Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the blind spot view very limited on Audi's? What is your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the blind spot view very limited on Audi's? What is your opinion

Hi, Thanks for everyone's help on the forum. I have pretty much finalized my car. Was test driving the car for the second time today and noticed that when turning your head to check the blind spot, on the driver's side, there is very limited view to the blind spot.

Took some measurements afterwards and the side panel b/t the windows is a 3-4 inches bigger than my current cars I am used to driving (acura rsx and Nissan Altima). It really limited by blind spot. I really wasn't thinking at all about getting the Driver Assisstance Package, but after driving the car today it felt like it was almost necessary. The car is going to be for my wife and feels very unsafe without it. What are other people's view on this or am I over reacting?

Btw the final car config is going to be:

1. Going for Brilliant Black with Black interior, fine grain ash trim and black headliner.
2. 19" sports package (opted for 19" because of the smoother ride, better handling and safer wheels with less blow outs, not the best looks but going for safety).
3. Full LED lights with Drls (costs a little extra, but when spending $60, worth the 1.4K extra in looks)
4. Driver's assistance package...wasn't thinking of getting it, but after seeing the limited view in the blind spot when turing your head, thought I needed it.

BTW saw these aftermarket wheels that looked much better than stock. Anyone tried them?

http://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-w...Fe1_QgodPGMA4Q
Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW forgot to mention Car I test drove was an Audi A6 Prestige
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only blind spot is an issue, why not to choose just side assist ($500 option) instead of drivers assistant package?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
If only blind spot is an issue, why not to choose just side assist ($500 option) instead of drivers assistant package?
Yup thanks. Seems like I was misinformed. Side assist in already included in Prestige package. I thought it was only part of Driver Assisstance package.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

In my experience, with properly adjusted side mirrors, there is no such thing as a blind spot on any car.

I have always adjusted my side mirrors so that an object that leaves the interior edge of a side mirror becomes immediately visible in the rear view.

I have never understood why people would adjust side mirrors so that they can see the side of their own car? I adjust mine to point much wider than that.

I never have to check over a shoulder for any lane changes. EVER. On any car I've ever driven.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quiet the opposite for me. Having the side assist option and properly adjusted mirrors (see links) blind spots are completely eliminated. Must admit, had to get used to the new set up. However, once I adapted am no longer turning my head at all.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear‐View...te-Blind-Spots

Last edited by GoinAudiMyMind; 08-18-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
In my experience, with properly adjusted side mirrors, there is no such thing as a blind spot on any car.

I have always adjusted my side mirrors so that an object that leaves the interior edge of a side mirror becomes immediately visible in the rear view.

I have never understood why people would adjust side mirrors so that they can see the side of their own car? I adjust mine to point much wider than that.

I never have to check over a shoulder for any lane changes. EVER. On any car I've ever driven.
I agree.
I am puzzled by the OP's comment "Took some measurements afterwards and the side panel b/t the windows is a 3-4 inches bigger than my current cars I am used to driving (acura rsx and Nissan Altima). It really limited by blind spot"
I have no idea what this means in terms of outward vision. It sounds like the car's dimensions which should not affect being able to see what's around and the same time like the blind spot itsef is "limited." Perhaps a diagram would help me to understand the blind spot issue being discussed and thus maybe I could give a better answer.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the side assist on my last 2 Audis.

I could not drive another car without it. It's a brilliant must have feature for me and enables the driver to merge in and out for traffic wit much less hesitation.

It's standard on the 14 prestige and optional on the plus model.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I have side assist and find it very useful. However, IMO nothing takes the place of a few quick eye scans before making any lane change.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I agree.
I am puzzled by the OP's comment "Took some measurements afterwards and the side panel b/t the windows is a 3-4 inches bigger than my current cars I am used to driving (acura rsx and Nissan Altima). It really limited by blind spot"
I have no idea what this means in terms of outward vision. It sounds like the car's dimensions which should not affect being able to see what's around and the same time like the blind spot itsef is "limited." Perhaps a diagram would help me to understand the blind spot issue being discussed and thus maybe I could give a better answer.
I apologize for making it confusing. I have never had or used side assist on any of my cars. My assessment of the blind spot was by turning my head and checking the traffic. Between the driver side window and the driver side back window there is an panel. On the Audi this is about 3 inches wider than my current cars. So what was happening at me, when I turned my head I had no view to the driver side back window because It was blocked by the side paneling between the two windows. I hope that helps.

Good to know side assisst is standard. I thought it was part of the driver assistance package and did not want to dump $2800 for just this feature.

Quick Reply: Is the blind spot view very limited on Audi's? What is your opinion