Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Connect vs Tru vs ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect vs Tru vs ??

Hello All. I decided to leave the gang in the Q5 forum and join all the cool kids here. Just picked up my 2013 P+ A6 last night. Missing the ride height of my Q a bit, but love the quietness and smoothness of the car.
So the question I'm facing (and I have 6 days left to figure it out) is whether or not to drop another $450 for the Pre-pay deal for Audi connect. It seems like there's one in depth forum here that has carried on for about a year ( with great info - thanks). But I'm hoping for a bit more clarity.

So if I may ask the opinion of those who care to share:
1. For those of you that elected to have the Audi Conmect lapse after the 6 mo trial period - do you miss it?
2. For those of you that are using the Tru option - are you still happy with it? How many others have converted!
3. For those on AT&T - same question - still happy? No issues? (AT&T is my current carrier).

I'm a bit concerned that I won't get Tru to work and I'll overload my frustration meter.

Thanks for your time and opinion!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Check out the post about ptel.com, might be an option for you. I'm using a $10 AT&T shared data SIM for 2 months now and I'm still happy. Google Earth works resonably fast (sometimes better than with t-mobile due to network coverage), everything else (except WiFi hotspot of course) just works.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let connect lapse after the trial period to see if it would be missed. Funny thing was that I really missed the google maps and the online searches for navigation. Wound up resigning with T mobile for 2 years for a fair rate.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's easy to use the Tru SIM card. You'll be able to do it.

I am very happy with it. Hardly use any data.

So go with the free six months then get a third party card. The reason they are offering the extension is hardly anyone signed up for $30/month on Tmobile Even $15 is too high in my opinion,to commit for 3years, As you'll likely want traffic(Sirius) if you live in a city so that is another subscription.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audifiend
As you'll likely want traffic(Sirius) if you live in a city so that is another subscription.
Sirius traffic, at least, is included with all 2013 models for something like 4 years.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Check out the post about ptel.com, might be an option for you. I'm using a $10 AT&T shared data SIM for 2 months now and I'm still happy. Google Earth works resonably fast (sometimes better than with t-mobile due to network coverage), everything else (except WiFi hotspot of course) just works.
Why don't you have wifi? I'm pretty sure it works with my tru sim
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Thanks - I was fiddling on the ATT Website and see that I can get a SIM for 6 bucks and if I read this right, I can get an individual 250MB plan for Tablets for $14.99.

To whomever posted about how easy Tru is - THANK YOU. I do all this reading and I see how username/passwords/etc become an issue and I'm afraid that'll be me. But if so, THANK GOODNESS for AudiWorld.

Ptel - i just logged onto their website. If I read this right, 20 bucks will get you 200 MB that's good for 90 days. Or $100 dollars will get me 1 GB that's good for a year (and then there's everything in between). That sounds like an interesting option as well...

Everyone - thank you for the replies. I appreciate the time you took to do so. I'm going with a big fat NEIN to T-Mobile's "deal" and will roll the dice in six months with Ptel or tru.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Why don't you have wifi? I'm pretty sure it works with my tru sim
I do have WiFi, it's just very, very slow on 2G. I'm now using a LTE MiFi like setup which is much faster than 3G t-mobile (in Chicagoland at least).
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nyuni
Sirius traffic, at least, is included with all 2013 models for something like 4 years.
Is there an online source for this? I never heard if this and my trial Sirius sub ends in 2 weeks.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default News Release

Originally Posted by fender4645
Is there an online source for this? I never heard if this and my trial Sirius sub ends in 2 weeks.
This was released awhile ago, but does have the information you asked about.

http://www.audiusanews.com/newsrelea...&id=2920&mid=1

Quick Reply: Audi Connect vs Tru vs ??