Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Article: New iPhone 5 may come with incompatible connector for cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Article: New iPhone 5 may come with incompatible connector for cars

Since we are all talking often about using the Red cable to get album art and video, I thought this might be of interest to everyone here.

I am really hoping that the cable Audi makes for this has the Red cable features. (I also wish they didn't make us use a proprietary connector cable)

Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/26/n...ctor-for-cars/
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Along with the rumor of a new connector is the rumor that Apple will have a simple adapter available allowing legacy operation.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

legacy operation??

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Along with the rumor of a new connector is the rumor that Apple will have a simple adapter available allowing legacy operation.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by donb4325
legacy operation??
Legacy, in this case, means new devices (i.e. iPhone 5) will work with older accessories including those with the original connector - AMI cables, portable speakers, docks, booster batteries, etc.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm in this industry, and I can tell you that this is very unlikely. There is an entire ecosystem of accessory manufacturers that would lose their **** if Apple did this. I'm not even sure that it would be technically possible, as there is likely some additional functionality (e.g. higher charge voltage, data rate, etc) that would come along with the new connector/cable.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiantEli
I'm in this industry, and I can tell you that this is very unlikely. There is an entire ecosystem of accessory manufacturers that would lose their **** if Apple did this. I'm not even sure that it would be technically possible, as there is likely some additional functionality (e.g. higher charge voltage, data rate, etc) that would come along with the new connector/cable.
Actually, if Apple does indeed come up with a new iPhone / iPod connector, it will likely be for space design reasons and not additional functionality per se, as it will still have to connect to standard USB ports in computers. So, a simple adapter for "legacy" connectivity is, IMHO, a must and totally expected. Although I am not really sure this new connector will actually happen.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantEli
They would, but Apple has historically shown no regard for what others think. If they want a new direction in the past, they have gone there.

But as others have posted, they might offer an adapter
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billmac
Actually, if Apple does indeed come up with a new iPhone / iPod connector, it will likely be for space design reasons and not additional functionality per se, as it will still have to connect to standard USB ports in computers. So, a simple adapter for "legacy" connectivity is, IMHO, a must and totally expected. Although I am not really sure this new connector will actually happen.
If the new connector happens, the adapter absolutely will happen as well. The only question is if the adapter is included with every iPhone 5 or an accessory you order.

The only issue I see is that with the (purported) additional length of the iPhone 5 plus the extra inch or so needed for the adapter, you may be space constrained in some armrests depending on how snug the fit is. But then there is always bluetooth streaming.

Anyways, this is definitely a third world problem if I've ever seen one.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default There's Hope

Saw this yesterday: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...t/?tag=nl.e798