Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Blind spot detection too good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blind spot detection too good?

Do you folks agree that the lights come on too quick? Sometimes I clearly see the car is behind me in my mirror and that light is flashing at me still. It makes me second guess my decision to make a lane change which can be a danger when you need to make a lane change fast.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Janello
Do you folks agree that the lights come on too quick? Sometimes I clearly see the car is behind me in my mirror and that light is flashing at me still. It makes me second guess my decision to make a lane change which can be a danger when you need to make a lane change fast.
Do you have any idea of the distance that yours starts to operate? If mine comes on then I should not be changing lanes. If I indicate when its on then it will flash, I have no problem with mine.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing - e.g. when on the fwy and a car is coming up on my left or right my light turns on when they're easily 40-50 yds back. I've gotten used to it, and use the SA lights as a "hey, there's someone over there" light, not a "don't change lanes right now" light.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Do you have any idea of the distance that yours starts to operate? If mine comes on then I should not be changing lanes. If I indicate when its on then it will flash, I have no problem with mine.
I agree, the system seems to work really well for me, I have been in a co-worker's hyundai, and her blind spot warning comes on even after another vehicle has passed you by. I know that hyundai isn't a good comparison for an Audi, but comparing one system that is used by both companies is.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took notice today. I was in the fast lane of the highway, passed a car and my light was still on when I could clearly see the nose of that car was at least 2 (probably closer to 3) full car lengths off my rear bumper. I think it should shut off so long as you can see said car in mirror.

Last edited by Janello; 10-12-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Janello
I think it should shut off so long as you can see said car in mirror.
Adjust your mirrors. Lol. All kidding aside, I have no issues with the sensitivity of the blind spot indicators.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do find the blind spot detection is a tad conservative, coming on when there is still plenty of room to change lanes.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Changing lanes to the left should not be solely a function of distance. If the car coming up on your outside is doing 50MPH more than you are then the difference in speed needs to be considered as well. Our systems only operate on distance, the other relevant parameter needs to be provider by the driver so that a determination of a valid warning may be made.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Changing lanes to the left should not be solely a function of distance. If the car coming up on your outside is doing 50MPH more than you are then the difference in speed needs to be considered as well. Our systems only operate on distance, the other relevant parameter needs to be provider by the driver so that a determination of a valid warning may be made.
This kinda goes without saying, Unless you've only been driving for a week. :-)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Our systems only operate on distance
Actually I was under the impression that it did include relative velocity in the calculation, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Quick Reply: Blind spot detection too good?