Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Black headliner (and all the hype)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacier6
This is the part that gets me....the way the grey pillars move down into the dash and sides has no design thought whatsoever. The black stops and the grey starts and overall, it just does not work or flow.
I gotta say, the black headliner is simply stunning with an all black interior.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the part that gets me....the way the grey pillars move down into the dash and sides has no design thought whatsoever. The black stops and the grey starts and overall, it just does not work or flow.
Like many things, it bothers me when I think about it, especially after someone points it out on the internet. But when I'm driving my car, I'm usually focused on the view forward rather than the side.

If we want to nitpick about the interior design, we should start with the dash. There are at least 6 different materials/textures/colors going on and countless lines that don't blend well, IMO.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got the daytona gray, same as OP, but with the black leather and headliner. I insisted on the black headliner after seeing both interior combos in the dealer. The reason why I like the black/black combo is that it effectively makes the pillars and roof disappear. The other dash elements seem to float in a serene sea of nothing, a gorgeous curvature of natural ash and aluminum cocoons you from driver left elbow to passenger right elbow. That curvature line is greatly emphasized with the black/black combo.

I also like the black because it marginally improves the view out the front and sides, perceptually speaking it helps keep the focus on what is happening outside rather than inside the car.

Last edited by vizwiz; 09-16-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is one of the reasons I ordered my A6 (WHEN the heck will it be here????) with the black headliner. With the silver tan even with a casual look from outside all you see are the light pillars standing out like sore thumbs.

Too dark and closed in? Not in my opinion. My BMW 3 series vert has a black interior with a black headliner. Love it
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the black headliner looks best in black and nougat interiors. I don't find it makes the cabin to dark. Tinted windows and sunscreens make it dark. However I went for the cockpit feel and I got it. I for one didn't want too many colors clashing inside.

Last edited by NVThs1; 09-18-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
I think the black headliner looks best in black and nugget interiors. I don't find it makes the cabin to dark. Tinted windows and sunscreens make it dark. However I went for the cockpit feel and I got it. I for one didn't want too many colors clashing inside.
Thanks - that is exactly what we bought - Black & Nougat with black headliner.
Moonlight blue.

The best news is my dealer called and the car is in - picking it up in the morning
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
I think the black headliner looks best in black and nugget interiors. .
Is that gold nugget or chicken nugget?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever had a headliner wrapped? I want to change mine to black and considering getting a quote to wrap in black - either standard or alcantara.
I though about replacing the pillars in black from Audi but they're not cheap. It's prob cheaper to wrap them.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Anyone ever had a headliner wrapped? I want to change mine to black and considering getting a quote to wrap in black - either standard or alcantara.
I though about replacing the pillars in black from Audi but they're not cheap. It's prob cheaper to wrap them.
Do you have a ballpark estimate on how much replacing the pillars would be?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Is that gold nugget or chicken nugget?
Nice catch. I didn't even realize I busted out the kids dictionary on that one. However it is gold nugget as it costs one to buy one of these. Haha. I blame it on a long beach vacation. Too much sand in the brain.

Quick Reply: Black headliner (and all the hype)