Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try not to take sides as I own Android and Apple devices, but will say I I think Audi by incorporating Google Maps and google search via Audi Connect was actual forward thinking since they made that decision in the development years ago when Apple clearly did not have a decent mapping platform, so why would Audi switch at this point? Remember up until IOS 6 Apple relied on Google for mapping. Sure this is more than mapping, but again Audi already has a lead by partnering with Google for part of the MMI already.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Again, this thread isn't about which os is best, which has more share or being all things to all people. It's about Audi recognizing that there are adherents to both iOS and Android, together representing over 90% of the market, and that they should not abandon either one, in this case as it seems to stand now, CarPlay. Someone who has, for whatever reasons, invested their ecosystem in one or the other and is happy with their choice, may very well take that into consideration with their next car if it doesn't support it. If Audi decides to ignore a half billion and growing iOS users, they will proactively place an obstacle for those vested owners considering the brand - it's marketing 101.

First, put me in the camp of those who buy a car because of the automotive features, not whether it connects to my smartphone.

Second, I think you will find most people in that camp - especially since there will always be some level of base connectivity no matter what you use. Very few buyers will make a decision on a vehicle purchase based on how much of their cell phone functionality they can connect and use

Third, Carplay requires additional equipment installed in the vehicle - there is a cost to install that. And I wouldn't doubt Apple also has a licensing fee. So are you advocating these costs be passed on to everyone? Or are you advocating Audi offer this as an option to those who can't live without it?

Look at this for what it is:

From Apple's standpoint it is Apple's attempt to try and control the car market and make it harder for its userbase to switch

From Audi's standpoint cellphone connectivity is just one minor (I would argue immaterial for 98% of the population) aspect of a car buying decision. And Audi previously made a decision to start down a path with Google
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anyone know for sure what extra "equipment" would be required for CarPlay? Would it be any more than the AMI setup now? Do we know what licensing fees are associated with CarPlay? Google maps? The upcoming Android integration? How about that current Sirius radio that more than a few seem to dislike or be willing to pay for. And then there's the grand daddy of included hardware and software, Audi Connect. I'd bet they all have some level of cost to the car manufacturer whether or not every owner will use them. If nothing else, Audi could provide a choice of OS interface as they do now on a myriad of other options. Otherwise, just offer an A6 with only one engine and one set of features and call it a day.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
No, it isn't important to me, I buy a car as an automobile, not a sound studio or mobile office. I am also neither a purist, brand snob or otherwise. Well, mostly anyways. I would personalily see much more sense in changing phones rather than the opposite.

Your explanation was excellent BTW and your decision does make more sense now. Still don't agree with you though, a phone is fairly unimportant to me, as is an ultra-high performance sound system in a car.

I also don't like Apple, but that's a different issue and goes back to the early 80s.

My Outback's Harmon Kardon has Apple built in, in case you wanted to trade off your Audi
I tried to buy an Outback but my wife wanted a larger SUV -- she wanted a moose. SO not so fast. I love my A6 and you won't get it from me so easily. It's an incredible balancing act of performance, luxury, economy, safety, durability, handling, and may I say beauty. My comments applied to an SUV which is my next car choice. I still don't see a lot of difference between SUVs given all the compromises that their design requires. But again, that's a matter of personal preferences too. Judging by the number of them on the road I am in a minority on this point.

I still think, as others have noted, Audi is making a mistake by not embracing both systems. Here in the USA their customers are far more likely to have an iPhone in their hands and to many buyers this will matter. My own guess is that we will see universal interfaces in less than 2-3 years. Which phone we own shouldn't matter. The stereo is another issue. Bose stinks or is sometimes passable, depending on the model, but it doesn't belong in a car in this price range. Some of us do care about that, others don't. I will concede that anyone who listens to compressed MP3s on an iPod could probably care less about the stereo and that's the majority of buyers so Audi gets away with installing a cheap stereo in an otherwise great car. I am in the minority here and i know it.

Ah-ha! You don't like apple. You are not alone by any means and I actually agree a phone is usually not a good reason to choose a car. But this is a lot more than a phone, it's a software hardware ecosystem and a philosophy of software user interface that distinguishes Android and Apple. Both have loyal adherents, and as I said, I like the Google features Audi has installed. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. We stand at the edge of great change in what we think of as the automobile experience. I don't think any of us knows where it's really going or what company or companies will end up being the winners or the losers. Actually I'd love to see a start-up win the battle but I doubt that will happen.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just couldnt sit out this thread although I tried.
Here is the skinny as someone already pointed out. Google integration. Audi has the best google integration of any car manufacturer so it went all in with google and based upon the technological advances Audi has been putting in their cars it is the right choice.
And for my American friends; we just ain't that important. IPhone is a status symbol in the US but not in Europe and China where Audi sells more cars by volume. Andriods are not considered cheap or down market in Europe. So while the 70 percent of smart phones use Android worldwide I would estimate the percentage of users outside the US using android is higher than 70 percent. A lot higher.

But the real key to it is "open source" and RSAP.
Open source allows Audi to design a flexible system but also control the updates. Audi is very territorial about its head unit software as most of us requiring updates know.
RSAP. The world knows it; the US doesn't. Its the protocol that comes native on the majority of android devices that allows you to pair your phones SIM through Bluetooth without a data contract. In the ROW audiconnect users don't have to go through the hassle that Americans do the get data to their head unit. Apple doesn't support rsap. They support getting into your car and charging u to connect to the internet. Say hi to your new T-Mobile or data provider. Its coming to a car near u.
The car companies that are early adopters to carplay are desperate for US sales; aka BMW so they adopt US boutique phone carrier. If the iPhone was a bigger player in China or Europe Audi might have cared more. Finally since Audi is part of the VWAG expect slow apple adoption in porche, vw, lambos, seat, scooda etc...

Last edited by lmbatts; 03-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Apple carPlay and Google integration are not mutually exclusive. Just off the top of my head of the companies listed doing carPlay, GM, Honda and Hyundai have all agreed to Google integration as well. So they both will be available either as an option or both in the same unit. I would like in the same unit since I have a Galaxy and my wife had an iPhone. My car should adapt to me. There is no reason for fragmentation of car systems in this regard.

In fact what I really want is my phone to take over when it's in the car. Let my phone literally feed all apps, all contacts, all information and do it in a way that I use everyday all day, using the internet I've already paid for. I am more used to Google voice control than anything. Therefore it should be the voice control and not the wasted time a few Audi engineers came up their own voice system.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I would just be happy if Audi added AirPlay to their WiFi system for better quality music streaming wirelessly.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every demo of CarPlay that I've seen involves a touch screen.
Audi does not have a touch enabled MMI or plans for one, that I'm aware of anyway.

Wondering if the touch portion is a pre-requisite for CarPlay ?

ps- My Apple TV would work miles better if Audi Connect was LTE....
Name:  IMG_0198_zps1ab00bc4.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  100.0 KB
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Does anyone know for sure what extra "equipment" would be required for CarPlay? Would it be any more than the AMI setup now? Do we know what licensing fees are associated with CarPlay? Google maps? The upcoming Android integration? How about that current Sirius radio that more than a few seem to dislike or be willing to pay for. And then there's the grand daddy of included hardware and software, Audi Connect. I'd bet they all have some level of cost to the car manufacturer whether or not every owner will use them. If nothing else, Audi could provide a choice of OS interface as they do now on a myriad of other options. Otherwise, just offer an A6 with only one engine and one set of features and call it a day.
So you want it rolled into the cost for everyone. Hmmmm.
I think you will be disappointed. From what I have read, when Airplay comes out on a very small number of vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes Benz and Volvo, it will be offered as an option. Which IMO is how it should be. if you want it, you pay for it.

Oh, and CarPlay requires special, bespoke equipment supporting Apple’s iPhone to be fitted into cars, which means that car manufacturers will have to build it in at the factory. And it is not compatible with anything less than an iphone 5. So just one more way for Apple to suck you dry into upgrading each year
Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Every demo of CarPlay that I've seen involves a touch screen.
Audi does not have a touch enabled MMI or plans for one, that I'm aware of anyway.

Wondering if the touch portion is a pre-requisite for CarPlay ?
My understanding is that CarPlay will be focused on Siri voice control much like current iDevices allowing for mostly hands-free operation.

Quick Reply: Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi