Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyone notice their coolant level low?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone notice their coolant level low?

Coming from a B8 S4 with the 3.0T engine, there was a low coolant problem resulting from a water pump issue but that wss supposedly fixed with a recall to replace the water pump (and thermastat).

I recently noticed on my new A6 (2.5 months of driving 4800 km)that the coolant level was a minimum. I didn't check what the level was upon delivery but I assume it would be at the mid or max mark. The dealership will look into this when my regular service hits 8,000 km (unless it goes below that level) but just wondered whether others have noticed the coolant level low.

Hopefully, this is just an anomaly.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carbuff_2
I didn't check what the level was upon delivery but I assume it would be at the mid or max mark.
If you checked it cold you wouldn't want it at max. Depending on how big the expansion bottle is, you might be better off at min. That should have been a pre-delivery checkoff but may have been called good enough or overlooked.

Now I need to check mine though
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I was showing off my engine to someone I noticed my coolant was mid way between min and max. This is an expansion tank. No worries unless less than min.

As a sidebar, there is not much to see in the engine compartment, really, but the 6 red (coilpacks?) are kind of cool.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the supercharger pulley
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's possible to get pinholes in the intercooler radiator from road debris, which would show up as a slow leak. See this thread on the B8 S4 forum for a DIY radiator screen:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...IY+intercooler

It's also possible the C7 A6 now has a screen installed from the factory. Not sure.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your replies and the link to the other thread. I will check with the dealer when I bring the car in if it has the extra screen protection or how much to install since I am not a DIY person.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

sorry for bringing up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one and I noticed today that my coolant is barely at or below minimum and wanted to see if any of you guys noticed it

can it just evaporate due to hard driving in hot weather?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW - on my 2010 A6 3.0T Q I had the radiator recall. After they did the recall the coolant was at MIN and I went back to the dealer. They told me they usually only fill that high to prevent pressure (?) issues, but they filled it midway between MIN and MAX anyway and over a year later it is fine, still slightly over MIN.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
FWIW - on my 2010 A6 3.0T Q I had the radiator recall. After they did the recall the coolant was at MIN and I went back to the dealer. They told me they usually only fill that high to prevent pressure (?) issues, but they filled it midway between MIN and MAX anyway and over a year later it is fine, still slightly over MIN.
I just swung by the dealer this morning and they topped off the the coolant reservoir with distilled water and when I asked why distilled and not coolant they said they check the fluid every service and if it needs changing they do it as a part of the free service

I think they don't know what they are talking about cause the people who designed the car surly had the pressure in mind when they marked the min and max lines
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed the same & added coolant as it gets pretty cold here & can not add just add distilled water. I also asked dealer to check for any leakage signs around water pump/radiator as I can not see anything or anything underneath car, none observed by dealer. I believe mine was at minimum when I got it, now I added coolant level it did not change. If they checked & no signs of leakage then could be like that when delivered.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice their coolant level low?