Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Apple offered the LTE upgrade for $199 (through a carrier) to $649 (contract free). Well, you got a free phone as part of the upgrade fee but I would be willing to spend $649 for an carrier independent LTE upgrade for my Audi. And Apple (and several other handset manufacturers) also shows that it not impossible to build a device that works on almost any network (any in the US that's for sure). Will Audi offer such an upgrade? Likely not because the modem module is integrated into the MMI head unit.

Even Lightning has digital video out, so Apple is not preventing this. All they do is stopping support for ancient technology and analog video is apparently ancient. If the AMI would support digital video then there would be an option to mirror the screen.

In regards to CarPlay, it is not perfect either. CarPlay is limited to a few applications that Apple deemed road safe and it only does what Apple designed it to do. It's not a big difference between being locked into the Audi way of doing stuff or the Apple way of doing stuff. What I would rather like to see is a Apple TV sized black box that connects to the AMI and allows screen mirroring or just showing content (via USB or WiFi) on the MMI. Oh, and a multi-purpose button on the steering wheel that activates voice control on the phone. No more paid map updates, no more navigation bugs, no more separate wireless plans.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=AudiA4B6US;24550142] Will Audi offer such an upgrade? Likely not because the modem module is integrated into the MMI head unit.

Probably not an upgrade but the question is do they need too? To update Google Maps/Audi Connect does not require an upgrade to 4G. The services they provide can be done adequately with Edge/2G. Before you say maps cant be loaded my converted unit works only at 2G now. As much as I would like 3G; it works fine with 2G. Yes its much slower but works fine. Again, my major point is what exactly in terms of functions are you getting? Siri? Google Maps vs Apple Maps?? A screen that wasnt designed for the MMI interface and quadrants. I think Audi has done great with this 2011-Present iteration of MMI High and telematics.

Even Lightning has digital video out, so Apple is not preventing this. All they do is stopping support for ancient technology and analog video is apparently ancient. If the AMI would support digital video then there would be an option to mirror the screen.

True. The Lightning Connector has DV/O but the ADAPTERS that Apple licenses and sells do not currently have DV/O and I blame Apple for this. The Audi captures the media from the iPhones and those with older (better) iPods and iPhones can send video to the headunit too.
What it doesnt have is the ability to do RSAP which is I now own an Andriod like most Europeans. I miss iTunes Media on my phone but I just connect to AMI with an iPod now.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, "blame" could be shared by both companies. When Apple introduced the Lightning connector, they did away with analog output for digital only but, at the same time, Audi's current AMI, unlike SD cards, is not equipped to process digital signals (except the MMI "iPod" control and album art data). The adapters that Apple released did not include a video digital to analog converter so they cannot pass video (they do have an audio DAC). Audi recently released a new Lightning/AMI cable that does have both video and audio DACs so will pass analog video to the MMI. This cable was reported to be available in Europe in Feb and should be available in NA soon if not already.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1523&styleid=6