side Assist, so I use it only as a "suggestion". I make my final determination by looking in mirrors and sometimes turning my head.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
I find the Audi's Side Assist to be too conservative. It's blinking those lights even when you can safely change lanes. I understand that lawyers rule the world and Audi doesn't want to get sued, but in urban traffic, I'd never be able to switch lanes, if relied purely on Side Assist, so I use it only as a "suggestion". I make my final determination by looking in mirrors and sometimes turning my head.

Actually I use it in reverse...When I'm changing lanes and it is not blinking I find it reassuring I won't side swipe someone. When it does blink I am normally expecting it to, but then just ignore it if have enough room to switch lanes.

I find the negative feedback even more important than the positive one.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people should use side assist as an aid. No system replaces human judgment and prudence is always the golden rule.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do trust my side assist 100%. I never rubberneck and look over my shoulder anymore. You don't have to.

If you use your turn signals (as you should) when you merge, the side assist will flash very intensely if there's a car in the danger zone.

If it doesn't flash at all, I never look over my shoulder and merge without hesitation.

I'm going on ~3 years with my last 2 Audis with side assist. That's how I use side assist and it's a pleasure to drive with it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

On the A6, the side mirrors are big enough that proper mirror placements should eliminate any blind spots.

However, outward visibility when backing up or parking is not so great with the think piller; small rear view mirror and rear headrests that don't fold down. I found myself using the 360 degree camera view more often since I can't see certain area behind and to the side of the car while backing up or parking. So you may want to consider the technology package since that comes with the 360 degree camera view.

HTH.