Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Amp and Subwoofer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
subterFuse gave you some good advice. I would simply add the following:

1. If you have not yet bought the A6 - why are you considering the Bose system.
On the Prestige line they only offer Bose or B&O.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
After doing a ton of research here before ordering the car and while it was on order, I decided the best approach to upgrading the audio was to get the base audio system and upgrade it once I had the car. This proved to be the right decision for me as I think the final result sounds way better than the base system as well as the Bose and B&O systems - at a cost far far less than the B&O option. As I learned, the base speakers are actually pretty good (other than the factory installed sub) - they are just severely underpowered. probably because Audi doesn't want people overdoing things and blowing out the speakers resulting in warranty claims

I followed Sgroer's recommendation of the DLS OA10D Subwoofer. rather than do the install myself, because I wanted to take it further than the just the subwoofer, I worked with Chris at Innovative AutoWorks near Pittsburgh

http://iawpgh.com/

Chris was great to work with and he had a lot of different suggestions / options. In the end, I went for the:

JL XD 600/6 amp

Audio Control LCQ-1 OEM integration, six channel signal processor and equalizer

DLS OA10D Subwoofer

Dynamatted rear deck

The results sound spectacular. Great sound stage and separation, bas when I want it, improved clarity, etc. /

A few pics:

JL Amp and LCQ-1

You are from Pittsburgh? If you are it is a small world. I spent more than a few years in Pittsburgh going to school there. Nice calm small city. Really enjoyed the football games. Would love to move my family there in the distant future. I miss the primanti's sandwiches! Go steelers.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
You are from Pittsburgh? If you are it is a small world. I spent more than a few years in Pittsburgh going to school there. Nice calm small city. Really enjoyed the football games. Would love to move my family there in the distant future. I miss the primanti's sandwiches! Go steelers.
Yes, from Pittsburgh. I love it here. Have had a chance in a previous job to travel to many different cities, but really found no place that I liked better. Nice city with a small town feel, great sports teams, etc. And yes, Primanti's is always good
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
On the Prestige line they only offer Bose or B&O.
I have included below an e-mail that I sent to a local car audio shop based on your input and other threads that I have read both on AW and other sites. Hopefully I'm not too far off-base Main thing is I wanted you to know I appreciate your help and am attempting to put it to good use.

-------------------------------------------------------
As I stated over the phone, I plan to purchase an Audi A6 (2013 or 2014). They have 3 trim levels and I am considering 2 of them : “Premium Plus”, and “Prestige”…Prestige being the higher-end version. Ignoring the audio issue, I would like to get a “Prestige”. Audi offers 3 audio system: the “base” system, the Bose system ($850.0 upgrade over the Base), and the Bang and Olufsen system ($5900 upgrade above the Bose).

From what I read, here’s a synopsis of the Audio Systems.

With all these system, the driver interfaces with the Audio through the Audi “MMI” (Multi-media Interface). This is the heart and soul of the car and it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to try and mess with that. Therefore, I’m guessing a more “downstream” approach would be sensible? I believe the MMI interfaces with the primary amp via fiber but am not sure.

Base System (offered in the Premium Plus Trim Level but not Prestige): According to an enthusiast that has successfully upgraded his system, the speakers are actually decent (besides Subwoofer) just underpowered. Subwoofer/Sub Amp are not great and need to be replaced. In theory the speakers don’t have strange impedances, so an upgrade seems relatively easy to do tapping into the speaker level signal.

Bose System (Standard option available in the Prestige Trim Level / Offered as an upgrade in the Premium Plus Trim Level): Non-enthusiasts are fine/happy with it. Enthusiasts range from hating it to luke warm. Some have been very happy with just a relatively easy Sub/Sub Amp upgrade. In theory, the speakers are not 4 ohm…probably 2 ohm so that creates some problems as we discussed. Strangely there was one report of an Audio shop that got great results by simply switching out the speakers... which seems counter-intuitive. That post was questioned with no reply.

Bang and Olufsen (only offered as an upgrade in the Prestige Package): Owners of the system range from loving it to “happy they have it.” I have never read of an owner who wished they didn’t have it. Folks that don’t have it range from thinking it’s marginally better than the Bose to saying it’s “fine” but overpriced.

With all that said, my goal at this time is to determine what my options are to get some awesome sound beyond the Bang and Olfusen upgrade. Besides the price, it is more or less a custom order option and therefore I have not had a chance to audition it. For example, when I searched for dealer inventory yesterday, Denver (I live in Des Moines, IA) was the closest dealer that actually had a car in stock with the system.

I will send you a few links in separate e-mails where some owners elaborate on what they have done.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you are making progress. hopefully the shop is used to working on higher end vehicles and can offer you some good options to consider.

Feel free to post back their recommendations and I am sure I and others who have done sound upgrades can chime in on what they suggest
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did. They tap off the mmi like the other install you replicated/modified or how did that shop approach the best signal feed to the amp. I have heard mixed feelings about.tapping off the mmi..
Old 07-25-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bggifford
I have included below an e-mail that I sent to a local car audio shop based on your input and other threads that I have read both on AW and other sites. Hopefully I'm not too far off-base Main thing is I wanted you to know I appreciate your help and am attempting to put it to good use.

-------------------------------------------------------
As I stated over the phone, I plan to purchase an Audi A6 (2013 or 2014). They have 3 trim levels and I am considering 2 of them : “Premium Plus”, and “Prestige”…Prestige being the higher-end version. Ignoring the audio issue, I would like to get a “Prestige”. Audi offers 3 audio system: the “base” system, the Bose system ($850.0 upgrade over the Base), and the Bang and Olufsen system ($5900 upgrade above the Bose).

From what I read, here’s a synopsis of the Audio Systems.

With all these system, the driver interfaces with the Audio through the Audi “MMI” (Multi-media Interface). This is the heart and soul of the car and it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to try and mess with that. Therefore, I’m guessing a more “downstream” approach would be sensible? I believe the MMI interfaces with the primary amp via fiber but am not sure.

Base System (offered in the Premium Plus Trim Level but not Prestige): According to an enthusiast that has successfully upgraded his system, the speakers are actually decent (besides Subwoofer) just underpowered. Subwoofer/Sub Amp are not great and need to be replaced. In theory the speakers don’t have strange impedances, so an upgrade seems relatively easy to do tapping into the speaker level signal.

Bose System (Standard option available in the Prestige Trim Level / Offered as an upgrade in the Premium Plus Trim Level): Non-enthusiasts are fine/happy with it. Enthusiasts range from hating it to luke warm. Some have been very happy with just a relatively easy Sub/Sub Amp upgrade. In theory, the speakers are not 4 ohm…probably 2 ohm so that creates some problems as we discussed. Strangely there was one report of an Audio shop that got great results by simply switching out the speakers... which seems counter-intuitive. That post was questioned with no reply.

Bang and Olufsen (only offered as an upgrade in the Prestige Package): Owners of the system range from loving it to “happy they have it.” I have never read of an owner who wished they didn’t have it. Folks that don’t have it range from thinking it’s marginally better than the Bose to saying it’s “fine” but overpriced.

With all that said, my goal at this time is to determine what my options are to get some awesome sound beyond the Bang and Olfusen upgrade. Besides the price, it is more or less a custom order option and therefore I have not had a chance to audition it. For example, when I searched for dealer inventory yesterday, Denver (I live in Des Moines, IA) was the closest dealer that actually had a car in stock with the system.

I will send you a few links in separate e-mails where some owners elaborate on what they have done.

I'm sorry I did not see this post sooner. I've not been as active on these forums lately. Working a lot, plus been spending a lot of time tuning my car stereo for a competition coming up tomorrow.

If you have still not purchased your car yet, I would say go for the Prestige with the Bose system.... and then plan on doing a full upgrade to aftermarket.
If you like your music enough to pay $6000 for the Bang & Olufsen, you will be much happier with the performance that a $6000 aftermarket upgrade will provide by comparison.

Just be sure to find a good shop that has experience with high-end cars. You might need to travel to find one, depending on where you are located.

FYI - I am waiting on word from a stereo shop that will be testing the MoBridge DA1 in an S6 with Bose soon. If that works, it will give us Audi MMI owners a MUCH better option for tapping the audio signal.

Digital TOSlink directly from the MOST fiber optic network. Completely bypasses factory amplifier.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very old post - still searching through treasure trove of lots of information.

I have 2014 Prestige with Bose - and am..... underwhelmed, to say the least. It is 2019, service is up to date, so I have to assume all updates up until this past summer are applied. I will verify.

In my younger years - I'd never shy'ed away from a challenge of excellent/perfect sound. I had an Acura TL-S with the high end stereo that I completely gutted with 4 miles on the odometer. I am crazy.

So what's the deal on these bad boys? I recently purchased a 2014 Audi A6 Prestige w/Bose - and REALLY underwhelmed with it. Did this work? I'm trying to Google around on this little toy, and I can't make heads or tails of whether it was a successful install. I can do the work myself, but I would love a semi-sure compliment that this can be the start of a good system. This, plus a lead on an adapter to get me into the speakers without having to dissect the wiring harness and do all that madness.