Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

All-Weather Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-Weather Tires

What are the best performing all-weather tires on the market today? It seems just about every brand has an offering, but I'm not able to determine which of them would have the sportiest feel. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Go over to Tirerack.com and check out the ratings.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Tirerack is definitely the best resource online. Here you will get as many different opinions as there are tires.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I had Contis on my all road and have their snows on the A6, I'm a fan. They perform well and are quiet. I took the Pirelli all season tires that came with the car off as soon as I could, I thought they were horrible.
We get enough to snow and I have a long enough to commute that I needed dedicated snows for the winter; I run Michelin PSS's when it's warm.

Last edited by ColoradoMark; 01-10-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running Michelin Pilot AS3's now. They're great in dry and wet conditions (probably the best AS tire I've owned), but honestly crap in snow and ice. I'm going to switch to dedicated snows next winter and pick up a new set of wheels for performance tires. I will say that I had good experience with Continental DWS's (the previous gen) on my past A4 and feel that short of having a separate set of tires for winter/summer, they might be the best 4-season tire out there...

-Mark
Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviatorblue3.0
What are the best performing all-weather tires on the market today? It seems just about every brand has an offering, but I'm not able to determine which of them would have the sportiest feel. Thanks!
I have AS3 on one car, have had DWS on another...these are all great tires, but there is no such thing as an "all weather tire" which does well in all conditions. Tire manufacturers admit to this with disclaimer words such as "light" and "moderate" describing snow capability for so-called "all season" tires. Are you seeking primarily a great three-season tire, excluding winter? What climate in America will you be in?

If you are excluding winter, AS3 has an outstanding range of capability for three seasons, but is not great in snow. It was intended to provide as close to PSS performance in a wider range of climates. DWS06 has more light snow capability, but is more oriented toward ride comfort than the level of sporty performance offered by AS3. If you have all warm weather year round (above 45 degrees F), but will have simply wet vs. dry, PSS are top of the class....if you can be more detailed in your environment and requirements, this community can offer better advice.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-10-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Nokian offer all-weather tires: https://www.nokiantires.com/

All-weather tires have the winter tire stamp. All season tires don't have this designation.

Last edited by NABS4; 01-11-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviatorblue3.0
...but I'm not able to determine which of them would have the sportiest feel. Thanks!
Originally Posted by NABS4
Nokian offer all-weather tires: https://www.nokiantires.com/
These tires would not satisfy the OP's original requirement..."sportiest feel".
Ultimately, this will be some sort of compromise....either less than the sportiest feeling tires, two sets, less snow/ice capability, etc. An "All Weather PSS" just hasn't been invented yet.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
These tires would not satisfy the OP's original requirement..."sportiest feel".
Ultimately, this will be some sort of compromise....either less than the sportiest feeling tires, two sets, less snow/ice capability, etc. An "All Weather PSS" just hasn't been invented yet.
There will always be compromise with tire designs and types. Otherwise, there would be no need for winter, summer or all season - there would just be one type of tire in different sizes from each manufacturer.

Trade offs:
Handling/turn in response
Wet road performance
Dry road performance
Snow performance
Ice performance
Ride comfort
Tread life
Sidewall resistance to damage
Cost
Old 01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a pair of AS3 and they are great besides the fact that they are a lil on the loud side.

My other pair are P-Zero Nero AS which is fine so far

Quick Reply: All-Weather Tires