Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi navigation: worst in industry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
I feel your pain but it gets better with time. The more I used the Nav the better it got. It's even surprised me a few times when using the online destinations. I do have another complaint about the Nav system, the routing engine. By far one of the worst I've ever used. Not that it's horrible but by comparison it could use some improvement. I don't expect it to be as good as my iPhones Nav but at least as good as a $80 Tom Tom, Garmin or Magellan. Far to often it directs me to do to out of my way to get to my destination or have me do a crazy maneuver or worst have me driving down the back streets right next to a perfectly good freeway. Just my $0.02
Agree. The algorithm that MMI uses to calculate the fastest route leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely needs some improvement on this part. The good news is that it can be improved (and s/b improved) as this is a software issue.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Just picked up an A6 tonight and brought back a 2010 A5 I had on lease. I thought the 2010 version was horrible but this is almost as bad

Using voice command I entered very simple addresses. Here are a couple of examples: 1815 Hilltop drive, elgin IL or 5043 Fletcher street Chicago IL. They return addresses in different cities in different state. Once I got Collinsville IL. On other addresses the system said the address could not be found

What's worse is I can't even get my home address to register. The closest I can get is somewhere down the street. All addresses tried have been there for between 25 and 100 years, so this is not new construction.

Of the 5 entered only 1 worked
You have the car less than 24 hours and declare this a failure, even for the vast majority where it works 95% of the time?

Maybe you are doing something wrong.

Just speak in normal voice,speak each digit of the numbers, one zero zero, not one hundred, and speak the whole address, number street city state.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
The navi in the Audi isn't even close to being the worst in the industry. Try using a nav in the Lexus RX. It's a joke. The Audi nav works fine.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Guys, this just isnt voice navigation it's also a 25% success rate on entering through the interface

My favorite was tonight. Wife and I went to a local restaurant. They have 3 locations. Sitting in the parking lot of one. Do a search under that name and it shows the other 2 but not the one where we are at.

Could the issue be Google maps via Audi Connect? Would the non-Audi connect method work differently?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could the issue be Google maps via Audi Connect? Would the non-Audi connect method work differently?
Thats strange. I use google earth exclusively. I don't even bother with the onboard POI's as I'm pretty sure the database is stale as with most non-updated navigation systems. I love it. Specifically the fact that it gives you additional information as well as pictures. The one improvement I would make is to be able to directly select and dial the number onscreen. The only issue ive had with google earth is that it can be ambiguous at times. Example: I wanted to return some clothes i bought from the Gap on the internet. I used the online destination to go to "Gap Clothing stores" It found a few and i navigated to the nearest one. It ended up being an Old Navy store. For those that are not in the know: Old Navy is to Gap, what Toyota is to Lexus.

Ultimately no one system can always get it right but the nav system in the Audi with google earth has to be one of the best in the industry, simply because it pulls information from the internet and not a 2-3 yr old database stored in the car.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
Thats strange. I use google earth exclusively. I don't even bother with the onboard POI's as I'm pretty sure the database is stale as with most non-updated navigation systems. I love it. Specifically the fact that it gives you additional information as well as pictures. The one improvement I would make is to be able to directly select and dial the number onscreen. The only issue ive had with google earth is that it can be ambiguous at times. Example: I wanted to return some clothes i bought from the Gap on the internet. I used the online destination to go to "Gap Clothing stores" It found a few and i navigated to the nearest one. It ended up being an Old Navy store. For those that are not in the know: Old Navy is to Gap, what Toyota is to Lexus.

Ultimately no one system can always get it right but the nav system in the Audi with google earth has to be one of the best in the industry, simply because it pulls information from the internet and not a 2-3 yr old database stored in the car.
Again, a Nuvi is over 90% accurate for me while Audi is 25-30%.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again, a Nuvi is over 90% accurate for me while Audi is 25-30%.
Just a thought, could the microphone be the culprit? As many have stated, and also my experience (with English as my 2nd language), Audi's voice guidance is working very well for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dukeland
Just a thought, could the microphone be the culprit? As many have stated, and also my experience (with English as my 2nd language), Audi's voice guidance is working very well for me.
The system repeats your command so if it's identical to what you said then it can't be the microphone
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The system repeats your command so if it's identical to what you said then it can't be the microphone
Sorry, I'm confused. If it's repeating back exactly what you said and it's a valid address, what's the issue?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Sorry, I'm confused. If it's repeating back exactly what you said and it's a valid address, what's the issue?
It repeats back the command excatly on the 20% of the locations it can find. That proves the mic is working. I'm concerned that it cant find 80% of my requests whether is via voice or manual input.

Guys, I'm not looking for some reason to whine. I just wants this thing to work close to it's intended purpose. It would be outrageous if I had to buy a Nuvi to navigate locations.

As I said, it wasn't just me that couldnt get these locations to register, it was the dealer salespeople who trains new customers every day

Quick Reply: Audi navigation: worst in industry?