Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi at CES - Put your money where your mouth is!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi at CES - Put your money where your mouth is!

On the front page of this very website is the official "Audi Media" summary from CES and Audi of America detailing current and future Audi technology with a HEAVY slant on Audi Connect. I love my C7, the new MMI and Audi Connect. However, there are MANY potential features available now that are NOT available to us despite what this article says.

My biggest complaints are all detailed in this article - and they are touting them! I have quoted them below with comments.

<b>IF ANYONE IN THE KNOW AT AUDI READS THIS AND CAN EXPLAIN THE DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN WHAT IS CLAIMED IN THIS OFFICIAL RELEASE AND WHAT WE ARE ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING AS OWNERS - PLEASE RESPOND OR CONTACT ME DIRECTLY.</b>

theffern@gmail.com

"For the driver, Audi has developed customized Audi connect services - such as navigation with Google Earth images, Audi online traffic information, the POI search by voice control and Google Street View."

Where is MY street view? Is this an upgrade? When can I get it? This is false advertising!

"All the driver needs to do to go online is insert a data-capable SIM card in the card reader. As an alternative, the driver can connect a cell phone to the system via Bluetooth, provided that it is equipped with the necessary SIM Access Profile."

I hate the SIM. I have seen no examples of people in America being able to utilize data connection using SIM Access Profile (SAP). I know I can get data through my existing data plan and phone, but this feature is not available in America.

"An especially attractive service is Audi online traffic information. This service displays current traffic flow data on the navigation map. If the route chosen by the driver has free-flowing traffic, it is shown in green; yellow indicates dense or slow-moving traffic, and red signifies a traffic jam. In this case, Audi online traffic information identifies the traffic problem in a text and suggests an alternative route that does not lead right to another traffic jam.

The Audi system is faster, more precise and more intelligent than conventional TMC and TMC pro solutions, and it also covers cities and country roads. The primary source of data for the database is from hundreds of thousands of smartphones and navigation devices that are carried in vehicles and report their current positions at short time intervals to service providers over the cell phone network. A detailed picture of the traffic load situation is derived from the data provided. Audi online traffic information has been launched in Central Europe, France, the UK and Italy; additional countries will follow in quick succession."

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!!??? There is a better system than TMC, and I wouldn't have to pay Sirius an extra $5 a month to use it? This is Audi of America in the US at the CES. Why is this feature not available to us?

"For the near future, Audi is relying on the fourth generation, or 4G, standard that is referred to as LTE (Long Term Evolution). The new network is being set up, and it enables data rates of 150 MBit/s and considerably faster response times."

Does that mean I will be able to upgrade the module in my current car to take advantage of LTE? You can't tell me that I bought a car in 2011 and the next year, it has an obsolete data module. This has to be upgradable. And if it it, why can't I CHOOSE to have a module that is compatible with someone OTHER than T-Mobile?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, it doesn't matter what it is, cellphone, computer, TV, car, somebody has to bitch about it.

You buy the friggin car with what it has; it you want to wait for whatever your idea of nirvana is, have at it but I'd just as soon not have to sit through the whine. Unless you supply a good quality cheese anyway.

I think Audi should have been more upfront with the differences between EU, NA and Canada builds, but innovation and subsequent upgrades are a fact of life, and they're going to get worse because we all want nerd stuff on cars. Either get on the bandwagon or buy a Yugo.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Stay tuned for a class action lawsuit...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

If automakers would just put in an iPad slot in lieu of their Entertainment/Navigation System, all this would be moot.

Just add a couple of apps for monitoring/changing your car, and you would also have an awesome supplementary instrument cluster or VAGCOM like device at the same time.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xradman
If automakers would just put in an iPad slot in lieu of their Entertainment/Navigation System, all this would be moot.
I believe that was tried. The problem was with the credit card slot that Apple mandated to run the iPad. Once the card was placed in the slot it was never returned and a number of Audi test engineers had to go on welfare because of the charges.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I think Audi should have been more upfront with the differences between EU, NA and Canada builds, but innovation and subsequent upgrades are a fact of life
I fully agree that Audi should have been more upfront. As I posted in another thread, the car features SHOULD work without needing to pay for Sirius or a TMO data plan. The electronics are all there, but just disabled for US consumers. That's just not right as it eliminates my freedom of choice. If Audi had simply stated that the car has all these features, but as a US buyer they do not work, then I wouldn't be as upset.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Red,

While I agree with your overall opinion, lighten up a bit!!!

Audi didn't explain the differences in activated features for different markets, and it took a lot of forum posts from a bunch of dedicated owners to figure these things out. I had resigned myself to the fact that in America, I couldn't get these cool extras.

But when I read that article, it just got me angry! Audi is touting the very things that we wanted and didn't get, as if they are available. Not being upfront and blatantly misrepresenting the truth are two different animals.

I'm not interesting in suing. I would like to know if these options are available for upgrading my car.

There is a fundamental difference for me:

Buy a $2000 computer, it becomes outdated in 6 months with newer and faster computers. However, you can upgrade that computer when you need to.

Buy a $60,000 car, that is the first year of an update (C7), and it shouldn't become outdated in 6 months! If so, I would expect a $60k vehicle to be upgradable. It's not really a throwaway investment like an iPad or laptop!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Red,
There is a fundamental difference for me:
Buy a $2000 computer, it becomes outdated in 6 months with newer and faster computers. However, you can upgrade that computer when you need to.
Buy a $60,000 car, that is the first year of an update (C7), and it shouldn't become outdated in 6 months! If so, I would expect a $60k vehicle to be upgradable. It's not really a throwaway investment like an iPad or laptop!
But, what you are saying you aren't getting, is pretty much a computer, or technology anyway.

The vehicle won't be outdated in six months but I would fully expect some of the technology to be. Hell, some already is if you read some of the hype other manufacturer's are putting out.

We can hope that Audi built enough flexibility in the system to allow firmware, and possibly hardware, upgrades as the system matures but I do not see that as Audi's requirement to me. I bought the car as it was, same as my smartphone or TV. What happens after that I really have no control over other than as a repeat customer. As they have continued to support older models with upgrades I would see no reason why they would abandon that or not plan for it.

Bottom line, lots of folks are getting all cranked up over something we know very little about at this time.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joesky
the car features SHOULD work without needing to pay for Sirius or a TMO data plan.
Sorry, I totally disagree. I knew before I bought the car that there would be ongoing costs to maintain the technology. That was very plainly documented. No one else pays for your Sirius/XM radio or nav system upgrades or cellphone data plan. Or Onstar for that matter. If I want that stuff I pay for it, plain and simple.

I fail to see the difference between that and what Audi has offered.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Sorry, I totally disagree. I knew before I bought the car that there would be ongoing costs to maintain the technology. That was very plainly documented. No one else pays for your Sirius/XM radio or nav system upgrades or cellphone data plan. Or Onstar for that matter. If I want that stuff I pay for it, plain and simple.

I fail to see the difference between that and what Audi has offered.
I totally agree with you except for one caveat. I am totally annoyed with the fact that Sirius traffic controls the map overlay. I love my Sirius, but I don't love paying $5 a month for traffic.

That, and T-mobile's 3G coverage area is pathetic.

Quick Reply: Audi at CES - Put your money where your mouth is!