Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ACC radar units stolen on S6 in 15 seconds

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default ACC radar units stolen on S6 in 15 seconds

Here's one from an S6 owner I've not heard of before. Sounds too easy - $2700 each and both gone in 15 seconds. It used to be stealing airbags was a prime target - now it's this, apparently. Something else to worry about for us ACC owners.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2863678

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-28-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lovely. Is that a Comprehensive insurance claim?

Also wondering where he got his prices. I just looked them up and neither one is $2700. Right is the more expensive one at $2133, the left is $1728, both MSRP. Wholesale is 1706.40 and $1382.40.

Last edited by Mike_L; 03-28-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

I highly doubt the story.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Lovely. Is that a Comprehensive insurance claim?

Also wondering where he got his prices. I just looked them up and neither one is $2700. Right is the more expensive one at $2133, the left is $1728, both MSRP. Wholesale is 1706.40 and $1382.40.
Maybe he was quoted with labor? If the thief damaged any wiring, etc., dealer labor charges could be stiff. Even if just the parts and he's off on the prices, they're still not cheap to replace. Certainly more than the wiper blades which are the only other things I can think of that could be stolen in that short a time.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-29-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I highly doubt the story.
Why do you doubt it? I don't believe it's a stretch to think a practiced, motivated thief with a few simple tools and no concern for proper removal procedure or collateral damage could do it quickly. The OP says his company's security camera has the theft on video - ask him if he's making it up. Or you could leave your car in his parking lot for a few nights to see if the story could be verified.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The way the guys post is written doesn't lend itself to fully believing it but that doesn't mean it is absolutely false. Either way it would obviously have to be a professional that would even know how to remove them and that quickly and then be able to dispose of them for a profit.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Maybe he was quoted with labor? If the thief damaged any wiring, etc., dealer labor charges could be stiff. Even if just the parts and he's off on the prices, they're still not cheap to replace. Certainly more than the wiper blades which are the only other things I can think of that could be stolen in that short a time.
I believe that $1000 is what the dealer charges to align the cameras/active cruise systems.

That's what the body shop told us about fixing some bumper rash on our A8. The paintwork was cheap, but getting Audi to re-align the cameras and ACC after the bumper was put back on was very expensive.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
The way the guys post is written doesn't lend itself to fully believing it but that doesn't mean it is absolutely false. Either way it would obviously have to be a professional that would even know how to remove them and that quickly and then be able to dispose of them for a profit.
I agree on the Pros. The stolen parts shadow industry is bigger than most realize. Evidence the market in stolen air bags reported over the last few years. There are professional thieves that specialize in this kind of thing and have honed their art even to where a car can be totally stripped by a swarm team in a remarkably short period of time. (Drop a car off on the side of the Cross-Bronx Expressway in NYC for a couple of hours at night to see this in action). These guys also have their outlets established to dispose of the parts.

If I didn't care about damage, with a few tools (and something more than 15 seconds), I bet I could rip out the ACC lenses from my car. Assuming I actually took the bet, of course.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I believe that $1000 is what the dealer charges to align the cameras/active cruise systems.

That's what the body shop told us about fixing some bumper rash on our A8. The paintwork was cheap, but getting Audi to re-align the cameras and ACC after the bumper was put back on was very expensive.
My car is at the dealer now having this done after the bodyshop fixed my front end. They quoted my insurance company $450 for the recalibration but they may have been giving them a deal because they are going through and resetting/rechecking all the electronics.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Why do you doubt it? I don't believe it's a stretch to think a practiced, motivated thief with a few simple tools and no concern for proper removal procedure or collateral damage could do it quickly. The OP says his company's security camera has the theft on video - ask him if he's making it up. Or you could leave your car in his parking lot for a few nights to see if the story could be verified.
Do you automatically believe everything someone posts? He's got one post, and it's written in all caps. No pics either. I doubt it's true as well.

Last edited by dwboston; 03-29-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACC radar units stolen on S6 in 15 seconds