Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Alignment $$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment $$$

My car is at the dealership. I needed to get new tires so I ordered 4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires from tirerack and had them delivered to my local dealership. I called the dealership and they recommended a 4 wheel alignment as well as mounting and balancing...the cost quoted was $345. I was fine with that so I dropped the car off yesterday for the work to be competed today.

I receive a call from them this morning. The dealership tech who I have worked with for over two years now says he did not realize that my car had HUD, nightvision, and adaptive cruise control. Therefore, the alignment is more involved and the total cost now jumps to over $700. Upon hearing this my head exploded; I have used this dealership numerous times over the last two years. They have records and should be familiar with my vehicle because they are an Audi dealership (so they should be intimately familiar with the product they sell) and have worked on my specific vehicle many times before.

My question is does this price jump seem appropriate? Calibrating the various systems on the car with the alignment should not be more difficult than hooking it up to the computer and pushing a few buttons. The price jump seems ridiculous.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ineoraudi
My car is at the dealership. I needed to get new tires so I ordered 4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires from tirerack and had them delivered to my local dealership. I called the dealership and they recommended a 4 wheel alignment as well as mounting and balancing...the cost quoted was $345. I was fine with that so I dropped the car off yesterday for the work to be competed today.

I receive a call from them this morning. The dealership tech who I have worked with for over two years now says he did not realize that my car had HUD, nightvision, and adaptive cruise control. Therefore, the alignment is more involved and the total cost now jumps to over $700. Upon hearing this my head exploded; I have used this dealership numerous times over the last two years. They have records and should be familiar with my vehicle because they are an Audi dealership (so they should be intimately familiar with the product they sell) and have worked on my specific vehicle many times before.

My question is does this price jump seem appropriate? Calibrating the various systems on the car with the alignment should not be more difficult than hooking it up to the computer and pushing a few buttons. The price jump seems ridiculous.
Can't say much on the cost of the alignment with adaptive CC but 345 is a rip off for the standard alignment. Mine is at the dealer today and only costs 189. What dealer?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I get alignment on our 2014 A6, 2016 A7 and 2012 A8 for 150 at my local Audi dealer. My A7 has Hud and my A6 has ACC etc. You are getting a bit ripped off.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 on what others have stated. It should run ~$150 at the dealer and heck there are cheaper options...but from what the OP stated and the techs "reasoning", well it sounds a lot like snake oil.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi Silver Spring is the dealership. I definitely feel like they are playing games. I will post an update when I get my car back but at this point I feel like they gave up long $$$ for a short rip off. I would have used them in the future for repairs and I would have bought my next Audi from them. Now I am done with them, integrity means a lot to me and this dealership appears to lack that quality.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ineoraudi
Audi Silver Spring is the dealership. I definitely feel like they are playing games. I will post an update when I get my car back but at this point I feel like they gave up long $$$ for a short rip off. I would have used them in the future for repairs and I would have bought my next Audi from them. Now I am done with them, integrity means a lot to me and this dealership appears to lack that quality.
They were awful back in 2008...never been there since. I would try Criswell in Annapolis or Arlington. Much better.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found this online. Never even thought about additional work for the additional systems. http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NAT...TRG-013014.pdf
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I could not open the link
Old 10-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Link should open to a 91 page PDF outline procedure for alignment. Wonder if the site is blocking URL links?

Second attempt: http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NAT...TRG-013014.pdf
Old 10-07-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

First link worked for me.

Quick Reply: Alignment $$$